New to Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Guard

Hi guys. Like the title says, I'm new to guard and was looking for some help. I didn't see a "newbie" section and the search section didn't resolve my question so I'm going to ask it here. Is there any way to model Tunnel Rats for a Guard army? Are there Tunnel Rat sprues? I've never seen them before, but I was curious. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyslasher View Post
    Hi guys. Like the title says, I'm new to guard and was looking for some help. I didn't see a "newbie" section and the search section didn't resolve my question so I'm going to ask it here. Is there any way to model Tunnel Rats for a Guard army? Are there Tunnel Rat sprues? I've never seen them before, but I was curious. Thanks in advance for the advice.
    From your friendly neighborhood Time Lord 40k mod, welcome to 40k, welcome to LO, and welcome to the Imperial Guard!

I'm tempted to move this to the modeling forum, but Guard players may have a better idea what the rats look like. I suggest you post the same question there.

As to Tunnel Rats, I don't know of any sprues per se, but there are some conversions out there showing some tunneling soldiers. I've also heard of a capsule with a giant drill bit on one end that's supposed to carry people underground, called a "termite." There's no 40k version of this, but I think the Epic range has a model, which you could at least use as a base to try to copy in 40k scale. Also, consider that the plastic Cadian and Catachan models are pretty easy to modify into something else, provided you have the patience, spare bits, sharp tools, and greenstuff.
    Last edited by Canew; July 30th, 2008 at 22:15.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Canew has pretty much answered the question, however there is one thing I think needs adding.

When modelling guard, unless you are doing one of the main armies, that have standardised models (ie. a range sold by GW), then you have to convert them yourself. If you wish to have an army of Tunnel rats (for example) then it is a good idea to draw up a concept list with a little bit of background. Once you have this concept then players can give you more specific advice. If tunnel rats are what I am thinking then looking for photos of combat engineers in the world wars, or even ones created for guard armies, may help.

The suggestions that Canew made are pretty accurate and I have seen conversions made which include the termite. I may suggest trying to get hold of, and look through, the imperial armour books as they may give you some extra inspiration or even some rules which can be adapted.

Hope that helps

A
    Last edited by Commisarlestat; August 1st, 2008 at 01:54. Reason: my ineptitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Fresh guard meat, oh boy. lol Welcome to the hobby and to the guard. Your best bet as a fore mentioned is to check out the stickied threads about just this topic, being new to the guard. Sadly there are no spurs for the tunnel rats though converting them is always fun to do. Though try your hand at just playing around with cadians before you start converting an entire army. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread