Topic of the Week: Sentinels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Topic of the Week: Sentinels

Ah yes. The humble sentinel.

Humble, that is, compared to the walkers available to other races in the brutal 40K universe.

But these walking explosions are not without their uses!

They have various weapon options, they move like infantry, they are cheap, and have the scout ability!

So, how do you run yours?

Do you distrust their light armour? Or do you squeeze all 12 into your army list?

Do you run some kind of forgeworld variant (as mentioned in another recent thread)?

And what kind of tactics/advice do you have for other willing IG commanders?

Anything and everything regarding sentinels, well, post it in here guys!!

Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; August 27th, 2008 at 04:15.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

In 4th edition I never had one turn out to be effective. However, the outflank rules in 5th edition make them somewhat promising.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh Sentinels, my favorite unit in the Imperial Guard. The fluff behind them is great. Rogues and Renegades given free reign over these machines as long as they are the vanguard/recon for the main army. I even plan to paint up little decals on them to show how each pilot is individualized (think like the shark grin that were on mustangs and the scantily clad girls on bombers in WW). And I would love to add in some of the forgeworld variants!

I run three (as seperate squads) in my list and had hit or miss situations with them in 4th. At times they would be a perfect distraction while at other times they would only be blown to pieces in the first turn. My experiences with 5th so far have been relatively great! Being able to outflank with them is beautiful since I can usually get side armor on any enemy vehicle the turn they come on, or if I'm really lucky rear. Also they've been a great help at times as a suicide assualt unit to hold back that rushing CC unit back just one more turn to riddle them with rapid fire.

I run them with autocannons, and if I can spare the points I sometimes toss on extra armor. I'd love to get my hands on a few more since they are so cheap, here's hoping the new Codex will make one of my favorite units better!

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

personally sentinels are too expensive..........

on a better note, i have used them before to some success.

lots of fun against eldar and dark eldar, tying up a squad until he brings some other unit with big weapons, but then again the wraithlord with the big weapons never made it into that combat.......................(thanks to a lucky guardsmen with a melta gun!)

honestly tho they cost too many points, and are not worth it(they are better in 5th since glancing cannot kill them!)

personally i would like to see them have better armor. Honestly, look at them, and you wonder why they dont have a higher armor value than a chimera!

make them 11/11/10 and then i would love them(immune to small arms and hand to hand combat(from most enemies)

every other walker can take hits, and some are very close to the point cost of a sentinel(an ork killa kan comes to mind) also i wish there was a universal rule allowing walkers to be allowed to take objectives, a dreadnought, eldar war walker, sentinel, killa kan, etc should be allowed to take objectives, in my opinion walkers are very slow, and infantry were slow(until they got the run rule) so i would classify infantry and walkers the same when talking about what can take objectives.

sentinels should have acess to other weapons(heavy bolter sentinel? or even better, Multi-Melta sentinel? (or how bout a plasma cannon? in fact i wish there was a sentinel with a blast weapon!) they are forgeworld, but i wish they were allowed in normal games(the only way guard gets plasma cannons, and multimeltas, are through servitors, or demolishers, and when you have a demolisher, you want to use the main gun as much as possible, and techpriests suck, other than giving acess to servitor(who also suck, basically stormtroopers with heavy weapons, its a waste a stormtrooper costs the same and has so much more!
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

i run my sentinels cheap always no las-canons ever!!!!
    multi-lasers and hardened fighters thats 55pts and i plan to run 4 units of 1 sentinel so they can run forward and kick the hel outa indipendent characters or units who are strenth 4 or worce so they can only glance me and have no chance of killing me i love charging assault marines and killing them one by one.

well thats my favourite way of useing sentinels looking for more but im quite happy with my current tactic!!!
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

hmm, interesting. Just when I thought the old topic of sentinel weapons loadouts would die, the famous Cadaver Junkie brings it back to life!!!

Righty-oh, into the topic!!

I run my 3 sentinels in seperate squadrons. This allows me to maximise my firepower, as I run a Multi-laser, Autocannon and Lascannon sentinel battalion. It really sucks when the Autocannon sentinel destroys a Pred by luck (rear armour), and then your Multi-laser and Lascannon shots are wasted.

I also run the sentinels with different weapons for different purposes. The Multi-laser is a spray and pray, and I usually use it in the support bracket, firing at enemy infantry. My Autocannon sentinel is there to take down light transports and light tanks along with other walkers, etc. The Lascannon toting sentinel however, is a new addition to the list, with the removal of the drop trops doctrine and resulting comms arrays on my Leman Russes. It is yet to engage in battle, but it will be used in the anti-armour role, outflanking and firing at targets rear armour, with my Russes firing at front armour. This should make my enemies have to choose between 55 points of lascannon shooting at their vulnerable rear armour, or my 2 Russes. (tough choice!!!!)

As for improvements, the list is long and varied.
    1. 11/11/10 armour. For free. Period.
    2. Cheaper closed cockpits. Actually, lets make 'em standard.
    3. Forgeworld sentinels in plastic and in the new codex!!!!
    4. Two weapons. Or a dreadnought close combat weapon. C'mon, wouldn't it be cool to open up with 2 Autocannons, or lascannons, or heavy bolters...........

*snaps out of dream mode, realising that GW will never give us that level of coolness, or usefulness for that matter. Then begins to sob as he realises that GW will instead release another f***ing goddamned ultrasmurf codex.....*

Anyways, I love my cheap, pain in teh butt walkers. The look of annoyance on my last opponents face as he watched over 150pts of Pred go BOOM from a 50pt autocannon sentinel....

Good Luck and Good Hunting, fellow sentinel pilots!!
    Father Mulcahy: Just as the Lord said to Noah, "Everything in pairs."
    Pierce Hawkeye: Of course the Lord was holding three aces at the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Flame On

I like my opponents crisp and toasty. So I employ a number of flamer equipped sentinels. It's lovely. They are hugely fragile and tend to get shot up but if they make it to within range.

Hmm, I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!

IG are meant to be fragile. Sentinels are more infantry than vehicle and I think it is crazy to want them to be tougher, that's the school boy desire in all of us. In some ways their fragility is our friend as opponents are less likely to divert serious resources to taking them out in the way that say a Leman Russ would attract attention.

So there you are, long live the flamegrilling sentinel with its absurdly cheap points cost!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

My tactics:

I follow the game doctrine that say that every unit have a specific funtion in the force and a squadron of Sentinels are the only way of having an anti-tank unit with long range and mobility in the IG. I deployed 9 with lascannons and the results are enough good for plan to deploy 12. But maybe I am biased because I love mechas and the model look good enough for me.

My advices:

Mixing weapons on the same squadron is not so good idea, because all have to fire to the same target. So, mixing anti-personel and anti-tank or diferent ranges can waste firepower.

Like with LRBTs, the Lanchester's square law, 3 sentinels on the same unit have 9 times the relative combat power of a single sentinel.

Dont send them alone, put some aditional targets dificult to kill on the board in a very threatening way. Ie. I deploy 3 LRBTs front and center of battlefield. Is like a neon signal saying shoot me. Or you can send Demolishers or Hellhounds in a frontal charge.

My wish:

Now that we can outflank them, I like that in the new codex GW allow us to arm them with Muti-melta weapons. Then maybe I finally can destroy the stupid Landraider of my friend.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the topic of sentinels being weak there still powerful if used correctly ie outflanking rear armours heavy flamers in city of death. And if you think would u prefer a sentinel or a weedy pathfinder squad.
    If Slaanesh is the god of the Perverse, why does Nurgle have all the filth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose I see the merit in teh distraction factor if you equip them with something cheap like flamers.

But you run nine lascannon armed sentinels? What else can you field that so that the opponent actually has a choice?

Sorry but it seems like a massive drain on points to be putting BS 3 lascannons on walkers that can die to pulse rifle fire, and do die pretty quick. So what hes wasting his time on those insetad of your russ. If your weaping them up with lascannon then you probably only have one other russ anyway and your opponent will be glad to get rid of them. Decoys? Not really, more like points drain.

Now if you know for a fact that the opponent has very little in the way of anti light walker (ie scatter lasers ahd heavy bolters) weaponry, then go right ahead, because its going to take a while fo rhim to get rid of him, forcing him to make a choice. But if they do have half decent weapons, then its not going to take more than one turn to wipe them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast