To play DA or not to play DA... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To play DA or not to play DA...

When I started to play WH40k, I chose DA as my chapter cause I liked their colors and loved their fluff. However, i'm a competitve player, and like to win as much as having fun. With the new SM codex here, i'm seeing some much new stuff that i'm loving and playtesting, makes me wonder if i should finish painting my DA stuff. My biggest issue is the question of: "Do we get to use the new stuff in the SM codex, or have to follow our codex to the T?" For example: Chapter masters now get an orbital bombardment but Azrael does not. Whirlwinds get to chose which missile they fire when shooting, while DA whirlwinds have to chose at the start of game which missile they can fire. Sternguard, Vanguard, Thunderfire, etc..... do DA even get to field them? There is more than that but the biggest thing is, why play a divergance chapter now if you can field newer, better units playing vanilla. If someone knows if theres a rule or FAQ or errata somewhere that says any chapter can use any standard codex stuff, please please enlighten me, but as of right now i'm lost in my chapter selection and i'm concidering UM now due the fact they get the most love of all chapters, and through that the most special character choices.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment, the answer to all your questions is .... no.

Dark Angels have their own codex and until GW either publishes a new Codex: DA or errata/FAQ the above items, Azrael cannot use orbital bombardment, nor can DA select Sternguards/Vanguards, etc...

Bottom line is until there is an official communication from GW that the new features on the new Codexpace Marines will be usable for all other Space Marines chapters or by another chapter that has a dedicated Codex (DA/BA/SW/BT) these new Codex rules don't apply to them.
    Last edited by Cowboy; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well personally it doesn't make sense for DA to have sternguard and vanguard because their first company is strictly deathwing terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

DA should get the same wargear and vehicles as normal marines. Storm shields and Land Raiders should be the same regardless of color. They can keep Sternguard, Vanguard, Ironclad Dreads, Redeemers, Thunderfires, etc.

That said, the DA book is competitive but only if you run Deathwing/Ravenwing. Normal marines can do everything else better and for cheaper, but DW/RW are nasty when used in tandem.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    DA should get the same wargear and vehicles as normal marines. Storm shields and Land Raiders should be the same regardless of color. They can keep Sternguard, Vanguard, Ironclad Dreads, Redeemers, Thunderfires, etc.

That said, the DA book is competitive but only if you run Deathwing/Ravenwing. Normal marines can do everything else better and for cheaper, but DW/RW are nasty when used in tandem.

I just like the fact that vanilla marines can now run mortis dreadnoughts.........but DA cannot!

Mhuaa hahahahaha.

...Actually, it's not that funny.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Stupid that DA codex is so new and already outdated...
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

+ Reply to Thread