Tactical squad options need help clarifying - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical squad options need help clarifying

As i read it you cant change anything in a tactical squad unless its a 10 man squad (bar the sergants gear)

Is this right or can smaller units buy Special weapons

My thinking is u need to be a 10 man squad but can split it down. if this is right can u choose 2 transports for one squad ie

10x Tactical Marines - Serg + Power Sword
    - Flamer
    - Missile Launcher

Combat Squad A in Razor Back
    Combat Squad B in Razor Back

xxx pts?

Am i correct in my assumptions or is this as clear as mud?

Regards
    Moskov

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

They may only take special and heavy weapons if they number 10 guys. They may only select one transport, a Rozorback or Rhino or, if they have 10 guys, a drop pod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking over the army list entry:
    Special weapons: requires 10 men
    Heavy Weapons: requires 10 men
    Sergeant upgrades: any number of marines
    Rhino/Razorback: any number of marines
    Drop Pod: 10 marines

That seems about right, so you can simply take a squad of 5/6 marines, give the sergeant upgrades, and stick them all in a Razorback or Rhino.

On the other hand, I'm sure you've seen the fairly popular option of taking 10 men, bringing special/heavy weapons, leaving the heavy weapons set up somewhere and mounting the other 5 marines with the special weapon (and possibly sergeant with a kickass CCW) in a rhino or razorback.
    Iron Swords 3rd Company - We are the swords which reap the bodies of our foes.

Train of thought will be terminating at.. edible murder weapons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, as cool as the Combat Squads rule is, that whole 'minimum 10 models for special weapons/heavy weapons' pissed me off so ****ing much. I had a gorgeously painted 1st Company to my Chapter and it contained 3 tactical squads, each containing only 6 models BUT including both a special weapon and heavy weapon. Sure they were bait for unit kill points, but I was in it for the look. I'd painted their squad numbers on their helmets as well as backbacks (as non-helmeted characters need squad ID too...) and it looked sharp.. The company numbered exactly 100 marines (including the vehicle crews) So now to field those 3 squads, i'd have to add 12 normal boltgun toting marines... The Chapter Master, General Hillius does not enjoy having non-codex companies running amok with over 100 marines.

To me, clearly the change was for balance to make purchasing both weapons more costly to an army (who could once do so with only 5 models, but must now purchase 10 ), as well as to force people into using the combat squad rule (which I had very little intention of using)... but part of me suspects that the additional purchases of pastic tactical squads was not a detterent in the decision making.... which I dislike. I've spent more than my fair share on wh40k and now i'm being made to buy more....

any comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i agree that the new rules do support gw's push for you to buy more marines as well as transports since now they can't be deystroyed off glancing hits and by making you take te combat squad rule but to get all the goddies you have to shell out for the extra manpower.

So it was a balncing act though now beacuse of those rules i'm tempted to avoid deploying my dev squad(not so much yet but i feel i'm not taking them as often as i used to) for different Combat squads with a heavy weapon. Divided scoring units and you can't drop an ordanace blast on them killing them all(screw hell hounds) divides opponets fire as you pick off the bolter marines first.

So yea it sucks but we're space marines we don't complain!(often that is. Adamintine mantel no longer availble ,means a standarded Chapter masters can be instant killed, F*@#ing BS!!!!)
    Who is to judge what and what is wrong? In these days we cannot afford the luxury of mortality. - Saint Aqueis

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Aren't vehicles in a chapter excluded from the company numbers? isn't it 10 companies of 100 marines each and then the vehicle armory with their appropriate crews being separate from it all?

But aye GW is pushing towards more troops which means more money for them but in my opinion also means more balanced and more realistic armies.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadLarkin View Post
    Aren't vehicles in a chapter excluded from the company numbers? isn't it 10 companies of 100 marines each and then the vehicle armory with their appropriate crews being separate from it all?
    Yeah, you are right. In my chapter though, each company is configured to deal with specific operations and dispatched into seperate areas of the empirium. They must be self-reliant as calling in reinforcements is scarcely an option. There is no armoury. Each company also contains dedicated veterans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

The fact that they can be split into combat squads means there is little difference.

Old codex: One squad of 5 marines with lascannon and plasma gun. One squad of marines with bolters. Two troops choices.
    New codex: One combat squad of 5 marines with lascannon and plasma gun, and one combat squad of marines just with bolters. One troops choice.

Old codex: Maximum 6 troops choices, six scoring units, six heavy weapons, six special weapons.
    New codex: Maximum 6 troops choices, twelve scoring units, six heavy weapons, six special weapons.

Old codex: 10 marines with veteran sergeant, missile launcher, flamer, frag and krak grenades = 211
    New codex: 10 marines with veteran sergeant, missile launcher, flamer, frag and krak grenades = 170

The new codex tactical squad beats the old codex tactical squad with a hammer so big that MC Hammer himself would be saying 'you can't touch this'.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    The new codex tactical squad beats the old codex tactical squad with a hammer so big that MC Hammer himself would be saying 'you can't touch this'.
    lol...

as funny and informative as that was, you missed my point, i WANTED small units to have more special weapons. it's not often i'd be playing a game where i fielded 6 troop choices anyway. so to have my 3 6 man tactical squads with 3 heavy weapons and 3 special weapons without paying for the additional 12 models was fine by me.

Old codex: 6 marines with veteran sgt, missile launcher, flamer, frag and krak grenades = 139... that's good enough for this tabletop general
    Last edited by General_Hillius; October 30th, 2008 at 20:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast