What nid scares a Grey Knight? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

What nid scares a Grey Knight?

Although I don't face them often, my nid army, which seems to do great against almost any other opponent, struggles against grey knight lists. Its tough because of the sheer amount of AP4 and 5 a GK player can throw out a turn which destroy even my horde of gaunts and genestealers like it was nothing. Whats more, the nemesis weapons actually outfight even my monstrous creatures in CC which is harsh reality for a nid player.

So I thought I'd pose it to the GK community and ask what nid units and strategies do you not like seeing set up across from you?

"Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Well I hate to say it but if his list is like mine nids are almost never a problem as the number of stormbolters we can take makes hordes go away and S6 power weapons from our squad leaders and terminators can take down your big bugs.

However the following type list could work really well.

HQs = walking deviltyrant + 3 guards

Troops (any number of stealers are your best bet)

Elites = if you got extra points some devilfexs

Heavy = sniperfexs

(none of your big bugs need improved armor, although the improved toughness would help with your fexs)

With the new cover rules use the tyrants + guards + fexs to form a screen for all your stealers and just use the stealers as counter assault and objective takers. This will let you save some points if you want to skip on the improved armor save for the stealers.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the biggest would be guant hordes and Warriors. I really am not bothered by any kind of fex GKs can beat the piss out of most of them. I say the best shot is just overrun them. Its all you rly can do cuz you can't rly go low number and expect to beat them even a big Nidzilla list with tons of CC fexs is in trouble with so many GK power weapons. Its rly hard to say but no matter how you go it is a good fight once you get to CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stealers are bad imo, because its easy for a nid player to take alot of them, with a broodlord is even worse.

Ive played a Nid armie with 4 x 8 Stealers and a broodlord and a flyrant. This was in 4th ed, i think by the end of the 4th turn I only had my GM and GKT ret left which got wiped by the broodlord and a stealer unit in 1 turn.

Stealers high init + high WS + Rending + Fleet is what makes me fear them. You'll only get 1 or 2 turns of shooting if your lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Probably the thing we're least equipped to deal with are shooty monstrous creatures. We don't have the high-strength, low AP ranged weaponry to reliably wound them, so we're forced to engage them in close combat. A solid base of dakka/sniper monstrous creatures backed up by Genestealers to counter-charge any Grey Knight sorties could prove pretty nasty.

I'd avoid close-combat monstrous creatures and hordes of little bugs, for the most part, since we have tools to deal with both of them.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasten View Post
    Probably the thing we're least equipped to deal with are shooty monstrous creatures. We don't have the high-strength, low AP ranged weaponry to reliably wound them, so we're forced to engage them in close combat. A solid base of dakka/sniper monstrous creatures backed up by Genestealers to counter-charge any Grey Knight sorties could prove pretty nasty.

I'd avoid close-combat monstrous creatures and hordes of little bugs, for the most part, since we have tools to deal with both of them.

-H
    I dont really agree regarding the fexes, you'll find most GK lists have at least 1-2 Lascannons in them, an a couple of psycannons too. My list ive used previous had 2 TLLC/MC Dreads, fexes are obvious targets for these weapons since theres not any tanks around to bust up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by ethsar46 View Post
    I dont really agree regarding the fexes, you'll find most GK lists have at least 1-2 Lascannons in them, an a couple of psycannons too. My list ive used previous had 2 TLLC/MC Dreads, fexes are obvious targets for these weapons since theres not any tanks around to bust up.
    1-2 lascannons, huh? Against 7 or so monstrous creatures in a 1500 point nidzilla list (this list just tossed in by way of example)? Psycannons are certainly better at wounding these guys than stormbolters are, but you're still talking about a 50% wounding chance, follow by a 3+ or 2+ armor save to beat. And that's 28 wounds -minimum- you'll have to chew through, using this list as an example.

I'm not saying they're impossible to beat, or that we have no tools to cope with them. But the standard Grey Knights list is better equipped to deal with hordes due to our high number of mobile anti-infantry shots with all those stormbolters and psycannons.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think a shooty nidzilla list like the one above is significantly scarrier than anything else 'nids can bring to the table.

One other thing of note is that I don't believe our GM's Force Weapon can insta-kill Tyranid Monstrous Creatures anymore. While I haven't yet picked up the 5th edition rulebook, I understand they've changed Force Weapons so that they inflict Instant Death (the rule), which creatures in Synapse range are immune to. So the days of exploding Carnifexs' heads with a single wound are over. More's the pity =).

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I was a little weary around revenors and genestealers in HTH under 4th, but with rending being neutered, I don't see any nids as "Scary" or insurmountable.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Senior Member image vertification sux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    I was a little weary around revenors and genestealers in HTH under 4th, but with rending being neutered, I don't see any nids as "Scary" or insurmountable.
    Yeah especially with a good placed incinerator template before the charge.
    I might write like a ork but i fight like a poet.
    Some one tell me they have ever seen a nightbringer die from a Nemesis Force Weapon.

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

136 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by image vertification sux View Post
    Yeah especially with a good placed incinerator template before the charge.
    If any unit reliably gets to flame a unit of 'nids before charging them, then the 'Nids player has done something wrong.

Flamers aren't as good as fluff suggests against 'nids, horde units tend to be fast enough to avoid them, and they don't do all that much against MCs. And even if you do get to flame the horde, odds are that's the only shot you'll make with it all game.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

And, I'll add this so I can avoid righteous Mod-wrath, looking at the above arguments, taking shooty MCs, in abundance, seems the way to go.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast