Topic of the Week: Assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Topic of the Week: Assault

This weeks topic revolves around a touchy phase for the aspiring Imperial Guard commander - assaulting!

There are actually two seperate issues here, although they do overlap in a venn diagram kinda way - assaulting the enemy, and being assaulted by the enemy.

The second part has been given mixed blessings (from the point of view of IG) by 5th ed, what with the 'run' rule, and the 'no consolidating into other units' rule.

Essentially, close combat happens earlier, however it can be less damaging/more manageable.

The first part revolves around the IG's own ability to assault the enemy. Counterassault, or pure 'charge', tactical use of rough riders/ogryns/flamers here can truly surprise your opponent.

So what are your thoughts here? Do you run any assault based units in your army? If so, what are they, and how do you use them?

Do you not bother? If this is the case, how do you compensate?

And how do you personally deal with strong assault based opponents?

Lets get all our thoughts out on the table, guys!

"Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

New week already, nice. I have had great success so far not using anything assaulty in my IG games. In the past, if I set up with enough fire power taking up all of the avenues of approach, with the right leadership in place, I've managed to have some pretty nice shut outs with the guard. The units that I would normally bring were either built for stand off fire power or close support but all of it was meant to be used in the shooting phase. Unfortunately this means I have NO experience with the assaulty stuff so I am interested in what some of you guys do with that.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by YounGunner View Post
    New week already, nice. I have had great success so far not using anything assaulty in my IG games. In the past, if I set up with enough fire power taking up all of the avenues of approach, with the right leadership in place, I've managed to have some pretty nice shut outs with the guard. The units that I would normally bring were either built for stand off fire power or close support but all of it was meant to be used in the shooting phase. Unfortunately this means I have NO experience with the assaulty stuff so I am interested in what some of you guys do with that.
    Yeah - new week! Actually a couple of days late. I was tempted to let it go longer (seeing as the last two topics are still going strong), but then figured that I'd better just do it all properly (ie; on time).

I've had a fair amount of experience with assaulty based games with my IG, and I'll be posting stuff sometime soon myself - but first, i'm also interested in what some other people do!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to assauting, sometimes I feel like it cannot be avoided. With the new retinue rule, taking a powerfist for your HSO seems like a more viable option. Of course, alone, even he cannot stand against the might of most other forces but I found that with the concerted effort of many men surrounding it's foes, anything is possible.

This tactic I employed in a combat patrol scenario against the black templar and has everybody knows, especially with the run feature, they are the ones who can reach CC the fastest. I deployed my HSO out in the open and hid my junior officer with powerfist out of sight but nearby. When they eventually reached me, I countercharged with both command squads and one more unit of guardsmen. The entire unit of templars were wiped out in one round.

Of course, I am also surprised about how sometimes the guard do quite well in CC and usually, the assaulting enemy units have been weakened by massed fire making it a lot easier for the men.
    Imperial Guard: 3000 pts
    Chaos Daemons: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for assaulting characters and troops with invulnerable saves I use a Callidus. For counter assaults I use 2 rough rider squads, 1 eith 7 horses, 1 with 8. The 8 horse unit I leave off table in reserve, ready to charge on in turn 2/3 when the enemy has reached my lines. That way the horses cant be slaughtered by being in LOS on table. I find the RR work sometimes, and sometimes do less damage th an I want.

Generally, I find having a callidus and 2 RR squads is all i want or need in terms of assaulting. The rest of my army is deep striking or armor with lots of pieplates, flamers and Deep striknig melta (oh, and 10 ratlings).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

I run three, sometimes four assault-oriented units. The first team is my Armored Fist team. Their purpose is NOT to assault, but more often than not, I find them being forced into a counter-charge role. Oddly enough, that squad is extremely tenacious in assaults, despite no extra fluffy gear for them to make 'em so...they just...are. The Dice are with them.

The actual first REAL team meant for assault are the Ogryn. Though I've only gotten to use them once....They did a number, but I've not had nearly enough experience to otherwise rate them

The second team oriented towards assault is the platoon leader squad, Lt. Burnination's Burninators. They're not armed with CC gear...instead, they've got flamers, lots of flamers. No power weapons, even, on the officer. They just run up, flame something, and then beat it to death with their guns. Effective for popping around the corner and lighting up orks and whatnot. Don't work so well against higher initiative units, though...

Then there's the HQ Command Squad. While again, the crew is not set up with CC weapons and pistols (Though I think they should be), the commander runs around with a power sword and plasma pistol and likes to slice and dice. (Thinking about giving Honorifica Imperialis to the Standard Bearer...turn the standard into a guidon with a power-battle-axe on one side, or maybe sneak a powerfist on him. A guard squad with multiple power weapons? Frightening!). They either counter-assault or they do an initial charge; Many a time, I've just charged them into a group of enemy citing 'better charging than charged." And thanks to them doing that, I've given myself a chance on multiple occasions.

Honestly, though, now I don't have to follow the charged-or-be-charged and worry about losing my entire line to one squad due to consolidations. I can just mow people down after they massacare one of my squads. Tempts me to drop the Carapace Armor doctrine and get more guardsmen to sacrifice for a good shot.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I have one guy, a grunt with a Grenade Launcher that's like my own little Chuck Norris but that's it really.
    Then there's one of my officers (a platoon-JO) who also wield a powersword and one of my Armoured Fist squads that have a vet sarge... Oh and my StormTroopers with dual flamers and a Powersword... They rarely get to do what they should though, but the guy with the GL takes care of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Sunday I'm fighting a friend's Tau and I'm planning on deep striking a platoon in there with plasma, grenade launchers, and a power sword, carapace, and honorifica on the platoon leader. Should be fun. The command squad has nothing but pistols and grenade launchers so they'll be assaulting using close order drill. I'll let you know how it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeewulf View Post

(Thinking about giving Honorifica Imperialis to the Standard Bearer...turn the standard into a guidon with a power-battle-axe on one side, or maybe sneak a powerfist on him. A guard squad with multiple power weapons? Frightening!). They either counter-assault or they do an initial
    Sorry, but Honorifica doesn't get him access to officer-only items, it just gives him the statline.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Eh

Ah the assault, IG's Achilles Heel. There isn't really a good choice for the assault, as far as I can see. There are units that are alright at it, but for real assault power, I bring in the Grey Knights.

Hardened Fighters is definitely not worth it for the points, conscripts are only good at holding the enemy off (especially if they have chem inhalers, while in command range), command squads don't have enough models in them, Commissars are independent (thus easily singled out and killed), and Ogryns can't deal with monstrous creatures and powerfists. I've seen Sentinels work fairly well against units without powerfists, but their lack of attacks hurt them.

The best assault unit IG has, from what I can see, are the rough riders. Admittedly, I've just started with them, but I plan to keep them in reserve and assault out with hunting lances. They'll probably only be good for one assault, but if they can cripple a single powerful enemy unit, they'll have done enough.

The really good choices for the assault are all from Daemonhunter allies. Grey Knights work great, and they can claim objectives (making them a much more preferable choice to Ogryns, in my opinion). Terminators are really tough (although very expensive), and the Callidus Assassin works really well too.

Instead of assaulting, the best strategy with the basic IG troops seems to be using plenty of flamers. Move the guard units up, rapid fire with the bolters, and drop a template on them. It's really the best shot the guard have. I especially like using the flamers in units of conscripts, since their BS doesn't hurt them.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast