Tyrand player question on tactical squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrand player question on tactical squad

Hey guys, 'nid player here with a quick question.

I was playing a 2k space marine army the other day and came across something I hadn't seen before. My opponent had a tactical squad with 2 plasma guns, a melta gun, and a Sergent with a plasma pistol. I thought it was just a group of bolters (playng with primed, not poainted unts) and my tyrant was taken out quickly. I am afraid that I do not have the space marine codex; so, I thought I would ask. Was this a legal unit? If so, I need to look out.

I thank you for your responses.

Ainom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Tactical Squads can only have 1 special weapon (melta, plasma, flamer).

Unless it was a Command Squad (which can have up to 4 of them), you just got robbed.
    Last edited by ==Me==; October 6th, 2008 at 17:26.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as I said in another post, use your 4th ed hardcover book and knock him on the head.

tactical marines could carry 2 special weapons in the last SM codex but now it's limited to one special and one heavy if a tactical squad numbers 10 marines.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

Was it possiable he was using the last edtion of the codex were he could take 2 special weapons since?.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't own the 4th edition personally but I'm pretty certain it was one special and one heavy per squad of 5-10 models. I do own the new codex it smells very nice ...

... and it too does not contain options for more than one special or heavy weapon per squad. In fact you MUST have all ten in the squad to get either weapons!

EDIT: A command squad can have a maximum of 4 of these - the "veterans" of the squad maybe armed with special weapons. Apothercary is not described as a veteran (although I think this is a oversight by the author).

To quote the 'dex : A command squad consists of 1 apoth and 4 veterans. Any veteran may exchange [his weapons] for[list of items].

Thus the apoth gets no weaponry choices other than the basic trade off.
    Last edited by Trench Rat; October 6th, 2008 at 17:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Righto, I must have glossed over that. Thanks for the clarification.

Another thing, a Sergeant can be given a combi-weapon, so he could potentially have 3 special weapons in 1 shooting phase from the old codex. However the combi-weapon is a one-shot wonder.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah sadly its the 4th edition rules all over again. In 4th edition one marine couldn't get to pick from the main wargear list, while the apoth and the rest of the squad ran around with power weapons and the like.

In 5th edition its the same scenario but the apoth is the one in the shed. At least the apoth is covered by the transport options!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou for the replies everyone. I will be sure to check his army list and ask him to show me the codex next game.

I appreciate all your support.

ainom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is possible that that was a sternguard vet squad. This is the only squad with the possibilty of firing 3 special weapon a turn in the marine army since any model can take combi-weapons. But yeah, check with your opponent on his army list...

+ Reply to Thread