Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardsmen Suck

2K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  admiralk 
#1 ·
They suck! their armor sucks, cc sucks, lasguns suck. I lost 2 companies trying to take a SM held bridge. Not including 2 Leman russ tanks. Am i doing stuff wrong, or do they just suck? :angry:

*****ADVICE WELCOME******

#2 ·
Well, four of them do suck! Hell, ten of them suck! Ninety of them though, is pretty darn hard to kill :D

#4 ·
CLICK ME

I think this link should explain everything you need to know about the ig.

#5 ·
what exactly do you mean by "two companies" cause a real company can be pretty damn big... give us some numbers.

as for the state of suckieness for guardmen... well... hmm how should i put this... compared to a SpaceMarine .. yes.. they suck.

compared to a necron warrior, yes they suck
compared to a ork or nid (in cc), yes they suck
compared to a DE warrior, yes they suck
hell even compared to a tau they suck

but you can't compared one guardsmen to one enemy model... hell you even compare X points of guardmen vs X points of enemy...

it's a combination of IGs many bodies, many guns, chain of command, and simply put.. gutts...

i don't know what else to tell you other than, take lots of men, lots of guns and use them well and you should win. don't go over board with lil extras (doctrines, gear, etc). keep it simple. and for god sake, don't run into H2H (unless it's Tau).

#6 ·
Guardsmen are point for point some of the best troops in the game. They have exactly average stats and strength in numbers.

If you haven't invested in lots of heavy weapons and ordinance, then yes, space marines will chew you up and spit you out. I personally take about 15 heavy weapons and three tanks in my 1850 point army and I hardly ever have troubles against space marines. Especially with basilisk tanks. :)

#9 ·
I had this poor idiot player attempt to walk his 100+ model SM army towards me instead of using rhinos (This was when rhino rush was legal). I was playing my IG army and I just tore them to pieces, especially whenever they ended up within rapid fire range.

I've seen lasguns take down things that all my heavy bolters and autocannons failed to wound. See, what happens is it becomes statistically impossible for a marine to make a certain number of armor saves. So, although the lasgun is a sucky weapon, when it's employed in mass amounts, it starts making statistics take their toll on the enemy. Especially with sharpshooters doctrine, which gives the statistics a better chance to come out favorably.

#10 ·
I’ve heard people say that guardsmen suck. The fact is, a single Guardsmen dose, but you put him with a hundred other of his friends and you face an army more feared than the Nightbringer himself. They've gone up against mass bolter fire, ork Hordes, greater demons and they still managed to pull through. But not every battle has been a complete victory. No, I've lost my sare of battles to a mistake of my own undoing. Which is most likely the ones you are making.

#14 ·
i hate posts like these, dont dis my guardsmen u rajun cajun fat prick! guardsmen(in big groups) can do whatever u want them to! its the commander that sucks (if u were smart, ud know i was talking about YOU!!!!!)

#15 ·
i collect IG and i gota admit nothin (except grots) are quite as bad as a guardsman but the tanks on the other hand are a lille bit better then most :D also, orgryns arnt so bad as well so altogether its only the normal troops and command that truly suk in IG armies

#19 ·
Think about it this way:

When many Guardsmen take wounds, you think to yourself "Crap, they're dead." If you make a few saves, you think "Cool, some of them lived, they can still shoot their special weapon next turn."

But when Marines take a few wounds, you think "Well, they'll make their saves, because it's 3+." Then when a few fail, you think, "Crap! I lost a few Marines to Lasrifle shots!"

Ok, maybe that little dialogue was kinda lame.

It's been said, man for man, Guardsmen are not good. A single troop of any army won't accomplish anything, though. One Marine, one Guardian, one Hormaguant, none of them will accomplish anything alone. So why should Guardsmen be expected to save the day all by themselves?

Here's why I belive Guardsmen are excellent. To me, Imperial Guardsmen are the most versatile, cost effective troops in the game. With all of the options they have available, they can be tooled up to do anything.

Or, my way of doing things, is to send them into battle with thier Flak and their Lasrifle, and every two out of ten get either a Flamer, a Grenade Launcher, or a Chainsword, or the occasional Meltagun, should the need arise. You spend fewer points and get more men. Fancy doctrines and 25-point Lascannons may look like fun, but I'd take four Guardsmen instead, any day.

Wow, I'm turning every post I make into "Liek's Imperial Guard Tactics." Oh well.

#21 ·
Gaurdsmen rock hands down no matter what that fruit says................they may suck alone but with a few hundred of there buddies and they can kick ass.

#23 ·
Guardsmen suck, yes.

the impirial Guard suck? no they rule

A gardsman is but a single bolt,. in the well oild, effective Impirial War machine.

#24 ·
200 men in an 1500 army? you must be doing something wrong. if you dont have any upgrades, think of the numbers of men you would have...........

my army has 11 plasma guns, 6 lascannons, and 104 men :eek:

you gotta love strolling 50 conscripts up to the enemy, and unleashing 5 flamer templates into them. mwahahaha.

who else thinks i should take less conscripts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.