Leman Russ Variants. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leman Russ Variants.

I know the witch hunters are allowed to bring along allied imperial guard and by doing so we are able to get a Leman Russ. However does that include Leman Russ variants? Such as the demolisher? I already have the model from my Death Korps so was hoping to be able to use my demolisher plasma/las for some serious firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

If you include allied IG in your Witch hunters army, then you can't take a Russ, as the rules do not allow heavies as allies.

The other way around, IG w/ inducted hunters would allow tanks and lots of IG stuff, but a small portion of WH stuff.

AFAIK the rule is 0-1 HQ, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Elite and 0-1 Fast attack where the compulsory choices need to be from the parent list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite true. As a witch hunter army my HQ has the right to "induct" the following units of imperial guard

"Imperial Guard infantry Platoon, Inperial Guard Armoured Fist Squad "note, you do not need to take an infantry platoon for each armored first squad taken"

Sentinels, Rough riders, and 0-1 Leman Russ"

I am guessing it is just one more rule that the Inquisition gets to break. With seraphim getting a special version of hit and run, and assassins and this. There are so many "acceptions" to the rules in just this codex it hurts the eyes.

But As long as you take 2 Troop choices for imperial guard you are allowed 1 leman russ. It is even a certified strategy under the "tactica" for witch hunters on Games Workshops website.

But the rules arent quite clear. It says I can take 0-1 Leman Russ. So does that mean I could field a Leman Russ Demolisher?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

unfortunately you can't take a Demolisher or Exterminator. The 0-1 Leman Russ is the standard Leman Russ, as far as I remember.

it's still a great choice for WH to take.

1 Russ
    2 Chimera w/Armored fists
    2 Exorcists
    2-3 Rhinos w/ SoB's
    Jump pack cannoness, maybe some Seraphim

you've got yourself a nice WH Armored Company. with a decent amount of troops to boot.

this is similar to what I'm considering for a 'hard boys list.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by farmpunk View Post
    unfortunately you can't take a Demolisher or Exterminator. The 0-1 Leman Russ is the standard Leman Russ, as far as I remember.
    I have to back this. The codex simply states Leman Russ, not "Leman Russ and all variants." A Leman Russ is just that - a Leman Russ. The LR and the LR Demolisher are two entirely separate tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's still a great choice for WH to take.

1 Russ
    2 Exorcists
    2-3 Rhinos w/ SoB's

you've got yourself a nice WH Armored Company. with a decent amount of troops to boot.

Yeah that is pretty much what i have. With all my guardsmen set for long range anti tank and then my sisters handle infantry. It is lacking in the assault a bit. Depending on the points for the game ill have to add some assassins.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Looks like im off to buy a Leman Russ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

I tend to try to keep my AF's cheap. in 4th ed. they would have AutoCannons. I liked the fact that statistically, they should each average 1 hit at decent STR, rather than put a Lascannon on them and between them get a hit at better Str.

In 5th Ed, I'll probably go with the Missile Launcher. for the versatility of hitting Tanks, or Infatry, and for cost effectiveness. (I really prefer lascannons to have BS4 for the pointcost)

I haven't toyed with above 2000pts yet for what the lists will look like.

I like adding in an Inq. Lord shooty retinue, and a callidus asassin. The 'Word in your ear' can be priceless on 1st turn.
    Last edited by farmpunk; September 3rd, 2008 at 22:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah my Inq Lord and callidus are great. I try to keep my inq lord cheap so i kept the retinue small. 3 heavy bolter servitors 1 hospitaler 1 acolyte. a little bit of gear to round it out.

And I was thinking of going missle launchers since being able to switch between krak and frag as the situation calls for it is really nice. But with WYSIWYG my Heavy weapons teams are all Lascannons.

other than tourny play the people i play against are all space marines though (with one nid and one eldar player) which Maybe im just unlucky with the dice but frags tend to bounce off of em.

I am actually going to try in a "friendly" list this weekend repentias with a priest and a group of arco-flags to cover up my melee gap. Also replacing my inquisitor for another Cannoness this one on foot with a celestian retinue and immolater transport. While my other one plays around with my seraphim.

It will be my first time using the leman russ as well. Filling up the other heavies with excorsist and a squad of penatent engines (btw. if you are ever looking for a challenge to model those things are definately the hardest models i have ever worked with)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

1 Russ
    2 Exorcists
    2-3 Rhinos w/ SoB's

Wait a minute, I thought you were required to take 2 *Platoons* in order to get the russ/sentinels/rough riders. So, taking 2 AF squads doesn't give you the russ.

Did I read that part wrong?
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, its 2 "troop" choices in the list in the codex. Allowing armored fists or infantry platoons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast