How do you make a Brother-Captain worthwhile as a HQ choice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you make a Brother-Captain worthwhile as a HQ choice?

Not to long ago i was flicking through HQs of the other armies and looking on in awe at how they would be tearing me apart, then i though, without costing the earth i.e. a GM how do we get a Grey Knight HQ, this naturally brought me to the BC, however after looking into the guy i found that he often failed..... well there's no other way to put it, miserably.

Does anyone know how to remedy this, for example a few pieces of wargear they've found useful, tactics etc anything to make this guy useful and worth putting in a list.

thanks to all who reply, much apprectiated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I find there are two ways to make a BC effective:

1) Give him a Psycannon and have him walk around with a squad of PAGKs or Termies with another Psycannon or sit him back with a PAGK squad that has two Psycannons for a third.

2) Give him a Retinue of 4 Termies and put him in a Landraider or a LRC.

Any game over 1500pts I really try and take a GM.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

All of the above are great ideas but i got to say the best is a BC w/psycannon and a retinue. It cost practically the same for a BC + 2 GKT as it does for a GM on his bill. So just tool em up for whatever you need. Generally a squad of 5, one with a Psy cannon, two with TH/SS and the rest NFW/SB as a retinue then just add the BC. It tears through anything! Be careful not let them be stuck in the open staring down the barrels of plasma cannons *crys at memory*.
    GM are worth the points tho because you get the all important I and BS so in the retinue they can strike first (sometimes) and lesson the attacks back. Also in a retinue there not exposed, only wargear needed is master crafted NFW really. Still points vs effectiveness id go for BC + Retinue.

PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; October 3rd, 2008 at 19:45.
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x4)

To be honest, a BC is never going to be able to stand toe-to-toe with some of the nastier close-combat HQ choices out there on his own, no matter what wargear you give him. The best build I've used is just giving him a psycannon and letting him lay down the hurt at long range. If you want your HQ to dish it in assault, a retinue of GKTs is the best way to get there. I've also found a bare-bones GM to be nastily effective. I like to give him Holocaust if I've got the points left over, but then I've always been a sucker for that power. Give him a retinue of 4 GKTs, get 'em stuck in, and watch the carnage. It is worth noting though that a BC + 2 GKTs is about the same cost as a GM, but has more attacks. They have no Force Weapon, though, and slightly less initiative, so it's something of a toss-up.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Give him a psycannon and PSYCHIC HOOD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

The use of the BC, is in his cheap cost in comparison to the GM. As already said, a GM normally costs about 1 BC + 2 GKT. With this, you also have 3 wounds, more attacks, more shots being fired, more Instakill resilience at the cost for loosing the "mindblasting" effect and that each wound inflicted reduces attack power.
    Most often, a BC is kitted with Psycannon, and sometimes a Psychic Hood depending on opponent.
    You shouldn't see the BC as a solo killing model, because he just isn't. But he does allow you to use Dreads and Landraiders when you take him.
    If you want to have a solo killing guy, then the GM is perfect, but he's also quite expensive to for us.
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

To put it simply heres the viable options :
    Fire support : In a squad of PAGK or another squad of GKT, can lay the hurt down and if the fire support squad gets charged then you get another couple of NFW attacks. Can also be given a psychic hood but GK already get a save against psychic so only consider if using alot of ISTs (mind you it can bugger up defensive powers such as guide or fortune).
    CC squad of doom! : Just add a retinue. Nothing says die than a bucket load of NFW love. This squad can walk (2 psy cannons), deepstrike (risky but if pulled of right can put the willies up the enemy) or get a LR/LRC (LRC is better as you get frag launchers so just charge the meatiest unit in cover you can find). This build can get expensive (easily 550ish pts with LR) but it is the linch pin of your army. Bit of a one trick pony.... but what a trick!
    Lesser CC squad of doom : Same as above but use a squad of PAGK instead of GKT with 2 incinerators in a LRC.

Cant really think of any other builds. As far as wargear goes, in order from best to worst :
    Icon of the just - Master crafted/Psycannon - Bionics.

Master crafted and the psycannon just depend on if your going cc or shooty so id say thier joint second. All other wargear is too situational or expensive with one exception......Holy Relic. This little baby has saved my bacon and made my opponent look in horror as i jump out of LR, kill everything, get counter charged, reveal holy relic and kill everything again. Im going to try this with 2 LRC (with PAGK) and 1 LR (GKT) in close proximity to each other and reveal, hopefully getting all GK in the area effect. *cue evil laugh*
    One bit of advise on wargear is that its all too expensive and should only be bought if you have points left over. Points = more bodies on the table which is far more useful.

PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; October 19th, 2008 at 16:13.

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Interesting tactic with the Holy Relic, there Pheonix Lord. Very interesting.

I always thought Holy Relics were a waste of points, but I guess not because of the counterattack. Too bad the GKT's and LR's are so expensive, otherwise that strategy would be ownage.

I like to use Brother Captain Stern whenever I can - similar amount of points and I like the rerolls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Tis a fun strategy as GKT and PAGK can be counter charged and take it (due to armour and numbers respectively) but if you do it once expect the next game to have every plasma gun aimed at em. *sobs*
    Same sort of thing happened when my mate got the new CSM codex and was ready to unleash uber grit on me when i explained that he was charging into 13 S6 power weapon attacks. Needless to say he didn't charge but aimed ALL of his army at the unit. I learnt to glote AFTER you wipe them off the table. *sobs some more*
    Never had a use for stern, nearly the same cost as a GM and has a special ability that helps the enemy just as much as you. Used him once and he was a maverick and fun but still ... nah.

PL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you all for the various suggestions for the roles and such all very much appreciated and thank you for your time, i'll put the advice to good use

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast