So the enemy holds that objective... what now? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the enemy holds that objective... what now?

This post is to find out how you folks deal with objectives the enemy has sunk there claws into. Obviously this can vary as to what is holding it but still, how do you go about taking it back or presenting some sort of descent threat.

Do you give um lotsa of fire power hoping to shoot um down... will that be possible vs a good armour save / cover save?

Do you use elite units to burst into the cover and shoot them up? Maybe flamer, melta or plasma equipped special weapons on command or vet squads?

Do you roll up a tank and use the heavy weaponry equipped to blitz them down.

Or do you simply roll over them with enough troops to drown a fish (eh? u get what i mean lol)

Now that in 5th objectives are becoming more and more key to victories what do you find is the most effective way as claiming them back.

I know infiltrating and deepstriking are options to hold these objectives first and often key to victory is doing so, i ask if you could you ignore this for now and focus on the "what if" they enemy controls it point of view. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Well... I just use concetrated firepower from my vehicles and exterminate or soften the resistance. So, the main problem is if the unit/s is/are hiding and I lack LOS with the targets. Then is when I consider very seriously if I launch an assault with bayonets. If these is impractical, I try to contest with any unit available for denay control. But the really difficult part is be able to give up an objetive that cant be taked or require to much resources. The last turns are critical, but most depend on the quantity of the objetives. In the final stages of the battle, we have less resources and very likely are spreaded on the board. I try to concentrate the strenght in achievable objetives like when we concentrate fire for get kill points. My list is mobil, so I have a more flexible vision about retreat and reinforce other objetives.
    Last edited by mareo; September 19th, 2008 at 19:30.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I use concentrated ordenance to soften up enemy held objectives. Turn 5, I send in some Grenadiers to rapid fire and at least contest... at best win the objective by the end of the game.

Im also looking at including a few more flame weapons through out the army.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Well I would probably try to take the objectives on my side of the board and hold them with lots of troops. The enemy can take his objectives as well, in which case I'd use tanks to contest it and go for the win based on my objectives. An armored fist squad (probably without a heavy weapon so as to add mobility) might be good to roll in right behind a Leman Russ to provided added firepower and to hopefully take the objective after dealing with enemy troops.

Of course, with the abundance of cover saves now, it might bode well to use a Hellhound for those kinds of duties, once again supported by some sort of mobile troop unit.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the enemy. Do they have a 3+ or better armour save? If not, then flamers, so many flamers! Hellhounds are wonderful for this - but even four flamer command squads out of a Chimera. Inquisitors with Incinerators work nicely, when attached to an armoured fist squad with a flamer.

If they're Marines - its slightly harder. Battlecannons are alright - forcing them onto the 50/50 of a 4+ save is pretty good for such an expensive model. If not - volume of fire. Flamers again work somewhat well, as they can force handfuls of saves on a unit, but failing that, rapid-fire lasguns do the trick.

In 5th, I find I am closing with the enemy to rapid-fire them far more than I might've before. I guess this is also to get double out of my plasma gun, but still... close-in firefights are always good times.
    "Not Another Step Back! Death to the Enemies of Man!"

+ Reply to Thread