Non-Leadership HQ command squad that pulls his points? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Non-Leadership HQ command squad that pulls his points?

hi, leadership is not a problem for my army, but my HQ command squad never pulls its weight, he never makes his points back no matter what i do, unless i give him a lascannon and have him kill something like a predator...

do you have any suggestions on what i should do?

the rest of my army works well, and my junior officer command squads are fine(one with 2 flamers,& 2 ccw killed an entire hormagaunt brood, single handedly.

Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

I've had the same problem. I think the solution might be to bring a cheaper command squad so I'm not worried about making as much points with it. What is your command squad normally?

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

i normally run a HSO with a pwr weapon, and a storm bolter

and then either 2 grenade launchers, a flag, and a shotgun/laspistol ccw

or just 4 grenade launchers

it costs a little more than a chimera, and if your against hordes its great because it doesn't get killed(run away while you shoot at them from long range) and it has a pretty good amount of firepower especially considering that it uses scatter now insted of bs for blasts
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

IMO, HSO's are for Ld only. If you dont want to use their Ld stat, then a JO will do... especially if your other JO squads are working well.
    Save the points from the down grade of the officer, the flag and maybe the storm bolter and put them to good use elswhere.

4x Grenade launchers is an awsome squad. I almost always run at least one JO squad with 3x grenade launchers to great effect.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

If you officer squad isn't geared up to counter assault then you are really just paying for the point of leadership by making him a HSO. You should just take a JO with a flag. It costs less than half as much as the upgrade to HSO and with the leadership ability it gives you it is more effective than a plus one in leadership. You could buy a remnant squad or a lascannon with the points. I have not tried this setup yet but it is my current thoughts on the topic and I intend to set my officer squads up with this in mind when I get the chance and see how it works.

Before you can your current squad set up, which looks like a good set up, are you taking other things into account when you are measuring the value of it? Is it rallying your troops? Are you just counting points killed?

I might drop the power weapon and give him iron discipline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My HSO is just LD. I give him nothing, and take a mortar for the retinue, so at least they have some other role, and a standard. I have a commissar (again with no additions) so with him providing the LD bubble I might drop the HSO for a JO, few more points to spend....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of a four melta gun drop squad HQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

The point I'm trying to make is that if your command squad isn't pulling its weight, the problem might be that it is overpriced. Bringing a HSO and a commissar is going to cost you 110 points. Bringing a JO with a flag costs 51 points. You can buy a whole line squad with the points difference. I'm not a mathammer wizard but I imagine that leadership 8 times 2 is better or at least as good as leadership 10 anyway.

If your command squad isn't for cc why would you want to spend 4 plasma guns worth of points on a commissar for it? You'll probable just be a cc speed bump anyway. A remnant squad with a flame thrower, costs less, and will probable do more damage. I would only invest in a commissar for fluffy hard core cc command squads.

You get the same firepower out of a JO with a flag and 3 grenade launchers as a HSO with a flag and 3 grenade launchers. The JO just costs 30 points less. Unless you are in cc that you will probable lose anyway that 1 leadership point is costing you 30 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It usually depends on who I'm playing against. If I expect to be charged in CC, then I usually get an HSO with power weapon with a powerfist wielding commissar. I also give at least one junior officer a master-crafted powerfist and honorifica and deploy them in order to flank the assailants. Having close order drill also helps since the HSO strikes at Ini 5.

If not, then I just deploy a regular SO with no wargear.
    Imperial Guard: 3000 pts
    Chaos Daemons: 1000 pts

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

With the new rules on retinues I've found a HSO with powerfist and either shotgun or storm bolter works wonders. He can't be singled out which provides 3 S6 attacks. Although the small size of the squad means he still isn't too safe but I like this because I run Indy Commissars so all my Commissars can always be singled out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast