leman russ issue - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x2)

leman russ issue

i played a guard player tonight and i got destroyed by his leman russ...what units would be best against a russ ( i would assume lascannons), and are there any specific tactics i should use against them?

chaos marines have the chaos gods on their side, but space marines have games workshop on theirs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I kill more than five Marines with one battlecannon shot, it really re-affirms my love of Warhammer 40k, haha.

All kidding aside, take advantage of cover! A 4+ save is not perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than the no save that the wonderful S8Ap3 of the battlecannon affords you. Never advance Tactical or Assault Marines in the open towards Russes. If you absolutely must, use a Rhino and shield your Marines so they at least get the 4+.

As for killing them, Lascannons are really the only safe bet. Leman Russes can generally be positioned in such a way as to provide few side armour shots - but if you get them, AV12 isn't so great.

I play against Dark Angels very frequently - an army with a fair amount of Tactical Marines and a relatively large amount of Lascannons. He is generally able to keep my tanks suppressed and unable to fire... but in the games where he doesn't achieve that, battlecannons are MEQ killers.
    "Not Another Step Back! Death to the Enemies of Man!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Lascannons work well, and if they're vehicle mounted they'll even get to move for side shots if you're lucky.

Meltaguns and Multimeltas are also good, and they become great once they're within critical range for the melta effect (potential armour penetration of 20+? Oh, yeah!)... But you've got to get up close and personal to do the job, which can be risky.

Krak Missiles, while not great (6's to glance...), can be quite dangerous in numbers - a Dev Squad with quad launchers can dish out plenty of hurt on anything the Guard can field, including a Russ. Remember: all you need is one Shaken result and even a Russ is harmless for the turn.

Assault Cannons can't hurt the front armour anymore (well, they can, but just barely, with a lot of luck...), but put them on a Landspeeder and they can go for side and rear armour with relative ease.

If you want to fight fire with fire, a Vindicator can cause horrible damage to anything in the game with that Demolisher Cannon, and it's a pretty tough nut to crack as well.

And finally, the most reliable (albeit most risky) way to kill a Russ: Assault it with a Powerfist or equivalent. Because while anything has a hard time punching through the frontal AV14, a Powerfist gets to play with that soft and squishy rear AV10! The risky bit is actually getting the squad there in one piece, because any good Guard player knows very well the new risks to armour in assaults and they'll devote a lot of attention to killing any assault units before they can close in!
    Last edited by Wraith; September 16th, 2008 at 19:12.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x2)

wow, all great advice, ill have to try it out next time, i play him quite frequently, and his guardsman have really been pissing me off lately...o and reps all around
    chaos marines have the chaos gods on their side, but space marines have games workshop on theirs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is one marine unit that is superb agains a leman russ - attack bike squad with 3 multi-meltas (and now with the new codex the cost for such a unit will be 150 pts - a real steal )

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

i'll try to think something up but first can you tell me what the weopens are for the russ(ie. sponsors lass or Heavy bolter etc.).

but for now I just thing you should get as many heavy weopens on it from as many sides as possible.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Pursuant to this active thread:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ng-sticks.html (Red Measuring sticks)

Spread out! 2" is really quite a long ways. If you're just eyeballing it for coherency when you place your models, they're likely to be way too close together. With the new no-partials rule, it's even more important. Use your full 2" coherency when moving in on an army with Ordnance weapons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

assault marines in what i like to call line of skirmish work very well. powerfist on sarge, 2 plasma pistols, and entire squad with meltabombs give a very hard time to any armour one can possibly imagine...even a MONOLITH has to get glanced by that many s8 attacks once at least.

+ Reply to Thread