Topic of the Week: Advisors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Topic of the Week: Advisors

So. Do you run advisors of some kind in your army, or not?

If so, do commissars float your boat? Or maybe you are like me, addicted to eviscerator weilding maniacal priests?

Or maybe you like the cheaper Psyker? Or the not so cheap force weapon weilding HIM psyker? And do you spam any of these dudes throughout your army?

Or...do you simply hate the idea of any of the above (yeah, I know, hate is a strong word. But still!)?

Either way, why? Justify your position people, JUSTIFY!!!! Fluff, effectiveness, the usual. You know the drill - anything you might feel like saying is allowed, and should be mentioned. This is a think tank, guys!

"Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once my commissar arrives, I'm going to try using him in my my HQ. The extra 2-3 power fist attacks help with counter-charging, and giving LD 10 with a standard makes everything in 12 inches basically unbreakable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I originally used to run a power fist wielding commisar in my army when I first started guard but over time dropped him as my theme started to develop.

I have just re writen my army list to allow for a slight alteration/sharpening up of the theme for my army and am looking at running a full five psykers.

The theme for my army is Imperial Navy and looking in imperial army it showed the crew of the Marauder bombers was 5 men plus the navigator.... A psyker for space ships so each of my junior officer command squads represent a bomber crew with the psyker being the navigator.

Marc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

In all honesty, I don't really use advisors; I, like many other people, love the fluff of commissars, and the look of all the advisors, but I just don't find them a viable option in my army. I like my command squads nice and cheap, 'nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to run with a Commissar in my HQ, but with the 2008 errata finally clearly stating (it used to be a store rule at my bunker location that since the commissar added to the officers stat line it could transfer down the vox) that Mr. Gun to the back of your head doesn't give us LD 10 down a vox link he's now being the model used for my HSO. Its written in my armies fluff how he came to take command of the regiment.

As for the other Advisors, Priests I can see uses for but in all honestly are not for me, I'm a sit in a trench and fire type Guard, not hoof across the field and charge a bunch of Chaos... Psykers, though cheap and "could" be useful, I just absolutely hate the models for. If I don't like the model, I sure as hell ain't fielding it, let alone painting it. Commissars I love the fluff, the models, and if they weren't so damn pricey would probably have them in all my command squads (once again suiting my armies fluff) but, I'm not going to spend two squads worth of points for the "cool" factor. Drop the points GW and well... I'll consider it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I use a single commissar in my command squad with a plasma pistol and PW to give it that extra punch in Close Combat.

I wasn't planning on having a commissar initally, but I recieved him as a gift, beautifully painted from a very close friend. I have since grown to love my commie, and when I add a second platoon, it's command squad will have a 2nd commissar attached to it.

Not a big fan of the Elessarchy (sp.), or of pyskers. If you want pyskers, go eldar!!

Also, I have a Question.
    If I were to take the Independant Commissar doctrine, could I form my Commissars into a unit?? If so, and they failed a morale test, who would shoot who??????

Think!!!
    Father Mulcahy: Just as the Lord said to Noah, "Everything in pairs."
    Pierce Hawkeye: Of course the Lord was holding three aces at the time.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

haha the commissar conumdrum. if that were ever to happen to me the commissars will duke it out in close combat.

I use a eviscerator priest in my main command squad although it's gaunts command squad from chapter approved 2003, so everybody in it can move and fire anyway and with gaunt's front liner rule i have to charge anyway so the rerolling failed to hit combined with the +1 attack on top of the +1 to charge makes for a deadly unit.

that being said I do use independent commissars when i have the elite spot to spare and they're normally with my platoon commands or bouncing around my line squads for a couple extra power weapon attacks.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Jakeman View Post
    Also, I have a Question.
    If I were to take the Independant Commissar doctrine, could I form my Commissars into a unit?? If so, and they failed a morale test, who would shoot who??????

Think!!!
    Hah - yeah, I love this conundrum. Its like the first thing I thought of when I read the new rulebook!

Maybe they all execute each other? Maybe they pick on the runt? Maybe they all commit suicide? How does it work? HOW?

It's quite a weird little thing, eh?
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

I use both Commissars and Psykers in all three of my command squads.

In both cases that's mainly for fluff reasons (like the rest of my army), but the Commissars are very useful. By providing an Ld. bonus and forcing command squads to pass morale checks, they increase the control I have over what goes on with my army - which is very important when you don't have power armour to soak up your mistakes (I just have another 100 men! ). That's also the reason that I don't use priests - not only do they detract from the control I can exhert, they also just don't perform for me.

I have, on the other hand, been extremely lucky with Psykers. Some of their powers are brilliant - Telepathic Order springs to mind - and I once had one force weapon (no HI) a Chaos Lord to death - they've had a place in my army gauranteed ever since!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Well, they shoot the offending officer and as there is no offier they all fire wildly in the air.

Or just remove the one you like the least.

I used to use 3-4 Commissars when I had a Catachan army, all Sgts had bolters in those days..
    Man, I lost a lot of games.. I missed my bolters too much and sold them to a friend.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast