Pack-less assault marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pack-less assault marines

Do you guys think that a squad of jump pack-less assault marines in a rhino or drop pod is worth it? They'd certainly survive enough to get more bodies into melee in a rhino.

"Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men." - Jean Rostand

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I've toyed with this myself. Never actually brought it to the table top though. What you must remember is that you cannot assault after jumping from a vehicle. So to maximize effectiveness you have to allow the transport to be destroyed and then pass your pinning test. Then you can move and assault on your turn..ultimately they're gonna get shot at..

Peace
    JOIN MY SQUAD IN THE SONS OF THE LIBRARIUM THREAD, I NEED TACTICAL MARINES! I PLAN TO CONVERT UP A SQUAD TO "COUNT AS" LoTD IN MY SMarine ARMY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lordsauron View Post
    I've toyed with this myself. Never actually brought it to the table top though. What you must remember is that you cannot assault after jumping from a vehicle. So to maximize effectiveness you have to allow the transport to be destroyed and then pass your pinning test. Then you can move and assault on your turn..ultimately they're gonna get shot at..

Peace
    Likewise, I was gonna buy the BP/CCW bits and add them to a normal Tactical Squad set, but thought somewhere along these lines. So with that in mind, a cheaper option would be a 10-man Scout squad, kitted out similar to the packless Assault squad, only with the infiltrators rules. With careful deployment and timing, 10 scouts rushing out of the bushes at the enemy can be quite effective.

I guess if it would be in keeping with your armies fluff, then go for it I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about zipping up 12", popping smoke and hiding the marines behind the rhino?
    "Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men." - Jean Rostand

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lordsauron View Post

Peace
    You can assault after disembarking *if* the vehicle does not move at all before you get out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my salamander army will have a 10 man jump squad packless in a drop pod. i did this because of the salamander fluff. not to mention the sgt can get a thunder hammer which vulkan will hook up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my BA are built around assault troops in rhinos but similar to drop pods just one is ineffective is the rhino will be shot to pieces always use 2 or preferably 3 to present options to the opponent forcing them to spread there fire alternatively give a devi squad a rhino or 2 start them already disembarked then charge all Ur rhinos ah the joy on an opponents face when they waste all there firepower destroying a rhino to find it empty(to avoid arguments i have numbered the bottom of my rhinos and each squad lists what rhino its in as the numbers are on the bottom my opponents can see my army list without discovering which rhino is which)
    blood angels 5000 pts
    imperial guard 500 pts
    orks 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one must ask himself - why buy a rhino when an assault marine with jump pack costs a few points more than a standard tactical marine. Rhinos should be reserved for footslogers (putting a rhino with assault squad makes the squad cost more, and you need all the points you need for other options). Rhino could be used with vanguard veteran squad (because with jump packs they cost almost like terminators and still have 3+ save). Put a squad of five veterans (2 with power weapons, one with lightning claw) in a rhino a that should be enough (heroic intervention rule is good but is a big risk for such an expensive unit). But I would take an assault squad over vanguard any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought - by my reading anyway, but I was tired and so may be mistaken, that you can replace the Jump Packs with a Rhino/Razorback/Pod at no cost - so there's no additional cost to the unit involved (or do you mean in total VP when the squad/vehicle dies)?

As I said, I may be wrong, and I've lent my codex to a mate (curse my kindness!) today. I'd still take an Assault Squad over Vanguard though, since Vanguard don't get the "free-exchange" option (that I thought I saw) and can end up costing a heck of a lot of points when you go for the weapon options - and aside from giving them Storm Shields, they still die like regular Marines, but their death can really cost you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

assault squad and vanguard veteran squad can take a drop pod, rhino or a razorback (not free BTW) instead of their jump packs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast