Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Whilst deciding how im going to make my army ive ran into a few hiccups when it comes to finding models with the right gear and equippment and i wondered if anyone else has hit the same problems.
Ive read many conversion threads and found plenty of idea of making unique looking guards but what im having trouble with is finding men to fit my exact needs and themse
This link is a post i made about the kind of army im going for. Once ive fully chosen/tweaked this list i plan to make up my fluff so i can sort my paint schemes etc and model choices. Being cadian based this i have found no problem making different poses etc for my main troops my problem comes when i hit my more specilised units / men.
What i was hoping you could help me with are the following.
1. My Officers, and commissars. - Due to me having very "set" roles for my commands i have equipped them for sed roles. But have noticed that commisar and Officer models with my weaponry requirments dont exist and i would have to convert them slightly. Is the best way to do this ordering the metal models and trimming / filing them down and then attaching weapons i requre or is there other methods im not familiar with.
2. My Hardened veteran squads. I plan on using Tanith soldiers as my vets, colonel corbec as a normal vet as he seems to be only wielding a lasgun then cadian snipers by trimming the scopes off their rifles and abit of reshape work on them. Whilst they make up the majority of the squad nicely im stuck as i need 6 models with plasma's and 2 Vet sgts with boltguns. The tanith models only come with 1 Plasma model but this means using him 3 times in each which i dont want to do. Can anyone suggest a method of converting them to look different or other models i can use to fit in with the tanith models nicely.
3. Same goes for my command squad equipped with 4x Melta's. Cadian only has 1 melta model. whats the best way to acheive some diversity.
4. My stormtrooper Sgts. Whilst im quite happy to use the Kasrkin Sgt model for one squad i would like to find another way equip another the same but have him looking different. I was considering using the same model and chopping off hands and heads and by using green stuff reassmbling him with parts from another Kasrkin model to make him look different. Having not done much heavy conversion work before due to playing nids. i wondered how easy it was the acheive a good looking result in this manner.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
that sounds cool, but they don't sell Tanith ghosts Models any more, sadly as i wanted to make an army of tanith as i love the books and stuff.
We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....
i'd say for converting models, i always find it easier to mix and match plastic bits from different sets (the tank commander from a tank kit helps with officers) than filing metal models down.
but then again, i was never very good with fine detailing from scratch with green stuff.
but with my take on guard, i find that generalization of the modeling and painting details tends to work well. i actually try to make my officers blend into the rank and file, because that's what they'd do in modern combat to avoid getting targetted and picked off by the enemy. i try to make all my troops blend together in camouflage and lack of shiny bits showing.
can you not direct order them??
And on the conversions
The commissars, just trim and replace I'd say
The officers have a lot of scope for convetring for me.
I mean I have one whos a guadsman, tank commander and colonel schaeffer all rolled into one.
Just mess about with them a bit, think up something and go straight for it. Thats the easiest way for guard to doit.
On the meltagunners. well, I have 14 in my old 1500pt list.
I'd say use Kasrkin ones in the command squads. and if their in command squads it looks cool as then they are just that regimented. In regular squads, use the usual one once or twice, then green stuff the extra armor onto regular guardsmen and get marine meltaguns. If you want them all looking moderately the same tehn order teh Kasrkin melta backpacks for them and good old green stuff if you don't have a handy we wire sitting somewhere
Stormy sgt's... just ripp them apart, or even start from basic guard sgt and greenstuff armour and mail order the packs. All I can really suggest on them.
Just be original and be prepared to throw a few models in the scrap heap is all I can really say with complete confidence.
"I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus
"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius
"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco
Thnks for the info... ill give GW a ring and see if the tanith are still orderable. i got the product codes so if can find out once and for all if they are.
Thnks the the info and ideas on the officers etc. Ill get thinking about what im gonna do
1. Officers: Use plastic Cadian bodies and legs with tank commander heads, or sgt heads with sculpted hats.
Commisars: I'd just use the metal models. The charging commisar's weapons come unattached, and the one with the bolt pistol can easily be given a different weapon.
2. You could try combining Cadians with Catachans, and sculpting cloaks onto the resulting models. Plasma guns and bolters can be acquired from SM players or online bit stores.
-A pack or two of Forgeworld Cadian special weapons w/ respirators can make the squad more interesting. Plus, the plasma gunners could be used in the Kasrkin squads.
-Kasrkin special weapon troopers
-Guardsmen w/ SM melta guns
4. It would probably be simpler to add extra armor onto a plastic Cadian. Another thing you could do is combine the FW Kasrkin Chimera driver with Cadian legs, a pistol holster, and a sword sheath.
There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov
I totally agree with those folks who say that the plastic figures are easily converted.
Myself, I don't have much greenstuff skill (other than using it for filling gaps) - so I've just been swapping out weapons/hands/heads/arms/etc. from various plastic kits to get what I need.
For example, GW don't seem to do an officer figure for the most basic officer type (i.e. laspistol & chainsword), so I made my own:
...and I'm currently working on one with a powersword and bolt pistol.
I've also done similar things to yourself like guardsmen with laspistol/CC weapons:
...and special weapon troops:
If it's of interest to know what exact parts I've used for these (and other simple conversions), I've been trying to keep a log of all my purchases (what I have got hold of, how much it cost, etc.) on a basic looking blog (see my sig).
For example, one of the things I have got some good use out of is a space marine weapons sprue that I got from eBay (that cost me £2.70 + £1 P&P) - which contains a whole bunch of useful stuff (like a plasmagun, meltagun, boltpistol, plamsa pistols, etc.):
Anyway I hope that helps
Last edited by Kris 101; September 13th, 2008 at 10:34.
If you head to the likes of Bits and Kits, you can order all the bits you need to put together your conversions. I bought myself some plasma guns and melta guns the other day.
I think Imperial Guard are one of the best forces for diversity, there are so many options open to you, thats why I love them! You can really make your army your own!
If you can find the right scale there are other companies and kits outside of GW that can be used for IG. IG are probably the most versatile army in 40K, you could run anything from Vikings to Napoleonic infantry to standard Cadians, just make sure they have a las rifle.
In making my army I have used Cadian, Catachan, Space Wolves, Space Marines and various other bits.
The only real problem is the cost given the number of men you need. I like the Volpone "Blue Bloods" from the GG novels, and I would probably use Cadian bodies, US GI heads and try to find some kind of bulky armoured arms, probably from warhammer, to make them. But given you need about 70-80 men for a standard 1,500pts army thats a lot of cash.