Ist Vs Gk As Troop Choices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't decide between taking IST as mandatroy troop choices or filling those slots with GK. Want to hear from poeple who do it either way. Let me hear your experiences so I can get some persepective before I go out and buy the models.

Evil Homer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it all depends really, what are you after?

Obvioiusly, PAGK's are the "bees-knees" in close combat. whilst the IST's can have some nice shooty weapons.

What i would usually do is take IST's as mandatory troop choices (most of the time mounting them in a rhino or chimera) this makes them good at tank hunting, as they can get straight out there.

The beauty of choosing IST's as your mandatory troop chioces is that any PAGK troops you take can be teleport attack squads.

If you're facing a shooty enemy thats not gonna come in close, its not much use having a squad of grey knights starting in your deployment zone and having to foot slog all the way to close combat, (where they're of most use) so i'd go for IST's as troops.

If you're facing an assaulty enemy, you'll probably benefit from havin grey knights with you initial force to fend off any early assaulting squads, and defend any shooty squads you may have (purgation squads, shooty inquisitor etc)

Basically, i find it more effective to have transport mounted stormtroopers as my mandatory troop choices, with teleport squads after that. This ensures that you've got a mobile army capable of charging/teleporting right into where they'll be most useful.

Hope that helps,

Daz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

indded, mobility is the key

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Grey Knights only really serve one purpose as troops choices in my experiences: 2x psycannons, and sitting around shooting anything that comes near my Inquisitor/Dreadnought firebases. But you can do that just as easily with a Purgation squad (instead of the commonly used Justicar + 4 psycannon GK, toss a handful more of normal GK into that squad, it'll destroy anything that comes near it, but is most effective when not moving).

I like IST's as troop choices, with 2-3 PAGK as fast attack.

I toss TP Homer's on the IST Vets, give them some combination of melta and plasma weapons, and if I can afford it, rhinos to get them where they need to be. The enemy tends to focus on taking out Dreadnoughts and Inquisitors that you leave back in the deployment zone instead of the "weak" IST's, thinking they'll be able to handle the stormtroopers in CC. Then the TP Homers do their job...

When I have the points, I've tried bulking out my IST Vet's. Power Armor, Thunder-hammer, the works. This works the best when they're in a transport, so the enemy can't see the threat. Then, when the enemy pops the rhino, they've got a nasty suprise that requires them to chew through the rest of the unit before removing.

Also, if you consider the fluff, no GK should start the game on the table. They teleport into the thick of the fighting to capture an objective or remove a daemon. So having a force of Inquisitor + multiple IST units on the table to start with makes more sense. TP Homers on everyone, and they call down the GK when the going gets tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what I am looking at is an 1850pt army as that is whats played alot where I live. I drew up a pure GK list and was pretty happy with it except its just not enough troops. The death marches will just tear me up. Alot of the people around here play shooty armies and in order to make best use of my GK they have to slog all the way across the board. Its tough.

When you take the IST do you really tool them up? I mean take the power armor or terminator suit for the Vet along with anything else that might come in handy or are they just cheap troops? Two melta's? Two Plasma? One each? Rhino's or Chimera?

Evil Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Regardless of what I'm doing with IST's, I *always* give them two special weapons. Usually 1 plasma and 1 meltagun. That way, they've got a kick beyond hellguns (flashlights on steroids, thats all those are), and a backup in case of bad overheat rolls.

I usually don't take Vet's unless I have a specific mission for them, as they cost twice as much as a normal IST without anything special included.

For job's, though, I tool them up a lot:

TP Homer: Rhino, Vet with Homer & power armor (I don't want this guy picked off by snipers&#33, 1 plasma & 1 melta. If you also give the Vet a combi-weapon, the squad is a useful light-armor hunting unit after they use their TP Homer.

Firebase: Chimera (little longer lasting if you point it the right way, plus it mows down infantry under the new rules), Vet with combi-plasma, 2x plasma guns, full squad. Drive 'em around and shoot things This works well with a 8 man unit, a vet, and an Inquisitor with psycannon that you join up with them.

Anti-Armor: Rhino or Chimera, Vet with combi-melta, krak & meltabombs, 2x meltaguns, krak grenades, full squad.

Anti-Infantry: Chimera (under the new rules&#33 with heavy bolter turret, heavy bolter sponsons, Vet with power armor, power weapon, & bolter (for when the transport get's popped), 1x plasmagun, 1x flamer, full squad. Do drive-by shootings (be sure to end the turn facing the transport the right way for the armor&#33, and when the transport is popped you've got some nasty suprises that'll let you tear up less CC-oriented troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes the chimera so effective in the new rules?
    (Got one, but never use it cause of the s**t ballistic skill)

Is it really worth the extra points?

=][= Jax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly use the IST for that because if you put your GKs in a rino then they get shot up because evyone is scared to death of them. but if you teleport the GK then your opponent is worrying about that which lets you run up chimeras and shoot a lot of hellguns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GKs in Rhino? What rules do you play Helsiki007??
    They can't take transports - read the codex.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

the chimera can mount heavy weapons and the troops in side can use the hellguns mounted on top and can act as a light tank after its droped of its men

the rhino is a cheeper option but does not have the nice shooty punch of the chimera and is rather useless after its droped of its men

to be honest i dont like the GK's too much im starting my radicals soon but strorm troopers can cause mojor damage and they are nice and cheep and if you induct gaurdsmen you can realy do damage

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast