Terminator Armour: Its all in the wording - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Terminator Armour: Its all in the wording

*Groan* I wish GW would stop putting fluff in the same paragraph as rules.

The new 5th Ed SM Codex (and I'm quoting here) says:

"Space Marine Terminators are not able to pursue a more lightly armoured foe when they flee. Terminators cannot perform a Sweeping Advance."

Can you hear the arguements already?

"Well your CMS Terminators have the same armour save as my loyalists so I should be able to perform a sweeping advance."

LOL

I wish they'd have a fluff paragraph and then bullet point the special rules.

Oh and on another Terminator related question, can Terminators Run?

I can't find any rule that says that they can't but one of my opponents put forth the point that if they're so cumbersome they can't chase after someone then why should they be able to run?

I'm interested to hear people views on this one.

Cheers

Last edited by Squig69; September 14th, 2008 at 13:58.
    Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Squig69 View Post
    *Groan* I wish GW would stop putting fluff in the same paragraph as rules.

The new 5th Ed SM Codex (and I'm quoting here) says:

"Space Marine Terminators are not able to pursue a more lightly armoured foe when they flee. Terminators cannot perform a Sweeping Advance."

Can you hear the arguements already?

"Well your CMS Terminators have the same armour save as my loyalists so I should be able to perform a sweeping advance."

LOL

I wish they'd have a fluff paragraph and then bullet point the special rules.

Oh and on another Terminator related question, can Terminators Run?

I can't find any rule that says that they can't but one of my opponents put forth the point that if they're so cumbersome they can't chase after someone then why should they be able to run?

I'm interested to hear people views on this one.

Cheers

LOL. When you want to start an argument, maybe first check the codex? Chaos terminator also cannot perform a sweeping advance....

And terminators can run just as any other infantry.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    LOL. When you want to start an argument, maybe first check the codex? Chaos terminator also cannot perform a sweeping advance....

And terminators can run just as any other infantry.
    ROFL

Yeah I know - it's silly - but my point is still valid, some one out there will take the wording incorrectly and assume that if the opposition has a 2+ armour save then they can perform a sweeping advance.

Thanks for the clarification about running by the way (rep)
    Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Squig69 View Post
    Yeah I know - it's silly - but my point is still valid, some one out there will take the wording incorrectly and assume that if the opposition has a 2+ armour save then they can perform a sweeping advance.
    Sure, they'll take the wording incorrectly. That's when you just flip open the rulebook, show them the rule, hand the book to them, and ask them to find you the reference to their own version of the rules. If they can't find it, it likely doesn't exist, and as this is a game of rules, you have to follow the rulebook.

Unless you're playing a bunch of friends and don't really care about the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you're playing a bunch of friends and don't really care about the rules.
    lol then the game becomes a mess It makes sense that the Terminators can run though. It's at their own pace. If they have to pursue an enemy who is faster than then (pretty much anyone) then of course they can't catch them. Even other Terminators, if they just suddenly run away, the others wouldn't catch them very often. (If they roll double ones, then they sweeping advance into them again.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense that the Terminators can run though. It's at their own pace. If they have to pursue an enemy who is faster than then (pretty much anyone) then of course they can't catch them
    Lol they dont need to run they can just pull out their assualt cannons, to mow down the enemy instead. Haha but in all seriousness your right it is stupid.
    Win Record (W/D/L) (2/1/1)
    Last Battle: 1v1 quarters
    My Army: Marines
    VS: Necrons
    Result: Win

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Termies can run at the same speed as regular marines- they just take a moment longer to get up to speed. That's why they can't 'sweep'- the split second it takes for the enemy to dart out of arm's reach is all the head start they need to escape.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread