Librarium Online Forums banner

A codex like all the others...

750 views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Wolf Lord Herby 
#1 ·
Well i have had my codex now for 4 days. And already the pages are coming out of their binding. Same as a lot of codex i see people have these days. The store codex was broke within a few days. And i am very careful with all my codexes. They are all stored nicely at home, and only taken with my if i go to the store, or want to make a list. I think the binding company they use must be garbage.

So i will be exchanging it for a new one on saturday. And then if that one breaks, i will return it. And so...and so on... you get it. Untill i just ask the manager to get it bound for me in some way.

So, has anyone else had this problem yet? Or already anyway...

All input would be nice

Nox

#4 ·
Wow, really?

I've never seen a GW book come apart. Not mine, not other players, not the GW store copies that get handled all day, every day. Even my GW's store copy of the 4th edition rulebook was in decent shape when they retired it now that 5th edition is out, and I'm almost positive that book is the original one they had out in the store from day one.

#5 ·
Never happened to me. Corners may have been scuffed over years but pages have never fallen out. I suspect the adhesive is deteriorating somehow. Do you live in a hot climate or store your codex somewhere that gets a lot of sun? Are you dating a Sister of Battle? Is your brother a Salamander?

#7 ·
the space marine book is simply too thick for the cheap binding they usually use in their books.

solution: take it to kinko's.

for roughly 5 dollars they'll rebind the book with those spiral notebook spine things in it... don't really know what it's called but bam, problem solved. added benefit, you can just have the book rolled and folded to the page you want without actually damaging the pages.
you can get some pages laminated but that costs a lot more, so at most i'd just say the front and rear cover for transit and storage.

#8 ·
This has happened to me with every book I've bought since the Dwarf armybbok, and seems to be common around both the Richmond an Washington DC areas. I've just come to expect bad quality after my High Elf book fell apart in 3 days. A big section in the middle just fell out when I was trying to explain Dragon Mages to a friend. Both my local GWs don't even do exchanges on them anymore, if they've fallen apart.

#10 ·
Well the pages havnt quite fallen completely out yet, but they are half way out up the binding. I like that kinkos idea, though im not sure if theres one around here. And if im paying 30 dollars for a codex it better not break so easily, and i shouldnt have to get it bound.

Are you dating a Sister of Battle? Is your brother a Salamander?
I WISH! hahaha sadly that is not the case.

The book is inside my girlfriends house all day, and she has the blinds closed. So no sun light, no heat.

EVERY book that my gqw store has is broken in some way. Maybe its the community that doesnt treat them nicely.

Thanks for the input guys,
Nox

#12 ·
It does if you know a bit about book binding. Perhaps armybooks and codexes are printed in different countries. I say this because i haven't really had this problem occur very often.

#13 ·
Every book I have bought all these years... hasn't lost a page...

(Ok only one because I had to note something and I didn't had paper with me!)

#14 ·
My 3rd edition rulebook front and back fell off after much abuse.
no codex has ever left me down so far.. I hope it will stay that way

#15 ·
My Dark Elves book and my SM book are both okay for now, but I can see where they might come apart if I'm not careful. I've seen too many "store copy" codexes and army books fall apart recently so I'm kind of watching out for it happening with mine.

GS

#16 ·
I have over 20 codices and army books and it has happened to me on a couple of them. Mainly the ones I let my friends use though (I'm basically my own games workshop to my friends)

The Tau codex, the old space marine one and the apocalypse book all had a couple pages fall out but that was after the were all heavily used and borrowed (except the apoc one, it was only moderately used) so I don't think its too bad.

#17 ·
Out of all the books and mags I've bought from GW, the only ones that fell apart were a couple of the first WD's I got, my 3rd gen rulebook and my first SW Codex. And that was because I was young, and didn't look after them.

And the Space Wolf Codex is old-fashioned and side-stitched (I think that's the term, basically stapled as opposed to properly bound), so it has an excuse for falling apart.

I think they must bind Codices differently in the States. I blame Quantum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.