Squad, platoon and company markings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squad, platoon and company markings

How do you do yours or don't you bother? I think the Cadian (I play Cadians) marking is a bit simple, fluff wise how would an officer know what squad these men were in, of which platoon and in which company? A three didgit number is hard to place when you have umpteen thousands of squads!

I was thinking of having the Cadian symbol on the right arm with the regiment (303) over the top and on the left arm perhaps some kind of geometric symbol indicating platoon and company, perhaps with the squad number overlaid.

Anyone know how this works in real armies? I'm guessing Cadians are based on the British or American military.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

In all honesty, there aren't many markings, beyond unit patches, that we have to tell one another apart. We just know each other, you know?

What I did for my guys, since they lack nametapes and won't organize themselves, is I painted on their left shoulder a 3-digit code, and their right shoulder, a color. Also, I put that around the base. So, a soldier from Alpha Company 1st Platoon, 1st Squad has "A11" on the left, and yellow on the right and the base. Wheras a member of Second Platoon, 1st Squad has "A21" and a black shoulderpad.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Mine have no markings on the units themselves. What do you think call-signs are for?

Just another reason to grab a vox-caster.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

i don't bother marking my infantry; i do have markings on the vehicles though. written in black on my green camo.

for american marines, the only visible infantry marking usually is rank, though vehicles are usually marked to denote what vehicle unit they belong to (example 3D206; vehicle 6, 2nd platoon, delta company, 3rd battalion).
    mainly, helps differentiate the vehicles for people outside, so you can tell which is which when no one is there to tell you.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine's a simple marking method. Mainly I just paint a completely different color on the left shoulder-pad for each squad, working on the principle so that each squad can match up members.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

i thought about markings once... but at the end of the day i'm a committed all-infantry IG player and with 130 infantry alongside 4 sentinels at 1500 points, as long as the squad has the right special and heavy weapon (and a vet sgt for line squads while officer for command squads), then it doesn't matter in the end.

the one thing i have been toying with has been doing the token black guy in all my squads so i have someone designated as first casualty when the squad gets hit for the comedic value of it (it's not offensive unless you accept racism).

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Sounds like my tallarian suicide bombers, Certemplar.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

For my infantry I use a similar code to the WW2 german tanks. In fact I use it on my tanks to!

Some of the cadian style infantry I have are numbered thus.

first number is the company, second the platoon and third the squad so
    321 would be third company second platoon first squad (I use zeros for command squads)
    I also have a set regimental system so 3rd company is actually a line company for the sake of arguement. As for regiment that is all down to uniform.

Another system I use is the colour method.
    The platoons of the force are coloured so that red is the first then blue then green etc etc. this is only within the company though. they then have a single double or triple stripe in platoon colour on their right shoulder. The command squads also have a purple stripe on their left shoulder for platoon commands. Company commands are half purple and overall command is total purple.I also use piping colour to distinguish company as well so red theme is first company etc etc.

The best way I have found is either to adapt Napoleonic differentiation systems (these are colour usually) and if you want numbers use tank designations.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking a number theme like some of you folks have used, mind I still wouldn't mind painting some patterns.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Patterns are still good tbh they would probably make your army stand out a little more. I always thought triangles with numbers seemed very military, don't ask why they just do somehow hmmmm.

Perhaps combine numbers with patterns circle for squad 1 line for squad 2 triangle for three etc would be pretty cool. you could use the colour combo as well if you did that. I use divisional markings on a fair amount of my stuff (too many armies so needed a unifying theme) so that could work.

If all else fails you can paint names on the back of the bases and learn them all though loses could complicate matters hmmm,

Too much mind activity today methinks anyway whatever you decide pics will be wanted as always.

A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast