special weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: special weapons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

special weapons

Am I reading the codex correctly, when it says that I need to have 10 models in a troops choice before I can even get a special weapon? What is up with that? I can understand to get a heavy weapon, but 10 men for a special weapon? Does it even make sense to go that high with tactical squads? Even though you can break them down into combat squads, I liked the 8 man squad with special weapons.

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 Man tactical squad, with a flamer and missle launcher for free. Give them a Razorback with a Heavy Flamer on it, and put 4 Marines and the Flamer Marine in it.

The 5 in the Razorback charge up close and flame a big squad, Razorback giving them a little assistance. If you have the points you can toss a powerfist into the Flamer group to make them think twice about charging.

The 5 with the missle launcher stay back and blast stuff. Enough said.

Personaly I think it is a bit limiting (As are alot of things in the codex, I must say) but it seems balanced and its definetly viable to run them either as two 5-man or one 10-man.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Yeah, you're reading that right. It's one of the only bits of the new codex that really rankles with me. I was always a fan of 6-man tac squads with only a special weapon. They can jump in a razorback and act as a mobile reserve. Sadly, no longer.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 man

I can see why this rule was put into place, requiring 10 marines to get the benefit of specials and heavies.

Too often in 4th ed you would run into 6 troop choices all armed las/plas. LC's were much cheaper to a Tac squad than a dev. There isn't much you could do against it, as it is very cheap (point wise).

Considering all the grenades, pistols, etc, we now get for free, on top of the flamer and missile launcher, tac squads are well rounded choices. Forcing the 10 man rule turns them back to tactical , from Mini-devs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by honortor View Post
    Too often in 4th ed you would run into 6 troop choices all armed las/plas. LC's were much cheaper to a Tac squad than a dev. There isn't much you could do against it, as it is very cheap (point wise).
    i guess thats the reason they liked it so much eh? hehe ^^
    MEAT IS MURDER, And murder tastes pretty good! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

haha

I always ran 10 man tac squads, imagine the look on your opponents face: five 10 man tactical squads running around tearing up the battlefield.... lovely =) I think the combat squad rule sounds kinda nice, it makes them tactically flexible, so you never know what you will com across fighting Space Marines. And they can adapt if you give them a missle launcher =)

I am that i am not.
    "You sick tentacle fetishist puppy." - Ironweevil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I'm personally a fan of the 10man minimum, as it stops min-maxing and makes play less about winning and more fluffy and fun (which is why i play!)

The thing that does bug me though, is that you are forced to take just one special and just one heavy upgrade. Why could we not take 2 specials in place of that heavy? Using the 4th Ed. traits i ran around with two flamers/meltas in each tac squad and really dealt some damage, now i've had to change my use of tacticals to take into account the frigging heavy weapon, resulting in either 4 bolter-armed marines standing at the back not shooting, or one missile launcher only being used once or twice per game.

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same problem for me I really need not free heavy weapon. Power fist for free would be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by CleanRabbit View Post
    The thing that does bug me though, is that you are forced to take just one special and just one heavy upgrade. Why could we not take 2 specials in place of that heavy?
    that's a good question lemme think about that for a sec...
    Using the 4th Ed. traits i ran around with two flamers/meltas in each tac squad and really dealt some damage.
    oh yeah now I remember that's why.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked the original printing of the book and it originally was a 5 man squad got the flamer for free and a 10 man squad recieved the heavy weapon. This was changed before the mass printing. I wish they had kept it the same.

(When I say first printing I mean the pre-release one sent to hobby shops)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast