Command Squad Wargear Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Command Squad Wargear Ideas

Command squads are almost like their own special weapon teams, and can do some pretty cool stuff. They can carry all sorts of weapons and have all sorts of different wargear. I was thinking about all this, and I realized something: I'm misusing my Vets that I've got in my command squad. I mean, sure, I've got a guy toting around a special weapon, my commander has a plasma pistol and a power sword, and then I've got the much-bemoaned vox-caster dude....but my Standard Bearer and Medic are both toting nothing more special than a pair of lasguns.

So, I had a couple ideas. First, I could change out their lasguns for something else...such as a bolter or a stormbolter or a shotgun, or maybe one of the specialty pistols and a CCW. But looking at the rules, I noticed the bit about two weapons, but only one two-handed. In theory, I could leave my lasguns on those two, then, but also give them a pistol of some sort for some short-range hitting power! Or combine the bigger two-hand with those pistols (though why I'd want to is beyond me).

And I could do the same, all the way down my line squads by upgrading the sergeants to veteran sergeants!

What do you think? Would this actually work?

Last edited by Zeewulf; August 4th, 2008 at 11:16.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Whether or not this will work depends almost exclusively on how many points you have to play with. Doing this can become very expensive - the cost of the upgrade to veteran + the cost of the weapons, etc. It works nicely if you do it few and far between, in my experience.

I use Commissars in every command squad - so that already gives me extra hitting power, but I also have a single veteran Sergeant in my 1st Platoon command squad who has a Plasma Pistol and a Bolt Pistol + bionics, medallion crimson and carapce armour. He's ridiculously hard, but easily overlooked for the fact that he really doesn't look too different from a regular Sergeant. I'd love to make every Sergeant like that - but I just don't have the points in a regular game - this is the biggest problem with your theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Generally, I play 2000 point games, and I keep some extra 'fluff' points available so that I can swap out for more important equipment. So generally, point's isn't as much of a worry. Of course, I'm not going to go and covert all my squads! I'll just build a separate model for each and swap him in when I want to use him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly just use my command squads as LD bubbles. My HQ has a standard bearer with a bolt pistol and bionics (bionics just for fluff really, he's using an SM standard and SM left bolt pistol arm, so I say they're robot parts), sometimes a mortar, sometimes a grenade launcher/plasma gun, and my officer has a power sword because it's on the Steel Legion officer model I use. With the platoon commands, they're completely base, the only upgrade being iron discipline, though if I have leftover points I give them mortars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

If you have a few points to spare, Bolters &/or Bolt pistols are a god improvement for few points. But more expesive weapons sounds a litle risky, after all they stil have the same weak T and armor save in a 5 men mini-squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

To be honest about the save, I use Carapace Armor as a doctrine. I know it eats a ton of points, but it's saved a number of guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Oh... then maybe you can use the command squad as a bait, for setup a trap. After all, it looks like a yummy target for me. The Medallion Crimson is a good adition for carapace armor and the medipack for these kind of mission.
    Last edited by mareo; August 5th, 2008 at 04:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

In my first attempt at a guard army, back when catachans were first released, I upgraded every Sgt to Vet and gave them a bolter.
    The bolter only hits half the time and doesn't make that much difference. And when the Sgt dies, he gives up twice as many points as he would have done with default weapons.

Giving the Medic or Standard a bolter is sensible enough if the mood takes you, and you have a point or 2 to spare.

Just be wary of tooling up your Sgts, they are not marines.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x4)

Yeah, its dangerous to give a regular line-squad sergeant extra junk. I'd say the best place for an upgraded sergeant is in an Armored Fist squad not equipped with a heavy weapon. They could use the extra bit of firepower.

+ Reply to Thread