Hey new too WH40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey new too WH40k

Hey, a friend of mine got me into a game of WH40K awhile ago. So iv finnaly decided to get into it. My mate had a spair box of Space Marines they look totally badass so i think ill go with them.

So with the Space Marines there a pretty small elite force right, i dont want massed armys. Also lotsa items and shit.

Also i read about there being different chapters whats the go there, also ill be able to have my hands on the brand new codex soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aweome and good luck!

That codex is going to be about the most important thing you'll need to start with as I'm sure you've realised after a little time looking around here. It's got half the rules you need to play the game (the rule book covering ther other half )

Space Marine Chapters! Well basicly they are all independant fighting forces, each made up of around a 1000 marines. They all have their own colour schemes, styles, iconography, characters etc. There are supposed to be about a 1000 of them making 1,000,000 marines in the galaxy. Games Workshop have detailed a few of them and created images for more, that still leaves hundreds free for people to design themselves. It means that you can either follow one of the prescribed colour schemes and have a little more support or make your own chapter to your own liking (often refered to as DIY chapters).

Well, thats a bit to start with, I'm sure many of the smarter and more elequent folk here can help you further. You've picked a great game and a great site to discuss it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

First off, welcome!

Secondly, try to type a little neater, and no swearing!

Now that that's out of the way: SM's are pretty hardcore. They have loads of choice in what to field and they are all rock hard on the table top.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Hey! Welcome to 40K and LO!

Glad to see you’re so enthusiastic about getting into the game.
    Indeed, getting the codex will be your first and biggest step. It's a little overwhelming at first, but you'll quickly find it becomes your personal bible.

When it comes to choosing a chapter, there is one place you should check out first, and that’s this link here!. <E!_Mance> did a great job in explaining the differences in chapters, so this should help you choose where to go with your marines!

We are always here to help out with questions and stuff, however please abide by the forum rules that can be found here.

Good luck with the army mate, I hope you get some good games in =)

Out of curiosity, what army does your friend collect?

Cheers

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secondly, try to type a little neater, and no swearing!
    Ah yes, sorry about that. My friend has a few armies (he has been doing it for awhile), the 40K armies he has are SpaceMarines (Iv heard everyone has a force of these guys lol)/Imperial Gaurd (cool guys with lotsa artillery)/Tyranids - A few aye lol.

Im actually looking forward too assembly a small force. At the GW near me they play allota different scenarios, one day the shop was packed all the tables joined for this one big battle it took most of the day too play lol.

So i have a ten man squad (my mate gladly donated it ), A cool guy with a sword/flamer guy/rocket launcher guy and other dudes with cool rifle things.
    We played some small games of hold and control, that has to be my fav scenario sofar. Its so funny when you snatch the objective from your enemy by shear luck.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

welcome to 40K!

first of all: WELCOME to 40K!

so you decided to go with Space Marines?
    good choice! not because they are so hard or cool but because space marines are the best army to a beginner.
    why? well first you do not need to be the most brilliant strategist like eldar players, you can mess up a few strategic choices and the space marines will forgive you. (ie, you do not immediatly lose the battle)
    second, they do not have that many rules, sure they have alot but basicly all have the same profile,
    third, they're pretty easy to paint! they all have the cool power armour wich is FAR easier to paint then flesh,

now to you upstarting chapter,
    like the other's said, you can decide to play an existing chapter or create one yourself!
    it depends mostly on your playing style but you will find out later.
    when you need help on deciding wich chapter you can always send me a PM, (i'm the lead introducer in my local gaming club to new folks so i now how to help)

good luck with 40K!
    (you do not need luck in 40K, just lots of DAKKA DAKKA!!!)
    (sorry, just started an ork army)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a play style, I dont want to just stand there and shoot/bombard my enemies. I want a mix of both, I love the look of the dreadnaughts/predators/also the jump-pack marines. So maybe a kinda balanced force, I think ill just make my own chapter, well i havent got the codex just yet so we will see.

Also would it be a good idea to buy the WH40K starter set theres some cool SpaceMarines in there plus you get the rule book and some orcs. Hmm actually i would have a small force with that

EDIT:Iv been reading up on the chapters here are the chapters im interested in thusfar.
    -Dark Angels - I love the green and they can use all the units i want too use.
    -Ultramarines - There pretty cool and i kinda already painted a Squad Leader the Ultra colors lol
    Also iv been looking into the Witch Hunters there a very interesting army
    Last edited by emino; October 17th, 2008 at 12:00.

+ Reply to Thread