New Codex Likes andd Dislikes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Codex Likes andd Dislikes

Since the new codex has just been released, I thought I'd start a thread to see what people like or dislike about it. I'll start off.

Like:
    I definately like the new units, even if there aren't models for them all yet. I also like the fact that my existing 1500p army now has a spare 60pts. no idea what I'm going to put in to fill it yet. maybe a razorback and some upgrades?

Dislike:
    I dislike the fact that my termi squad can only have one heavy weapon now, and the fact that you need ten marines to give them special weapons. also not so fond of the fact that there is no more terminator honours, meaning that i can't give my commander yet another attack (my commander had 6 power weapon attacks on the charge with the old codex).

Please post how you feel about the new codex. It will be interesting to see how people feel about the changes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

GW have obviously put the focus back onto 10 man squads. You want a good core of these, because you get a free flamer and missile launcher at 10 men.

Termies having 1 heavy weapon makes sense, but I can see how if you've modeled them otherwise it would be annoying.

Add Razorbacks, they can transport and have good weapons making them well worth their meager points cost.

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

One thing I like is the razorback. I like the cheap cost of the basic model, and I like the new weapon options.
    The one I like the most is the "Mark I" with the lascannon and twin-linked plasma guns.

When I was new to 40K I bought some space marine stuff on E-bay and it came with 2 of those Mark I razorbacks. I was very disappointed when I found out I could not use them (AFTER I painted them!) I almost threw the turrets away, like 50 times!! I am very glad I kept them...
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

Nice. Razorbacks are now my favourite SM unit. Not only can they carry a small and elite unit (like Pedro with some Sternguard in my case), they also give some very cheap heavy weapons.

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

4theEmperor!, i too like the new weapon choices for Razorbacks, in fact, now i always take four 10man tactical squads with either razorbacks or rhinos as transports. but isn't twin-linked plasma-guns with an autocannon? or has my memory failed me?

the 10 or 5 man rule, in my opinion it helps give the marines a bit of structure (i always disliked having 6 - 9 man squads.
    new special characters, simply a stroke of briliance by GW.
    sternguard.
    drop-pod assault is now feasible and o so attractive, now with vulkan.

Dislikes:
    having only one heavy weaapon per terminator squad.
    and only allowing land raiders for terminators and HQs. (i think)
    thunderfire cannons (fluffwise), they just don't fit in the space marine scheme of things.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really liking the redeemer, it fits in well with my new salamander army, especially with Vulkan around now. I also like the free flamer/missile launcher, as I was using those already.

However, I think the thunderfire cannon is too un-space-marine-y. It's too static, and that does not fit sm fluff at all. Plus, it really isn't all that powerful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting views.

From my perspective, the biggest issues arise with regards to models and the WYSIWYG rule.

There are a number of people I know who have 5 man Terminator Squads with 2 special weapons in. These Squads are now not fieldable as 5 man Squads as the new Codex only allows 2 special weapons in 10 man Squads. Obviously, they either need to go and buy more Terminators (either to replace the second special weapon or build the Squads to 10 ) or they must dismember their lovingly painted model and stick the Storm Bolter arm on instead.

That aside, I am overall happy enough with the new codex.

No more traits.... I like that. In my opinion they never really worked anyway, the negatives were never severe enough as a pay-off for some of the positives.

New units on the whole are nice, solid units.

The new Tech-Marine weapons makes him a character that can now be of some use at distance if he isnt doing his Techy thing.

Land Speeder Storm.... Perhaps not quite up to the mark. Scouts are still a lesser used unit and I dont see the storm changing that. SM players like the 3+ save, and Scouts just dont quite live up.

No More Terminators allowed as Command Squads... well, thats a bit annoying actually, as that was a large part of my army make-up.

The new Redeemer.... simple..... Nice!!!

The Thunderfire Cannon.... I think will get initial usage due to it being a new model, but I think it will appear less and less as time goes by. It is a rather easliy dispatched unit for its points. Personally, a Whirlwind is vastly superior when you compare the 2.

Other than that I think its a decent codex, which gives the Marines a more rounded feel, with more options and strategies.

wretched

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Black Reach Termies are perfect for padding out your squads. And if you used the Cyclone before you still get 2 shots.

-Cyclone and Typhoon are Heavy 2! More dakka!
    -LR and DP capacity increased, good for carting characters around
    -Drop Pods are much better now and more reliable
    -Razorbacks are awesome
    -Scout Bikes are phenom
    -Sternguard are the best unit in the Codex, Vanguard are fun too (needs a locater beacon to be useful though)
    -Scouts are still good
    -Chapter Masters are truly awesome
    -Dreads are sweet
    -The codex is HUGE and is easily one of the best books GW has put out in a while, I hope this is a sign of things to come

Dislikes:
    -I play Dark Angels, and we got seriously crapped on by this book. Vanilla marines can do pretty much everything we can do but cheaper and better.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

Rather sad that DA is so new and outdated already. Feel sorry for da players, I was almost gonna play them myselves.

I'm wondering whether to change my termies into assault marines somehow, anyone know where I can get the parts?

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Hi,
    Can someone please enlighten me with Land Raiders. Because I heard somewhere that now you could only take a maximum of two, one with a Terminator Assault Squad and one with a Terminator Squad. Please please please tell me this is incorrect!

Also, can I take two Razorbacks with a single Tactical Squad so that both my Combat Squads have a Transport.

thanks a bucket load!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast