The effectiveness of snipers. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The effectiveness of snipers.

Are 5 man squads of marine snipers that effective. The models look amazing, and more so when painted, but i've only played them against horde armies ( mainly orks ), and had little efect. Can anyone tell me what they are tailored to doing best. Also for the new codex|:space marines with the new land spreeder vaiant, can the snipers fire whilst the speeder moves? All comments welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sergi View Post
    Also for the new codex|:space marines with the new land spreeder vaiant, can the snipers fire whilst the speeder moves? All comments welcome.
    You want us to answer a question about a specific detail from the new space marine codex, which only comes out in october, and of which only a few vague rumors have been released to the public? Why don't you just ask us the exact profile of a Thunderfire cannon? Or how many scouts can be transported in the Land speeder Storm?

Even better: will it count as open-topped, since the normal ones don't because the pilots are in power armour, but the Storm pilots are scouts?

Asking questions like these is stupid. No offense, but it really is stupid.

On the first question though: Snipers can be usefull in the correct army against the correct army, but are absolutely useless against others. Right now, they are nice to keep back at your objective in some hard cover while the marines advance, but then you would need to use more than just 5 snipers. In my opinion, they are not worth it... yeah, a scout only costs 13 pts, but a sniper makes him 18, and you are much MUCH better of with a simple marine. Of course, pinning is always usefull against Imperial Guard and Tau

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kildash View Post
    Asking questions like these is stupid. No offense, but it really is stupid.
    If no offense is meant, don't call people's questions stupid. Just say "we don't know, the codex hasn't come out yet, all we have to go by are rumours." It's a much easier and nicer thing to say.

Anyways, to answer your question (even though the codex hasn't come out yet), I would assume that Scout Snipers would not be able to fire while on the Land Speeder if it has moved, because Sniper Rifles count as Heavy weapons and thus may not be fired after moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used about 8 scout snipers ( With a hvy bolter) in my past 3 games, and I will tell you they work very well. Giving them rending makes them invaluable, as I have learned by sniping down a wraith lord. With the infiltrate rule I can pop them up in a building or behind useful cover and ensure that they have some good shots lined up. That way they can shoot every turn. Also in my games I learned that people don't have the time to shoot at them, because they are to busy shooting the marines that will be in their face using transports or the new run rule. I have decided to make scouts a part of my army alot more often as they have proven themselves in the fire of battle.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Sniper Rifles are very, very good. I would be concerned about their price (Looking at the DA codex) - a 5x man squad with rifles there is over 100.
    However, looking at the back of the 40 rulebook the scout stats are going to drop to:
    WS 3 and BS 3
    adding credance to the argument that they'll still be troop choices (A very good thing for you).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I've personally been having problems with my scouts. I field two x 10man squads with 8 snipers, serge (bp/ccw) and a heavy bolter. Yes, its a tad expensive i know, but bare with me.
    The biggest issue I'm having is with the 2+ to hit being cut in the 5th edition. If you read the rules as they are written in 4th and 5th, you can see what GW have done, simply removed one sentance! Wounding on a 4+ is obviously an advantage in some cases, but considering the sheer accuracy of a true-to-life sniper rifle, why has this been cut back? Does that fancy scope and high-accuracy weapon not do ANYTHING for the firers chances to hit? The chance to hit a target with a sniper rifle should be greater than that of a bolt pistol (3+)!

In the 6x 5th edition games i've played to date, my sniper scouts have dished out more wounds in close combat than they have at range, and with the WS3 rumor kicking around, i can see scout snipers are going to be an absolute waste of points hitting on a 4+ unless something in the new 'dex that says marine snipers have a higher chance to hit!

If I've missed something and got my head in a twist, please feel free to call me a retard, but point me to the right page of the right book first

CR
    Last edited by CleanRabbit; August 11th, 2008 at 13:53.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Rending Being AP1 is pretty good.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by stayscrunchyinmilk View Post
    Rending Being AP1 is pretty good.
    Not sure where you get this, as it mentions in the 5th edition rulebook (at the Rending shooting special rule) that Rending gives AP2, not AP1.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by kildash View Post
    ... Of course, pinning is always usefull against Imperial Guard and Tau
    I'm highly interested in this statement. I have yet to enact a squad to be *PINNED* in any of my games. Even against the Imperial Guard. I only play *friendly* matches with a couple of friends.

I'm not sure how this can occur. I'm not an Imperial Guard expert, however, with his doctrines, he seems to get global Ld10 all the time. Now 1/6th time he should fail, but with commisar's and such he executes platoon commander, and then auto-passes Ld tests.

My other opponents, Tyranids, and Orks. Neither of which even feel like there's a possiblity to Pin. Being in synapse, or in groups larger than 12. The snipers previously had no AP, so vs. the Tyranid MCs they were useless, now at least I can negate the ridiculous 2+ save my son's Tyrant gets, I'm looking forward to that.

I spent a bunch of time on my sniper squad (painting, got 5 more to add to the squad) and I play them in every match, they just never seem to be effective, or I'm just always choosing the wrong targets.
    Last edited by Xpyre35; August 11th, 2008 at 16:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Well in most realworld military tactics snipers are for taking out targets of high importance, like leaders. Use them to try and draw a bead on your enemies' HQ.

I've seen snipers used to devastating effect against Tau. (Kroot and firewarriors primarily) though my experiance with them is only watching a couple games with eldar using pathfinders.

kildash chill out.

Pickle has a "codex rumors" thread going that may answer some of your questions about the new landspeeder.
    However snipers are heavy weapons and I don't believe transported models can fire them on the move.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)