My Fellow Battle Brothers! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Fellow Battle Brothers!

My fellow Battle Brothers I seek your aid!
    A Space Marine is the Paragon example of a man, but alone he is still a wrecked corpse against the massive assortment of vile enemies we face.
    I have recruited many.
    However, i seek the wisdom of the Librarium to help my young chapter stand strong and spread the the Emperor's creed.

I am building an army with tournament play in mind.
    I am hoping that my brothers can assist me by sharing from experience where to grow from here.
    I am open to all suggestions and am eager to discuss strategies.
    However, I think we can all benefit if we compliment our suggestions with our logic for them.

I have gathered this:

10 tactical w/ Plasma cannon, plasma gun( havn't decided on Sergeant's gear)
    10 tactical w/ Plasma cannon, plasma gun( same as above)
    10 Scout w/ 4 sniper, missle launcher, 3 c.c.w. & bolt pistol, 2 shotgun( split in two) considering including a counts as telion if the points are there he would replace a sniper.

5 assualt ( have no idea where to go with this one) or drop for a terminator squad for my Chaplain to lead.

1 Dreadnought ( not sure of type to go with) thinking Ironclad

5 devastator w/ 4 missle launcher ( not sure where to go with the sergeant, gear wise)sounds like 5 more men is good idea.
    1 Predator ( conflicted on what to take, honestly)thinking a set of lascannons may be neccesary.

1 Captain ( counts as Sicarus) thinking of using infiltrate on a tac. squad supported by the dropping dreadnought and scouts for a strong early area hold.
    5 command ( thinking of running them with meltaguns in the a razorback)charge em hard at anything heavy and blow it to hell!
    1 Librarian ( open to suggestions on this guy)
    or
    1 Chaplain w/ terminator armor & storm bolter
    transports:
    1 drop pod ( death wind launcher, dropping the Dreadnought?)
    1 razorback ( unsure of armament)
    thinking a the heavy bolters could be good enough and may give a shock value to the meltagun toting command squad inside.

Target points total:1850 goal: All Comers

Last edited by OniBane; October 20th, 2008 at 19:22.
    "All of the tainted shall fall before me".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps i wasn't clear and i am sorry for that. i am looking for discussion on space marine army design and tactics. i am not looking for someone to build it for me. i am not incompetent and can READ my codex just fine. ( sorry to all those who can't)

for example what would, have, or could you do with any of these units?
    war stories people come on!
    it will be fun i promise!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I shall accept your challenge, brother!

(Sorry, been watching too much Iron Chef America)

Quote Originally Posted by OniBane View Post
    Not too shabby. A Dark Angels player I know uses a couple of these broken into combat squads to vex my Necrons.

10 Scout w/ 4 sniper, missle launcher, 3 c.c.w. & bolt pistol, 2 shotgun( split in two)
    Good set-up. Infiltrate these guys near an objective, and run in with the cc squad asap. Use the other half for targets of opportunity and fire support.

5 assualt ( have no idea where to go with this one)
    It will go nowhere that small. I know the model box set only includes five, but you gotta splurge and make this squad a full 10 guys. Give the sergeant a power weapon or power fist.

5 devastator w/ 4 missle launcher ( not sure where to go with the sergeant, gear wise)
    I wouldn't give him any gear at all. Maybe even make it a 10-man squad and use half to be a firebase/meat shield/counter-charge unit.

1 Predator ( conflicted on what to take, honestly)
    Depends on the composition of the rest of your army. You're not heavy on anti-tank so far, and if you go past the 1,500-point level, this will become a problem. Maybe start with a twin-linked lascannon, or even lascannons all around, but with the latter configuration, you'll want to find a spot to park it in on turn one, otherwise you'll be wasting points on guns.

1 Captain ( counts as Sicarus)
    I don't know this character well enough to know how he works. I defer to more knowledgeable minds on this.

5 command ( thinking of running them with meltaguns in the a razorback)
    Not a bad way to boost your anti-tank ability.

or
    You have no other terminators listed here, so I'm inclined to say no terminator armour on your HQ. He'd need a squad of termies to go with, or it's not worth it.

1 drop pod ( deathwind launcher, dropping the Dreadnought?)
    Highly recommended.

Again, it depends, but I'm thinking if you're running an anti-tank unit inside, run it with heavy bolter.

Good luck!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Gah, that font makes ==My== head hurt

A solid firebase, I'd give the Sgt a powerfist in case you get stuck in assault. A Rhino wouldn't hurt either.

10 Scout w/ 4 sniper, missle launcher, 3 c.c.w. & bolt pistol, 2 shotgun( split in two)
    5 man combat teams are not so useful unless you mount them in a Land Speeder Storm. At least give the Sgt melta bombs so you can go after tanks.

5 assualt ( have no idea where to go with this one)
    You'll need to beef them up to 10 with a PF and maybe 2 flamers or don't bother.

1 Dreadnought ( not sure of type to go with)
    Good, I like the Ironclad for Drop Podding.

5 devastator w/ 4 missle launcher ( not sure where to go with the sergeant, gear wise)
    Keep the Sergeant naked, but add 5 marines to the squad. It gives you more bodies to lose before losing heavy weapons and allows you to combat squad for more flexibility.

1 Predator ( conflicted on what to take, honestly)
    I like the Destructor for its low cost and versatility.

1 Captain ( counts as Sicarus)
    Really good for a flexible infantry force. I'd take another Tac Squad configured for anti-tank to benefit from his rules.

Good, just don't forget a powerfist.

or
    With no other termies the Chappy makes little sense, go for the Libby. Null Zone, Force Shield, Vortex, and even smite would be useful. A jump packing Chaplain would probably work best.

transports:
    1 drop pod ( deathwind launcher, dropping the Dreadnought?)
    DP would work well with the Dready, and a Razor is always a solid choice for a Command Squad (also good for Tacticals)

I'd get more Tacticals and transports/vehicles to provide more scoring units and armor for the enemy to punch through. Everything else looks solid though.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, i could drop the assault squad and drop some points on a terminator squad joined by the chaplain.
    the legions look like they could be interesting as well.

thanks for the responses so far, another thing to note is that these are all under construction and i am fully able to pull or add at this point.
    i do plan on eventually having all options available for pick up games. i am building the 2nd or 3rd company of my created codex chapter so i will have 6 full tactical squads 2 devastators and 2 assault troops.
    i am converting my, counts as Sicarius, captain now.

basically what i am getting at is i am open to ALL suggestions and am more curious to hear your logic behind them. thanks guys
    Last edited by OniBane; October 20th, 2008 at 19:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post

Quote:

Good, just don't forget a powerfist.

Who would you give the PF to? Are you saying to give the Captain one or the Veteran? (I have an unassembled Command Squad on my desk!)

And for both my benefit and the OP's, why do so many people stick a Plasma gun on the vet in the Command Squad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Always give your PF to a member of the squad, that way he cannot be picked out and will likely get his chance to attack. ICs also tend to have higher I than normal troops and using a PF wastes it. A simple power weapon works fine, LCs or Relic Blade if you want to do more damage.

Plasma Guns tend to appear in Command Squads due to the benefit from FNP. Thanks to the Apothecary, your plasma gun will not overheat and get the marine killed with any degree of regularity. 1/6 to overheat, 1/3 to fail a save, and 1/2 for FNP gives him a 1/36 chance of dying. I actually prefer lots of flamers, but I'm a pyro at heart so that may be why
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread