Some questions about space wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some questions about space wolves

So, I like marines ( who doesn't? ) and I've always had a little desire for melee combat. This leads me to space wolves, the obvious chapter for me. I purchased the codex and now, I have a few questions:

- The armory indicates two point costs for certain items, the first is for wolf guard and the second for everyone else. So, does wolf guard battle leader (the cheaper HQ) get a cheaper power weapon than a wolf lord?

- Is belt of russ a necessary piece of wargear for my leader in small games, such as 500 or 750 points?

-Which troops choices are best used in smaller games, the bolter equipped, slightly more expensive wolf guard, or the maniac, cheaper blood claws?

-Does the ( very, very cheap ) terminator armour come with storm bolter and power weapon/power fist? If not, what then?

-Should I spend more points on my leader, equipping him with a frost axe, pistol and belt of russ, or just use a simple, cheap leader with power weapon and a pistol?

I'd also like to hear some advice on equipment, mainly with Troop and HQ choices ( remember, 500-750 point games ) and what do you lot think of da coolest chapter in warhammer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the latest errate sheets on the games workshop website the Wolf Guard Battle Leader doesn't get to use the Wolf Guard points when selecting wargear.

I don't have the codex to hand but as I recall you only get the Terminator armour, weapons is extra.

I always go for a mix of motorised Grey Hunters and Blood claws for troops rather than a unit of Wolf Guard, though I like individual Wolf Guards to act as pack leaders.

I usually use a Wolf Priest as leader but for smaller games I would go with the cheapest leader and use the points saved to buy extra marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there, im a happy Space Wolves player of several years.

Well, the best and most accurate thing to do is to download all the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) pdf files from the games workshops sites. I have Space Wolves FAQ 4.1 and the new 5.0 edition versions.

Nonetheless to clear things up for you,

1. ALL HQ Choices, including the Wolf Guard Battle Leader (and the Iron Priest from the Elites) that may choose items from the space wolf armoury must choose from the "OTHER" points value which is X / XX <--- this one. Where-as Wolf-Guard and Wolf Guard Leaders (from the Elites section) must use the "Wolf Guard" points value which is this one ---> X / XX.

2. No its not necessary, but a 4+ invulnerable save for your pricey wolf lord at 25pts is a good investment since most other hq choices or sergeants could possibly have a nasty powerfist or power weapon somewhere.

3. In my opinion, i would only use Wolf Guard as my leaders / sergeants for my squads, especially in smaller armies as they give more combat prowess (with en extra attack) and bump your units up to Ld9. However, Grey Hunters are a 1+ choice as they represent the mainstay of a Space Wolf Force, and Blood Claws are cheap enough to have a unit of them in addition to your Grey Hunter squad.

4. Im pretty sure that Space Wolf HQ's as well as Wolf Guard already come with the extra attack on their profile normally awarded from Codex: Space Marines - terminator honours, thus when Wolf Guard especially choose terminator armour, they pay only for the armour itself and must pay addition points cost for the weapons you choose. As they can have nigh any assortment you want.

5. Well, with BS 5 hitting on 2's, a plasma pistol also wounding mostly on 2's can make up its points value quickly. The frost blade is a personal favourite allowing you to wound standard marines on a 3+ instead of the usual 4, and a power weapon to boot. YAY refer to belt of russ from previous. Though it is obviously entirely up to you. Though i like my space wolf leaders to be hard core monsters. its great fun they easily make up their points value.

6. Refer to the thread containing "POLL: What do you think of Space Wolves Chapter" for about 50+ peoples idea's of this amazing chapter. Ill get back to you with a 500 or 750 list perhaps tomorrow, or today, depending on your timezone lol.

Hope this helps. basically, FAQ should answer these and more.
    Proud -=< ANZAC CLAN >=- Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responds. I'm also working on a 750 pts army. Gonna post it here maybe tonight, who knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Clearasil View Post
    So, I like marines ( who doesn't? ) and I've always had a little desire for melee combat. This leads me to space wolves, the obvious chapter for me. I purchased the codex and now, I have a few questions:
    Firstly welcome to the pack young pup...

- The armory indicates two point costs for certain items, the first is for wolf guard and the second for everyone else. So, does wolf guard battle leader (the cheaper HQ) get a cheaper power weapon than a wolf lord?
    Actually... no. Because he is a Wolf Guard and not a Wolf Lord doesn't mean he gets a power weapon cheaper! It is as AzzA said...

- Is belt of russ a necessary piece of wargear for my leader in small games, such as 500 or 750 points?
    In so small games? I wouldn't recommend it but you're free to take whatever you like...

-Which troops choices are best used in smaller games, the bolter equipped, slightly more expensive wolf guard, or the maniac, cheaper blood claws?
    That depends on the opponent's army and his style of play as well as to your style of play. If you want more shooting Grey Hunters. If you like the close combat, the bloody fray then you should go with th Blood Claws. As you will find out in later games a mix of both is always better...

-Does the ( very, very cheap ) terminator armour come with storm bolter and power weapon/power fist? If not, what then?
    Only the armor... then you add the points for arming your Terminator!

-Should I spend more points on my leader, equipping him with a frost axe, pistol and belt of russ, or just use a simple, cheap leader with power weapon and a pistol?
    Again it is up to you... I know this is a frustrating answer. But you have to play test all the possibilities to have an idea for what to choose and what not! In larger games I would beef him up!

I'd also like to hear some advice on equipment, mainly with Troop and HQ choices ( remember, 500-750 point games ) and what do you lot think of da coolest chapter in warhammer?
    I am fielding at the moment a fast attack, heavily mech list of Wolves... Many Rhinos for the transports, bikes and armor!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

+ Reply to Thread