Gold Armour - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Armour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gold Armour

Hi all,
    I was thinking of painting a squad, possibly terminators, with gold armour. I was wondering how people would think it would look. I currently have two tactical squads painted, one in black with gold trim and the other Tamiya metallic blue with gold trim. I was thinking of painting each squad in a different scheme.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Personally I would say stick to one colour scheme, looks better overall in an army, changing makes the army look ragtag.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Stick with what Pickle said. Very few people paint each squad a different colour, and it always looks bad when on the board.

If you want some different colouring for each squad, change the colour of the helmet and sholder pad/trim. Knee/Elbow pad colours are also flexible, but as a general word of advice, paint squads of the same type (tacticals/assault/scout/devistator/etc) the same way.

HTH

CR

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

But as far as all gold armor, if you have some good gold paint it could look pretty sweet (as it tends to get pretty thick and clumpy) but I think it'll look better on artificier armor rather than terminator armor, but that's just my opinion.

When I paint gold I normally paint shining on first, then wash that in chestnut ink, then go back and highlight in shining again. then an extreme highlight of shining/mithril mix (or burnished gold if you have that)
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

Gold paint would look horrible, nuff said. Use it for the highlights, and stick to base colour for the main stuff.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

You can pull off a single gold marine in an army. Take Helbrecht for example in the BT codex, his gold armor (artificer) sets him apart from the rest of the army. As a note, however, half of his armor is covered by a cape.

Now, would a whole squad look good in gold. Probably not. Gold is tough to paint well (many thin layers of paint), and when you get too much of it on the board, it becomes a bit overwhelming to look at.

Personally, I would love to see an accent marine (or two) in gold armor leading the rest of the army. But, given the fact that you have each and every unit painted a different color (why did you do that again), I would strongly advise you to stay away from an all gold terminator squad.

But then again, you paid for the guys, paint them how you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    Gold paint would look horrible, nuff said. Use it for the highlights, and stick to base colour for the main stuff.
    Have you seen the Dante model for Blood Angels? He looks stunning. As said above, a single gold model looks epic in an army, but it has to be done right so it comes across as a single shining beacon of power amongst the sea of marines!

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CleanRabbit View Post
    As said above, a single gold model looks epic in an army, but it has to be done right so it comes across as a single shining beacon of power amongst the sea of marines!
    Not necessarily. Unlike in the webstore, GW has painted the entire Honor Guard in the Blood Angels Codex all gold as well (with red shoulder pads and white insignia) and it looks just terrific. I'm going to do the same with one of mine.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I also think that making each squad differently looks bummy. I also don't like full gold armor: the problem is that it'll look very flat and fake.

You could do a different helmet and shoudler guard color for the various elites? (let's say a grey base armor, red helmet & shoulder pads for devastators, light blue helmet & shoulder pads for assault marines, gold helmet & shoulder pads for the captain and the basic marines just white helmet & shoulder pads)
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's all prefrence when it comes to how your army looks (if your not choosing a known chapter like DA or the SMurfs) so go for it if you think it'll look good. Though keeping a standard color scheme looks better unless your chapter is well.. the left overs from previous attempts.

Me personally i like the elites to have some form of gold emblem on them to seperate them form the sea of marines. and Shadow's rabbits comment on dante is correct nothing strikes me as more Kick ass than him leading about 5-10 man assault squads into battle during and apocalypse game.
    Who is to judge what and what is wrong? In these days we cannot afford the luxury of mortality. - Saint Aqueis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast