Lascannons or Missle Launchers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Lascannons or Missle Launchers?

I can't decide between Lascannons and missile Launchers, i need help, as lascannons are a little stronger and have a lower AP, but i already have 2 on my tanks, so should i take 3 more?

We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your talking as a heavy support section? or as heavy weapons in your inf squads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

lascannons. always. all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanith Ghosts View Post
    I can't decide between Lascannons and missile Launchers, i need help, as lascannons are a little stronger and have a lower AP, but i already have 2 on my tanks, so should i take 3 more?
    I think this depends on what points level you're talking, and what your beliefs about certain weapons are. In my opinion, the roles of the weapons go like this:

Heavy Bolter: general anti-infantry. now that 4+ cover saves are so rampant in 5th, I think the AP value is less important than volume of fire when targeting infantry. Since they're targeting the same units as lasguns and whatnot, these work good in line squads.
    Autocannon: best for light vehicles, AV12 and below. It can also double as anti-infantry, and be *almost* as efficient as HB's. Since it can kinda go either way, vehicles or infantry, it's good in both line and support squads.
    Lascannon: best for heavy vehicles, AV13-14. Also somewhat useful for vaporizing heavy infantry, but I mainly just take a few as insurance against AV14 - like I said before, 4+ cover everywhere makes AP less important IMO. Since these are really a specialized sort of weapon, I like to stick these in squads where there aren't a lot of lasguns or other weapons, so you don't waste them the turn you target tanks. HQ squads, sentinels, and support squads is where I like to put them.

Missile Launcher: I kind of think that the ML is a jack-of-all-trades weapon. It can target all vehicles, but it's not as good as either the AC or the LC, when facing their preferred types. It can also target infantry, and works well to crack power armor (but 4+ cover saves everywhere makes this less important). Frag makes it useful against hordes too, even moreso now that partials are gone. Because it's so versatile, I've been loading up on these in my line squads recently, and neglecting the trusty old heavy bolters a bit. But they're not really specialized for any job at all, so you gotta field other weapons, too.

Well, this is way more information than you asked for. But I just started typing, and couldn't stop. I guess to answer your question, lascannons are important, and you should definitely take a few. If you think you'll be facing a lot of heavy tanks, take extra. Missile Launchers are Okay, but it's better to have a good mix of different weapons, so you can face all comers.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I recommend more lascannons as the Russ' lascans are typically used as a backup. Given that 40k is tending towards massive game sizes, the popularity of extreme-variant lists and the durability of vehicles against ranged firepower, there is no such thing as overkill. The missile launcher is not bad but the AP of the Krak missile is wasted on all the cover saves going around.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missile launchers are good for most scenarios, to be honest. Monstrous creatures will almost always have a save, and S8 is enough to have a decent chance at wounding them - even Wraithlords and the like. Its frustrating sometimes when trying to design an "all-comers" list, because the only thing Guard needs lascannons for are having a decent chance of stopping AV14. Land Raiders are WAY better in 5th, and give our Leman Russes a run for their money. They can effortlessly destroy or suppress multiple Russes, in the first few turns of the game, and this obviously is something you can't let continue, haha, so Lascannons are useful.

Personally, I play against Dark Angels more than anything else (my good friend's army) so I take 6 Lascannon, in 2 anti-tank squads, with Sharpshooters. I am waiting to have 3 Sentinels delivered to me, and I'll magnetize weapons so I'll keep the 6 lascannons, but mount three of them on Sentinels. I intend to replace the second anti-tank squad with missiles, and remove a fire support squad of autocannons I generally take that I use to hunt rhinos/razorbacks/trukks/waveserpents etc. Plus, they let me do pretty nasty crowd control with the frag missiles.
    "Not Another Step Back! Death to the Enemies of Man!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missile launchers for me, I like redundancy in my army and lascannons are a one trick pony. I have lascannons on my russís but neither move and itís a bad day if Iím reduced to using them.

I run three launchers in my AT support and one in my HQ squad, four launchers means you can get a lucky hit even on AV13 or above, and even if I donít I have vetís with meltas to take care of it. I run three autocannons in fire support for AV12 and less, and like the ML, they can double for anti-infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'm all for Missile Launchers considering a guardsman's BS. I'd rather spend the points elsewhere knowing I won't be as devistated if my "miss"ile launcher manages to miss. Another reason why the Autocannon is good. Still a good troop killing weapon and can take medium armor tanks. While haveing 2 shots so better chance for your gun crazy guardsmen to actually hit something.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hmm... the thruth is that depends of who you face and at how many points you play. Did you play light infantry with no vehicles? With the name Tanith Ghosts... if is so, go Missile Launchers, it work until you face land raiders and terminators. Then be sure of have all the Meltas & Plasma guns that you can buy, you are going to need that then.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Missle Launchers work fine for AT duty and their versatility to seamlessly switch to AI mode is wonderful.

And since there are no such thing as partials anymore and the Scatter - BS rule is kicking, I have been LOVING my ML's.

Versatility + a wonderful point price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast