orbital bombardments? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

orbital bombardments?

hi,

when I read through the codex I realy liked the idea of striking somewhere without my opponent knowing it... after reading it I searched trough the army list section and i found no orbital bombs anywere....

plz tell me are they realy that bad??
    and I'am starting an dh army what should I buy first (looking forward to a 500 pnt game)??

grtz

Last edited by innaedokwan; August 12th, 2008 at 12:27. Reason: unproper spelling :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Heyya, first off please use proper spelling and capitalization (the shift key is there for a reason!), as it makes posts much easier to parse. Regarding your question, the downside of orbital strikes is their unpredictability. They're wildly inaccurate, and you must choose your target before deployment begins, so there's a chance that the strike will not kill a thing. The concensus seems to be that they make good psychological weapons, but are not as competetive due to their unpredictability.

As far as what to buy, that's entirely up to you! I'd suggest figuring out a 500 point list before you buy models =). You can browse some of the 500 point army lists around here for some ideas. A pretty common choice would be a Brother-captain (you could use a regular Grey Knight Terminator model, or one with a psycannon), 10 or so vanilla Grey Knights, two Justicars, and maybe two more Grey Knights with psycannons. Those get fielded in lists pretty often. Also at 500 points, you can't afford a whole lot, so Inquisitorial Stormtroopers will often be one of the troops choices. Probably 6 vanilla ISTs and two with plasma guns or melta guns would be a decent choice.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry about my spelling, sometimes English is hard if you are Dutch... sorry.
    And thanks very much about your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the orbital strikes are under rated by alot of people, the problem is for DH's we really need those heavy support choices for tanks/dreads.

I think the Orbital Strikes might be more useful in 5th as you can use it as a deterant against using a certain piece of terrain as cover. Down side obviously is you dont want to go near said terrain either because it can hit your own troops.

Im not sure how the new pie plate rules have effected orbital bombardments either. Im guess they still scatter the old 2D6.

People should be putting more terrain on the tables now with the new 5th ed rules so you should now have more targetting options hopefully.

But as stated, dont count on them doing any significant damage unless your feeling rather lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ethsar46 View Post
    I think the orbital strikes are under rated by alot of people, the problem is for DH's we really need those heavy support choices for tanks/dreads.

But as stated, dont count on them doing any significant damage unless your feeling rather lucky.
    Yeah, we're desperately short on heavy firepower as it is, not to mention that our basic troopers burn through points at a tremendous pace... Setting aside the slot and the points for a gamble is a bit hard to swallow.

They're definitely not a weapon to rely heavily on, although there are things that can maximize its potential (target the only bridge over the river or a tight choke point, for example). Still, there's something to be said for luck - and with something as powerful as an Orbital Strike, when it's lucky, it's lucky in a big way!

For me, the crowning moment of awesome came against a Marine army that bunched way too closely together (new, inexperienced, young player, hid his entire force behind one forest so my Vindicare couldn't shoot them!) - the strike hit a Land Raider full on and clipped the back of a Rhino, penetrating and annihilating both, incinerating the squads inside. It also killed several Marines and Scouts caught in the tanks' death blasts, heavily mauling 3 more squads. IIRC, it was a 1500 point game and the strike killed 600 or 700 points at once, leaving the rest of his forces reeling and under the guns of 1500 points of Grey Knights. Needless to say, the rest of the game was over in a real hurry.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Well the strikes are a fun choice, and for me they seem to be hit or miss, either they will kill nothing the whole game or they will kill 4 or more times their own cost. One helpful tip about using it though is remember unlike normal ordance you dont have to start it over an enemy model so I find it best to start it in between enemy units as you know it will always scatter and it tends to go a fair distance.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm you are saying I have to place the hole of the blast marker between models??
    then I mst have misunderstood the codex cause I thought it said pick a piece of terrain where it should land.. but Im not sure on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by innaedokwan View Post
    hmm you are saying I have to place the hole of the blast marker between models??
    then I mst have misunderstood the codex cause I thought it said pick a piece of terrain where it should land.. but Im not sure on this one.
    The codex explains it pretty well. The strike is keyed to a terrain piece (of any size!). When it arrives from reserves, you can place it anywhere within that terrain piece. Unlike blast weapons (or 4th edition blast weapons, anyways. Not sure about all the changes to them in 5th edition), the strike doesn't need to be placed with the central hole over an enemy model. So Lyrazu is suggesting placing it between squads if possible, since the strike is guaranteed to scatter some distance. There's no requirement to do so, however. As long as the strike is within the terrain piece, you can put it anywhere you want.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

The codex has been known to confuse people, not from poorly written rules so much as from the rules being so radically different from any normal weapons.

In a nutshell, then:

1 ) Pick a terrain piece of any size before anything starts. Write it down. NOTE THAT YOU DON"T HAVE TO TELL YOUR OPPONENT! ***And yes, I said any size... that road that runs through the entire table is fair game - the whole road!***

2 ) When it arrives, the strike can be placed anywhere you like, so long as the center hole is within the chosen terrain piece. IT CAN MOVE IN LATER TURNS, so long as the new target is also inside the terrain. (you can hit one side of a building one turn, then shift to the other side to better follow advancing enemy troops, for example)

3 )The strike then scatters, as per the Codex. While this means it may never actually hit where you want it, it also means that literally anything within 12 inches in all directions could suddenly get blasted to pieces at any time - a great psychological weapon, if nothing else!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys that realy helped me out
    thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast