Custom chapters and Space Marines these days - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Custom chapters and Space Marines these days

Hey All,

First off let me say I wish I had found this resource a few years back - the sheer amount of useful tips, fluff, player feedback (etc etc etc!) is amazing.

I came across this site because I am getting back into W40k (again ) and was looking for information on whats the go these days with Space Marines. After reading for a few days, I decided to register so I could ask you all a few questions (and hopefully contribute later on when I’m back up to speed).

I've been collecting Space Marines on and off for about 9 years now. And yes, I was one of those kid gamers who collected Vanilla(ultra)marines.

A few years back I thought: Wouldn't it be cool if I made my own chapter?

So I bought some more models and painted them, and my old ones, this black colour scheme, which I still think looks awesome (black ftw).

This brings me to my question. I have recently started again with a friend (who is a blasphemous CSM collector). Now I'm a bit older (21) I can take my gaming and painting a bit more seriously - so this is my chance to decide once and for all what Chapter/Colour scheme to go with.

One thing I have always disliked about having your own chapter is special characters/models. There is no support for custom chapters (lore/fluff, special rules, iconography, banners, standards), however there are all these cool rules and special models for predefined GW chapters (honour guard for UM, Cassius, Lysander, Shriike etc etc).

So, with this in mind, I thought it time to switch to a supported chapter - and since I *love* black power armour, decided on Black Templars.

So my friend and I wandered down to the local GW store, finding out new rules have come out and a new SM codex is coming out next month. And being told by the staff NOT to go BT - "because they're getting owned with the release of the next book". While I was there, I also read the BT codex - suffice to say I don't like BT fluff/rules. Then I went home and found this site, and started to read (and unfortunately I still could not make up my mind).

So you can see the conundrum I’m in my fellow collectors - I want a recognised chapter for all the cool models, iconography, rules and banners - but I also want black power armour and don't want to be constricted by lame perks/drawbacks. If I'm going to field an army, *I* am going to decide what units I can/can't bring to the fight.

A couple of days back I bought all the paints to raise an Ultramarine army (because lets face it - GW have given them everything) - but when I opened up my display cabinet with all those black-clad angels of death....I couldn't bring myself to paint them blue.

So. What on earth do I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

P.s. In before wall of text crits you for over 9k etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Power armour but not Black templars? how about raven guard?
    Raven Guard - Lexicanum

read up on the fluff and see if you like them, dont forget to read about Kayvan Shrike
    Kayvaan Shrike - Lexicanum
    (he is in the new codex)

overall RG armies are characterized by lots of assault marines, but that doesnt matter you have to. they could be run perfectly well as a "Vanilla List"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for your reply sim.

I had a feeling that Raven Guard, being an assaulty army, would be restricted by traits in the 4th edition codex, but with the release of the upcoming codex, I read that this has been removed.

Still, after reading up on them after following the link you provided, they sound crippled, in terms of both their gene seed and their strength. Low numbers, older armour, corrupted gene seed etc. They sound like one of those chapters that are not only characterised by their massed assault troops, but also a low number of terminators, and other special gear.

However I do like the fact that they were one of the original legions.

Overall, I'd probably go UM before RG.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

How about using the Blood Angels codex for your Raven Guard. Then you can have assualt marines with jump packs as troops. Very much the Raven guard style.

- Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

The "Counts As" rule is the Custom Chapter's best friend.

As long as your Custom Chapter follows all of the rules for one of the named Chapters, then you can use that chapter's Special Characters to "Count As" your own special character (with a different name)
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mpdscott View Post
    The "Counts As" rule is the Custom Chapter's best friend.

As long as your Custom Chapter follows all of the rules for one of the named Chapters, then you can use that chapter's Special Characters to "Count As" your own special character (with a different name)
    So, I could say my custom chapter "Counts As" Ultramarines for example? Then I can use their characters for whatever, as long as I play by all their rules?

Sounds good to me.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Yep thats a new rule, you have to be all one named chapter in the book but you can paint them differently and pretend that they are a different chapter. GW opening up some new chapters for all to customize and make.
    Last edited by Hex; September 28th, 2008 at 14:47.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

If you want to play an actual defined chapter, Black Templar or Raven guard are the 2 biggest black marines. I don't really see how Black Templar got owned with the new rules (unless they mean their new codex which isn't out yet). At the moment, the object holding rule helps their CC crusader squads. I guess deploying with drop pods would be tough seeing as I don't believe a drop pod can hold 20 models... drop pod crusader anyone?
    Using their old codex, and the new rules... Black Templar are a decent army (with a dead simple paint scheme). The new rules about chapters works too though. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armies with Black Armour include:

Iron Hands
    Ravenguard
    Angels Of Vengeance
    Black Consuls
    Brotherhood Of A Thousand
    Emperors Scythes

Otherwise, simply create a name and apply the 'Counts As' rule.
    Same with Character figures... choose the ones you like, change their name and use the 'Count As' rule.

wretched

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast