need advice, starting warhammer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need advice, starting warhammer

So I was bored at Wetseal waiting for my gf to finish up her shopping spree and went to the GW next door and was amazed of how great these miniatures look and actually had a game with one of the store reps. Seems like a cool game and something I'd like to do. But now is the question of what I should get for my army. I'm pretty set on buying the black reach box for 60 since it comes with essentials thinks that I'll need to start. I definately stay with the SM and probably sell or trade the Ork stuff for more SM stuff. I'm just curious of what other characters or troops I should buy to build my army. I mean what would be a reasonable amount be to start of?

Also, is it fine if i buy spray paint at some store like wal mart and use it for the figures? Possible if I can get brushes there too?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Hello and welcome to LO and to Warhammer 40K in general!

The first thing you need to do is decide which chapter of the space marines to play as. This can be quite difficult, so check out the Space Marine 'Newbie' post below for some ideas on which chapter to play as, and what each chapter has that others don’t. This post is a little out of date now, but still applies well to the new changes.
    don't know which chapter to play as?

Once you have an idea on which chapter to collect, you'll need the relevant codex for that chapter (yes, another book!)

Once you have the paperwork out of the way, it's simply a matter of collecting the models and painting them up. The BR-Box set has most of the essentials needed in order to start an army, so buy models that appeal to you and your chapter.

As for painting, the GW paints are pretty good, but I am not a fan of their brushes. Wall-mart paints/brushes are going to be really poor quality, instead go to a proper craft/hobby store and check out their range. For more information on what paints are good and what's not, check out the painting section over here:
    LO Painting Forum

Any more questions, feel free to post and we're always happy to help =)

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey CR

thanks for the ultra fast reply. I'll take your advice and check out a few hobby stores around my area.

Going through the Pictures of the day thread right now and so excited and can't wait to start. I'm currently planning to move very soon which is the only thing holding me back from getting started but also gives me time to think of what to get. I'll probably go with the blood angels. Will pick up the codex book tomorrow.

But for now I gotta hit the sack

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

don't settle on a specifi army early or you will end up as a switcher.

Get a look and feel for the other armies out there. a 3+ save isnt everything maybe you like hordes of aliens better or cold deathly necrons. Maybe you find yourself liking a sit and shoot type of play and then you will be sqaundering your fortune on Tau.

Whatever you play start slow and stick to the wisdom of: never buy moar when you still havent built your last batch. And if your gaming circuit doesn't allow for unpainted minis make sure you understand just how long it will actually take to paint 5k points of stuff before you go buy it. have fun and good luck.

oh btw

smurfs are loyalist scum and we will eat all your souls in the warp.

have a nice day
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u want to use the blood angles the codex is available as a free download

GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Space Marines : Codex: Blood Angels

u will not need the main space marine codex as all info needed to field a blood angle army is in this download
    blood angels 5000 pts
    imperial guard 500 pts
    orks 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like Process said, dont be too quick to settle on an army... explore the other options open to you to see if any other armies appeal to you (if your into unstoppable, terminator-esque robots then Necrons would be a good choice... if your into WW2/Modern Combat scenarios, Imperial Guard might suit your taste better, who knows?)

But now with that little advice given, Space Marines can be tailored to fit any role. If you enjoy the idea of pumping your opponent full of lead/rockets/super heated plasma, the Space Marines can deliver. If you like the idea of tearing your opponents apart in close combat, the Space Marines can deliver. Over all, i think Space Marines is a great army to start your 40k experience with. Im pretty sure the Assault on Black Reach box will give you enough models to get a small army started (after trading the orks for more marines)... build em, paint em, and try them out. if you dont like the space marines after a couple games, then start investing in another army, but im fairly sure that you will stick with the Emperors Light (Burn the Heretic, and all that jazz)

there is also a ton of material for you to look at, if your interested in the history behind Warhammer 40k, a ton of books, magazines, and fan-fiction to satisfy any sci-fi nut. Welcome to Warhemmer 40k, and welcome to LO. and remember, were here to have fun ^_^

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Welcome to LO and welcome to this AWESOME hobby!!! Space Marines are an awesome first army. They tolerate mistakes that we all make when we are new, and they offer TONS of play and hobby options.

I play Blood Angels and they are very strong and fun. One of the things I like most about Blood Angels is their back story, or what we like to call the "fluff." They also have great special characters and a painted army looks awesome on the table top.

For painting models I recommend you prime them first and I really like Armoury brand primer. It is pretty inexpensive (5-6 US dollars per can), it coats evenly, thinly, and dries super-fast!

If you go with Blood Angels, get assault marines with jump packs. Get a lot of them!!
    Last edited by 4theEmperor!; September 15th, 2008 at 23:38. Reason: added more stuff
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

+ Reply to Thread