An Inquisitor in an IG army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Inquisitor in an IG army?

Hello all. I started getting back into the hobby earlier in the year, but I kinda put things on hold when I heard that a new version of the rules would be released this year (i.e. 5th edition) …as I decided to wait it out rather than buying a soon to be outdated 4th edition rulebook.

Unfortunately while I waited my enthusiasm kinda waned a little - but now I'm getting it back again, and with it comes more (noob) questions.

So…

I've looked at a few websites and forums, and it looks like it is possible to include an Inquisitor ally in an IG force (from either the Witch Hunters codex or the Daemon Hunters codex). So (assuming this is true) I was wondering if anyone knows if there any real difference in the inquisitorial sections of those lists (mechanics wise) or if they are pretty much the same (with just 'fluff' differences).

I don't really have any interest in the Sisters of Battle, or the Grey Knight elements of those books – so I'm just wondering if it matters which one I buy if all I really want to do is be able to field an Inquisitor with the IG.

At the moment I'm probably leaning towards the Witch Hunters codex (as I'm more interested in the Ordo Hereticus than the Ordo Malleus) but I'm looking to pick up one of the books second-hand on ebay as cheaply as possible (as I'll only be using one or two pages of the book after all) – so it would be good to know if either of these books would do the job, or if I need to keep my eye out for one in particular.

Anyway, sorry for the long drawn out post, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kris 101; August 30th, 2008 at 22:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Hunter and Daemonhunter inquisitors get slightly different retinues and the respective armories are different.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Well, there are some noteable differences between the two.

An Ordo Malleus Inquisitor has access to alot of the wargear you might expect in a Space Marine armory - artificer armour, bolt weapons and upgrades, awesome CC special weapons, a 4+ inv. save, etc. Witch hunters are (in my opinion) a bit more unique - their weapons and armour are somewhat different - they tend to be "fire based" so generally, you'll be able to combat large numbers of units with them - melta for big beasties and tanks and flamers for hordes, though given the choice I'd rather take stuff from the Daemonhunters lst.

Personally, I find the Ordo Malleus alot more interesting. I use a Malleus Inquisitor Lord in my Guard list (with a bolt pistol, daemonhammer, artificer armour, icon of the just, sacred insence and scourging) and hes great for taking things out that the Guard just couldn't stand against.

I'd say one of the main differences between the two is the retinue. I find the Witch hunters retinues work as a squad - dishing out the pain together, whereas the Malleus retinue is just extra wounds for your Inquisitor. So if you want a cohesive team, the Hereticus is for you.

Hope this helps!

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Kris 101 View Post
    I don't really have any interest in the Sisters of Battle, or the Grey Knight elements of those books – so I'm just wondering if it matters which one I buy if all I really want to do is be able to field an Inquisitor with the IG.
    IMO, if you just want an Inquisitor than go Hereticus. Malleus henchmen, powers, and wargear are very much geared toward defeating Daemons and Daemons alone, whereas Hereticus henchmen, powers, and wargear are useful against everything. In addition, Hereticus units are more shooting based whereas Malleus units are more CC based and Inquisitors don't exactly shine in CC, their S3 and T3 isn't very impressive. CC Malleus Inquisitors cost tons of points to field and their absurd points cost does not reflect their ability.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; August 31st, 2008 at 03:37.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

im planning on adding a malus inquizitor who will look like this

inquizitor
    bolt pistol/CCW
    power armour
    scourging
    3 gun servitors heavy bolters
    3 acolites storm bolters/phycanon rounds

196pts

he and his unit at 36 inches wil put out -9 Bs4 Str5 Ap4 - at 24inch a exsta -6 Bs3 Str4 Ap4 ingnoring inv svs- and at 18 -D6 Bs4 Str5 Ap5 ignoring inv svs-

wow at 18 inches they put out up to 20 higher Str better Ap better Bs (on the whole) shots compared to a IG squad for only around 70-80pts more and many of those ignor inv saves!!!

so dont say ordo malus inquizitors and henchmen arenot any good!!! and remember you could just take

inqizitor
    bolt pistol/CCW
    power armour
    scourging

52pts

and attach him to a armoured fist squad to give them a bit more punch...
    or attach himto a command squad for fluff resons???
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all - thanks everyone for the replies.

From your recommendations it looks as though I’d like to get hold of both books ideally - so that I’ve have lots of options (and modelling possibilities) to play around with. However, I think I’m still favouring the witch hunters codex first… though it all depends on what comes along on ebay.

On a similar note, does anyone know if GW have leaked any news about publishing new (5th edition) versions of these books any time soon (i.e. would I be better off waiting?) or if they have plans for an Ordo Xenos book in the future?

Thanks again.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kris 101 View Post
    First of all - thanks everyone for the replies.

From your recommendations it looks as though I’d like to get hold of both books ideally - so that I’ve have lots of options (and modelling possibilities) to play around with. However, I think I’m still favouring the witch hunters codex first… though it all depends on what comes along on ebay.

On a similar note, does anyone know if GW have leaked any news about publishing new (5th edition) versions of these books any time soon (i.e. would I be better off waiting?) or if they have plans for an Ordo Xenos book in the future?

Thanks again.
    As far as I know, there's nothing planned for next year. Last I heard, it'll be late 2010 before we see a revied version. When it does come out, it'll probably be codex: Inquisition, with Xenos included in that.

In short, there's not alot of point waiting.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I've been told (read it on here, too) that DH Inquisitors tend to be the best shooting oriented, whereas if you're looking for a CC Inquisitor/Retinue you should go with WH.

Psycannon Inquisitor and three Gun Servitors, plus a few additional henchmen, and that's a very nasty squad. (DH)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

I'm sorry to say that I have both books, and now a respectable 4 inquisitors, but it really does depend on what you're looking for. I run mine on the same principle you're thinking of, as an addition to an IG army.

The variety I've found most useful tactially is an INQ lord with:

Psycannon,
    2 HB servitors
    Plasma cannon Servitor,
    1 Mystic,
    2 sages,
    3 bolter acolytes

The acolytes are just extra wounds for the squad, the mystic is the important bit. I don't know about you but I hate deepstrikers, and this bad boy let's my retinue take free shots at anyone that deepstrikes with so many inches. You would not believe the amount of careless terminators and tau battlesuits this guy has put down....

I've found combat INQ's to be largely innefective for their point's value, and so have taken to only using them in larger games (2k or apocalypse). I'm not saying that these guys aren't fun, or effective, they just cost an arm and a leg to become useful, while still remaining relatively fragile to shooting.

I quite often whack in an elites INQ in an armoured fist squad, cheap cheerful and a little bit of combat prowess for the squad (only a little mind....)

Hope this ramble helped in the slightest.
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

The DH inquisitor is usually regarded as the best for shooting as he has access to the psycannon and the mystic henchman - you get free shots at deepstriking units.

The WH I like better because he is a bit more human, like the guard. No terminator armour and thunder hammers. Some of his psychic powers can be pretty devastating too, affecting the morale of your enemy, and I think this sort of use is very underrated.

Either way though, as has been said before, you probably pay too much points wise for what you get, but in terms of flavour and modelling opportunities inquisitors are great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast