Deepstriking platoons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deepstriking platoons?

It says that platoons roll as one unit for the reserves roll, but does that mean that they all have to deep strike if you want one squad of it to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

where does it say platoons roll as one unit???!!!

no i dont think you have to have them all deep strike
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says it right under the Infantry Platoon heading.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Nope - you don't have to deploy the entire platoon in the deep strike. The rules say that "any Guard Infantry" may use the doctrine and the rules for "Guard Infantry" deal with individual squads within the platoon - not the platoon as a whole. So it's acceptable to just have one squad deep strike.

Of course it's a bloody silly idea as they will have all the staying power of wet bog roll. Surrounded, outnumbered, outgunned, outclassed wet bog roll...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thechaplain View Post
    Nope - you don't have to deploy the entire platoon in the deep strike. The rules say that "any Guard Infantry" may use the doctrine and the rules for "Guard Infantry" deal with individual squads within the platoon - not the platoon as a whole. So it's acceptable to just have one squad deep strike.

Of course it's a bloody silly idea as they will have all the staying power of wet bog roll. Surrounded, outnumbered, outgunned, outclassed wet bog roll...
    Well, I was mostly just going to deep strike against a Tau friend of mine. Best way to take care of his range advantage I say, and have a chance to screw with him in CC.

But I'm taking some squads with heavy weapons and some without, so I was thinking of just striking the ones without.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

I'd still aim to outnumber him by around two to one. Also - in that kind of attack, your heavy weapons would be wasted with the deep striking forces, unless you plan to bunch them up tight and dig in. That'd give you a reasonable chance against the Tau, as long as you outnumber them. Some heavy bolters in your squads would get them rolling dice and when they start rolling they start dying. Of course, it's a risky strategy as the Tau are very good at shooting.

I don't know what kind of set up you're using, but just for example - I always use 2 full platoons. If I was doing what you intend to, I'd drop a full platoon in behind them (officers and Commissars are lean, mean, Tau-killing machines) armed with flamers and grenade launchers - no heavy weapons. I also use the Close Order Drill and Hardened Fighters doctrines, so I'd have the edge in the combats. I'd use the other platoon to move up and start hammering anything that might kill your dropped platoon - things like Kroot are particularly annoying when you plan to mangle firewarriors in CC. So if you use heavy weapons in platoon squads (I don't) then I'd give them to the platoon that will be your fire base - that'll give them that extra punch that could win you a battle.

There's also the psychological advantage - nobody likes deep striking units hitting them in the rear - it really messes with your battle plan. It's bad enough when it's 5 Chaos Terminators, but they still don't quite have the same "Oh bugger..." factor as 57 Guardsmen!

+ Reply to Thread