Starting with Blood Angels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting with Blood Angels

Hello, I lucked into the starts of a Space Marine army when one of my friends decided to quit playing 40k. He had them all put together but not painted. So I looked around and liked the story/paint scheme behind the Blood Angels, and have painted most of them that way already.

I'm new to tabletop gaming though and would rather ask some advice then just go blow money on shiney stuff. I hear that the Blood Angels are a real melee/close combat focused force, where would you guys go with this army to get to about 1500 points? I'd just want a learning army to go play against people at the local gaming shop, I don't have to have the ultimate powergaming force, I'd at least like to have some cool looking stuff like the Bhaal Predator.

So far I've got:

7 man Space Marine Tactical squad w/ a sgt(chainsword and bolt pistol), flamer, and
    rocket launcher
    7 man Space Marine Tactical squad w/ a sgt(chainsword and bolt pistol), and rocket
    launcher
    5 man Terminator squad w/ one model has a cyclone missile launcher, another has an
    assault cannon and a power fist, a third has a chainfist and a heavy flamer, another
    has an assault cannon and a chain fist, and the last onejust has the sgt sword and
    bolt pistol (I'm not sure if I can use these this way, but the models look cool like
    this)
    1 Land Speeder w/ multi-melta
    1 Librarian with power sword and bolt pistol.

Any advice on where to go from here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, technically, you have 2 5-man Tac Squads (since Blood Angels have combat squads and can either take 5 or 10 models) a five man Termie Squad (gotta check on weapon loadout, Libby (forceweapon and pistol are free, and forceweapon is better) and a speeder.

That leaves you with 4 tac marines. I would buy a tac squad box, some more termies to make a 10-man (and have bits incase you have to remove an arm or two for a full squad) and a terminator commander. Also a couple of squads of assault marines wont hurt at all.

AND if you want a copy of the 'new' BA codex, i have it on my pc and can send it to you if you like, let me know in a private message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I take it the Bhaal predator I mentioned before wouldn't hurt either. ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OH HELL NO

I used 2 Baal Predators with great effect, and i used the overcharged engines religiously to run behind terrain until i got into range of the enemy, and even hid them into terrain to use hull down (dont know if you can still do that in new edition)

My army was 2 full tac squads, a devestator squad, 2 baal, full Death squad with chappy and jump packs, 3 veteran assault squads, 2 troop assult squads, and a jump captain with honour guard all with jump.

One thing you are gonna need to utilize is speed. Blood Angels have it, and you should use it where you can, tis one of their greatest advantages on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget 2-3 Attack Bikes with multi-melta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games Workshop

the new location of the blood angel codex you can download it for free
    blood angels 5000 pts
    imperial guard 500 pts
    orks 1000 pts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    7 man Space Marine Tactical squad w/ a sgt(chainsword and bolt pistol), flamer, and
    rocket launcher
    7 man Space Marine Tactical squad w/ a sgt(chainsword and bolt pistol), and rocket
    launcher.
    Get 6 more tactical marines and make these 10 man squads. You can break them into 2 man squads after that, or keep them whole. GREAT tactical flexibility.

5 man Terminator squad w/ one model has a cyclone missile launcher, another has an
    assault cannon and a power fist, a third has a chainfist and a heavy flamer, another
    has an assault cannon and a chain fist, and the last onejust has the sgt sword and
    bolt pistol (I'm not sure if I can use these this way, but the models look cool like
    this)
    With a 5 -man squad you can have ONE of the following. Either a cyclone ML, OR a heavy flamer OR an assault cannon. I personally don't like terminators, but many people swear by them. I think they are too expensive for what they do (which is mainly attract a lot of fire.)

1 Land Speeder w/ multi-melta
    This is an excellent unit.

1 Librarian with power sword and bolt pistol.
    I don't really care for the Blood Angels Librarians UNLESS you get MEPHISTON. That guy is harder than woodpecker lips!!! He tears everything up! The downside is costs a lot of points.

Other things to consider: The Veteran Assault Squad used to be the best unit in the army. Now they no longer count as scoring. Don't spend too many points on them. Get yourself from 10 to 20 assault marines. I recommend giving each sergeant a power fist. These 20 should be two 10-man squads, but if you make multiple 5-man squads you could get more sergeants then maybe do 2 power fists and 2 power weapons. These are troops and they will be your Bread and Butter, and will do very well if you support them with your tactical squads. Tactical squads are troops too, by the way, and therefore are also scoring units.
    For anti-tank I love the attack bike with multi-melta.
    Must haves include the assault squad troops and DEATH COMPANY with a chaplain. Dante is really nice too!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rollo, that IS the codex I have, and I've now at least chacked to make sure that I am up to date. I was having more of a problem with making sense of the information there than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEmperor! View Post
    Get 6 more tactical marines and make these 10 man squads. You can break them into 2 man squads after that, or keep them whole. GREAT tactical flexibility.
    My local shop has 3-packs of marines for pretty cheap, I'll do this.

With a 5 -man squad you can have ONE of the following. Either a cyclone ML, OR a heavy flamer OR an assault cannon. I personally don't like terminators, but many people swear by them. I think they are too expensive for what they do (which is mainly attract a lot of fire.)
    I was pretty sure that's what the book was saying, just didn't want to believe it till I had a confirmation from someone else. /sigh more work on the terminators then. I guess I'm going to have to have fun with magnets on one of the Terminators until I figure out which weapon I like the best. Anyone have 3 spare terminator right arms with bolt pistols? I'm gonna need some of those to fix these guys ><

As far as what they do (drawing fire). . . . doesn't something need to draw fire? I mean if I can use them as at least a distraction while I flank or manuver with other units it seems like they'd be worth something.

I don't really care for the Blood Angels Librarians UNLESS you get MEPHISTON. That guy is harder than woodpecker lips!!! He tears everything up! The downside is costs a lot of points.
    Since starting this thread it's looked more and more like I should invest in a Chaplain to associate with some Death Company(on jump packs) and a commander with an honor guard (also on jump packs). On that note, does the standard space marine commander unit come with a jump pack in the box? If not is there an extra in the assault squad pack? Do you just have to get Dante to have the jump pack on a commander?

Get yourself from 10 to 20 assault marines. I recommend giving each sergeant a power fist. These 20 should be two 10-man squads, but if you make multiple 5-man squads you could get more sergeants then maybe do 2 power fists and 2 power weapons.
    This was also looking like the way I need to go, assault troops and jump packs whereever I can have em.

Again, thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised no one mentioned Chaplain Lemartes! He's the man hands down, especially in lower point games. Plus he's only 5 pts more than a regular jump pack chaplain only with better stats and war gear! In more standard point levels (1,750/1,850 ) I've been trying out a combination of Corbulo and Dante and I gotta say it makes for a very brutal tag team.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

For Sanguines and the Emperor!
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That IS cool...and only $2 more ^^

+ Reply to Thread