Newbie Codex Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Codex Question

Hello all!! I am brand new to the forum and relatively new to 40k. I inherited a bunch of Space Marines and rules from a friend of mine. I had a codex newbie questions I need your expert advice on answering.

I have the 5th edition rules but I believe that the Codex is last edition. Can I play the game with this codex until I buy a updated one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

There was recently a new marine codex released this year so check the front cover to see if it says copyright 2008 or if it is copyright 2004. If it is 2008 then you have the new one, if not get your but down to your local GW shop or independent retailer.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the new one has an ultramarine blasting a chaos space marine through the chest on front, the old one has a big guy with huge hands holding a bug head with other marines around him and lots of bugs

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

To answer the question, in a friendly game, as long as your opponent consents you can use the former codex, however typically players will expect you to be using the most recent version of your codex. I would recommend getting it ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    To answer the question, in a friendly game, as long as your opponent consents you can use the former codex, however typically players will expect you to be using the most recent version of your codex. I would recommend getting it ASAP.

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to play a few games before I went and commited myself with an actual purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

They have the boxed set with Codex: Space Marines, Drop Pod, three Scout Bikes, five Sternguard Veterans, five Vanguard Veterans, Thunderfire Cannon, Sergeant Telion, Sergeant Chronus, Pedro Kantor, and Captain Sicarius. $244.

Its all the new stuff you probably don't have too.
    Last edited by darby5; October 18th, 2008 at 17:08. Reason: Addem

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darby5 View Post
    They have the boxed set with Codex: Space Marines, Drop Pod, three Scout Bikes, five Sternguard Veterans, five Vanguard Veterans, Thunderfire Cannon, Sergeant Telion, Sergeant Chronus, Pedro Kantor, and Captain Sicarius. $244.

Its all the new stuff you probably don't have too.
    For the price, you're also not getting anything particularly useful to add to the army. For example, I would only use the codex, drop pod, and potentially the Vanguard/Sternguard veterans. That's a total of 11 models and a codex used out of $244 worth of stuff. Really not worth it unless you just want all of what comes in it.

+ Reply to Thread