i play vanilla marines..... im a noob? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play vanilla marines..... im a noob?

It just seems wrong the ultramarines should be considered bland. I mean just because a new player play ultramarines and loses every time does not mean ultramarines are rubbish and smurf like.Would your rather play fluffwise ultramarines or sum ubered up super chapter that has grey knight worshiping them because of the supposed greatness.

If Slaanesh is the god of the Perverse, why does Nurgle have all the filth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well generic space marines have and will always be the premier starter force in warhammer 40k. They are a well rounded army that has a 50/50 shot at beating the opponent even if the player really doesnt know what he/she is doing, thus, space marines have gained a bad wrap.... i guess.

also, ultramarines are the poster child for the space marine codex and are probably the epitomy of generic marines which is why people may consider them to be boring or even "rubbish" because of the plethra of players out there that get their arse handed to them when trying to start 40k but think they are good because they beat their friend that started with eldar.

But overall, space marines are not a bad army, in no way actually, they just take a little less experience and cunning to utilize which helps their appeal to new players who would probably get blown out of the water if they started off with a highly specialized force, ya know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by major moss View Post
    i play vanilla marines..... im a noob?
    yes

seriously though....

yeah
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

I think people dont like them because they are perceived as being ''boring''. They tend to be overshadowed by Dark Angels and Blood Angels and all the chapters that have fancy rules. Even in the last codex Ultramarines were dismissed simply because they couldnt have traits. And a lot of people didnt like that the whole codex was pretty much Ultramarines in the hobby section.

I like Ultramarines(hell they were my first army) but found them pretty restrictive after a while and never really enjoyed playing with them. So I threw my lot in with Chaos.

Ultramarines are a great choice for players starting out though-not just because Marines are rock hard and forgiving on the tabletop but because there is a lot (A LOT) of referance as regards painting and squad markings etc. (my reason for picking them)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Ultramarines are just fine as an army. They just get a bad reputation because a lot of new players end up painting 2nd Co. and don't play very well before moving on to something else. The perceived blandness doesn't make sense when you consider how many special characters and units they have in a given codex. Especially soon since any special character can be utilized as a "counts as" for any chapter you wish to play, it is quite possible to play Ultras like any other chapter out of the codex and any other chapter like Ultras. So with the upcoming codex it just comes down to what paint scheme and what fluff you like. Everything else can be made to fit. After all, a codex chapter has 10 companies and only 4 of those are battle companies. It's quite fluffy to play a "counts as" Shrike as captain of the 8th company with lots of assault marines (or CC kitted tacs with fleet).

So if you like Ultramarines and think they're cool then don't let anyone tell you different.
    They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my SPESS MAHREENS!

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

No, your army choice doesn't make you a noob in any way.

In 40K, using noob as an insult is just idiotic, insulting someone because they're relatively new to the hobby is just rude and imbecilic.

Starting out with a SM army is a prefectly suitable way to get into 40K, you don't need many for a viable army, they're tough, they're the qunitessential good (or bad, depending on which you prefer) guys of 40K. And if you choose Ultras, who can blame you? they're everywhere, and they have a simple, striking colour scheme.

People get at new players who choose Ultras, because they're perceived as boring, bland, and 'what everyone collects'. Firstly, how are new players supposed to know any of this? And secondly, as was proved by the recent SM Chapter poll in the SM forum, more people play DA or BA than Ultramarines.

And Ultramarines needn't be bland and boring, they can have as much character as any army, if the effort is put in, but how is that different to any army you could collect in 40K? You can either just get the playing pieces and play, or craft your own, individual, possibly Ultramarine, army, or whatever other way you take the hobby.

PS: Ultramarines are called SMurfs because SM stands for Space Marine, and they're blue, so... SMurfs It's not really an insult, just a slang term.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing any army in this game doesnt make anyone a 'noob'. 40k is a hobby as much as it is a game, and as long as you have fun collecting, building, and painting your army, then you are entitled to enjoy the gaming aspect too. Some armies might be considered boring, but that doesnt give anyone the right to judge players who enjoy playing with that army. I will always think that Necrons would be a boring army for me to collect/paint/command (not alot of room for customization in my taste, but ive got nothing against Cron players)... but they are a ton of fun to play against!

I play SMurfs and i love them, the ability to customize the army for any role makes it easy for me to adjust my list for any opponent... and the color scheme perfectly suits my painting ability, but there is always room for improvement ^_^
    Last edited by Neeko; September 10th, 2008 at 21:01.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I started with Ultramarines and after three years I still favor them over the rest. I also have chaos SM, IG, and Blood Angels. I got 3000 points of UM painted up and in tournaments in about 3 months. When I showed up for games people came over and said "Wow. I've never seen Ultramarines that look so good." (I am not a great painter. At that time I did not shade or use inks or washes. I just painted them all cleanly and consistently.)
    I win a lot of games with my Ultras too. Ultras are a very good army, and with 5th ed they are going to get better.
    I completely agree that it is rubbish to abuse the new players. Give them encouragement and help them get in the hobby and have tons of fun. You will gain more opponents, gain some friends, and some day they may teach you a new modeling or painting technique, or a new tactic when they become a veteran too!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

+ Reply to Thread