4th Edition Tournament: Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

4th Edition Tournament: Help!

I posted this in the Tau Empire section too, but it applies to the Space Marine community too so I'm posting here as well to get more responses.

Alright guys, here's the deal. Saturday, August 2nd, 2008 I'm going to be in a large (around 30 people) tournament, and I've got a good deal of stuff to prepare.

The rules:
    Every battle will have 2500 points per side.
    Sides are split into two 1250 point forces.
    Both forces must fit into a single force organization chart.
    Armies are allowed an unlimited allotment of TROOPS choices.
    Each force is controlled by a different person.
    The two forces do not have to be from the same codex (a.k.a any two armies may be teamed up).
    There must be a feasible backstory for why these two forces are cooperating.
    Abilities in one army do not affect another army (for example, an Ethereal won't let allied guardsmen reroll failed morale checks).
    Winning yields a magnificent prize of some sort, so I'm in this entirely to win.
    Battles are fought on a 4'x6' board.
    Missions and levels are unknown.

I am playing my Tau and my ally is a Space Marine (vanilla) player with decent experience.

What should I field, what should he field, and how should we field it? That is the question I put to you now.

Here's a summary of my models:

1: Aun'shi
    1: O'shovah
    11: Crisis Suits
    9: Stealth Suits
    48: Fire Warriors
    20: Kroot
    12: Pathfinders
    16: Gun Drones
    10: Broadsides
    7: Tanks, with parts for 3 Skyrays, and 6 Hammerheads.

I've got some ideas, my partner has agreed to let me have 1 HQ slot, 2 ELITE slots and 3 HEAVY SUPPORT slots. He's taking 1 chaplain with jump-pack with an assault squad, and he tells me he has 4 TROOP choices so far, and one Venerable Dreadnought. What do you say, LO?

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Gave you all three HS slots, eh? Well, he definitely knows what he wants - railguns!

Now, I've no idea how your partner likes to play, or what tactics/units he specializes in, but the general wisdom here would be for your Tau to hang back, providing long and mid-ranged firepower while the marines wade in to handle the mid range to Assault range. Natural strengths of each army and whatnot.

Given the points limit and the choices he's made, I'll bet that he's pretty near to maxed out now - an Assault squad plus upgrades runs 250-300 points, plus another 125-150 for the Chaplain. Assuming the troops are Tactical squads, that's something like 600 points plus equipment, and a Ven Dread can run you as much as 150. 1200 points there, plus gear for the Tac squads (and some number shuffling, as they may not all be full squads) puts him at the limit.

To put it simply, he's fielding a lot of Tactical Marines with a lot of Bolters. At best he might be carrying one heavy weapon per squad, but odds are that he knows Tau are better suited to bringing the big guns, so my vote goes to a loadout that's heavy on the special weapons - Meltaguns, Plasma Guns and Flamers. He's built to go up close and personal, so I'd expect the army to get in close and pummel things with massed Bolter salvos and assaults when they're viable (especially the Assault squad).

Your job, then, is threefold:

>>First, Tank Hunting. Railgun + Tank = Kaboom... You know the drill.
    >>Second is general fire support. The Marines should do the dirty work, you want to help them out as much as you can. Having a Crisis team in among the Marines should do nicely for hitting any particularly tough targets and letting the Marines dismantle the rest.
    >>Third priority is troubleshooting. Be prepared to go after hotspots that threaten the front lines. Shooting up any heavy assault units before they hit your allied forces, or neutralizing things like plasma-heavy Marine hunting squads would be a tremendous help - they're the biggest issues for most Marine forces. Also, keeping anti-tank fire off of the Dreadnought is a big help - a Ven Dread will cause huge amounts of carnage if he's not under constant fire.

Railguns are definitely a plus, but you might want to bring along an Ion Cannon if you can, just for volume of fire. Crisis squads are normally a Marine's worst enemy, but it's amazing how well they work together when they get the chance. Also highly reccommended. Beyond that, You're probably the best one to decide what covers those jobs best.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

I've only played with him once, but from what I saw he's a fairly defensive player (we teamed up against Tau and I got him to charge straight across the field with his assault squad, he commented on how he never uses them nearly that aggressively) and he was fielding tactical squads with plasma cannons.

I'll tell you what I know of his choices:

He mentioned helping me out with apothacaries, so I assume he'll be bringing those in his tactical squads.
    He always takes an adamantium mantle on his Chaplain, along with jump pack, no bionics.
    He likes plasma cannons, in the battle we played he had a tactical squad with plasma cannon and a devastator squad with two.
    I asked him to have marines available to defend my static units, I was considering using Broadsides from the start and so I wanted units who could defend against assaulters.

I'm going to call him today and make sure he's min/maxing his tac squads. I also want to see what he's planned on bringing. I plan on using a victory flank tactic, aka evenly divide my forces, then put as much firepower as possible into making sure one of the flanks survive, even at the detriment to the other flank. This ensures a surviving flank that will be able to eliminate the attackers at leisure that destroyed the sacrificial flank.

Using your advice, I concentrated on bringing high strength weaponry to the field. Knowing that I aim to use the Victory Flank tactic, here's my list:

HQ
    Shas’el +Plasma Rifle +Missle Pod +Targeting Array +Hard-wired Multi-tracker

ELITE
    Crisis +Twin-linked Missle Pod +Targeting Array +Team Leader +Bonding Knife
    Crisis +Twin-linked Missle Pod +Targeting Array

ELITE
    Crisis +Twin-linked Missle Pod +Targeting Array +Team Leader +Bonding Knife

TROOP
    1 Fire Warrior +Pulse Rifle +Shas’ui +Bonding Knife +Marker-light +Hard-wired Target-lock
    11 Fire Warriors +Pulse Rifles

TROOP
    1 Fire Warrior +Pulse Rifle +Shas’ui +Bonding Knife +Marker-light +Hard-wired Target-lock
    11 Fire Warriors +Pulse Rifles

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Skyray +Multi-tracker +Targeting Array +Decoy Launchers +Burst Cannons

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Broadside +Targeting Array +Twin-linked Plasma Rifles +Team Leader +Bonding Knife +Hard-wired Multi-tracker +Hard-wired Target-lock +1Shield Drone
    Broadside +Multi-tracker +Twin-linked Plasma Rifles

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Broadside +Targeting Array +Twin-linked Plasma Rifles +Team Leader +Bonding Knife +Hard-wired Multi-tracker +Hard-wired Target-lock +1Shield Drone
    Broadside +Multi-tracker +Twin-linked Plasma Rifles

The aim is to put one Crisis team, Fire Warrior squad and Broadside Battlesuit team in each corner, and deploy the Skyray and Shas'el behind cover in the middle of the board. After deployment, I'll be able to analyze which flank will most likely survive and send the Skyray and Shas'el to support. The Skyray will be able to mark targets for the Fire Warrior squads (the only squads needing the support, and I'll only rely on one markerlight hit per turn from the Skyray), and with its target lock it will be able to launch seeker missles, and fire each burst cannon at different targets. The Fire Warrior team leaders will be able to mark targets for other units or fire Seeker Missles; if they both fire seeker missles for the whole game then, statistically, it will take the whole game to use all of my seeker missles. After that, each squad will fire at different level targets (Broadsides aiming for tanks and monstrous creatures, Fire Warriors aiming for infantry, and Crisis teams going for whatever is in between). I believe my ally will be helping me with my salvos of fire, but also assault targets of opportunity, this will allow us an edge against purely ranged-combat oriented armies.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

+ Reply to Thread