Command Squad Kit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Command Squad Kit

Hey all - I have a command squad sprue in front of me, and was wondering what the best all rounder options for those 2 extra vets in the squad are. I see a lot of 1 vet with just bolter, the other with a plasma gun - I am leaning towards 1 vet with the plasma gun, the other with powerfist/bolt pistol. Plasma pistols are looking very expensive ><. I have all the bits available to use any option described in the codex. What are your opinions - and more importantly, why is that so?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

When I take the Command Squad I usually take the two extra with bolters. The reason behind that is simple. In shooting, and given the fact you won't make the saves, you will have to remove models. I prefer to remove the bolter ones as the other are more important.

In the same situation I couldn't imagine what I would do if I had Standard Bearer, Apothecary, Company Champion, Captain, one SM with plasma and one with bolter and if I had to allocate 2 wounds I wouldn't know who I would remove...
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to gear my Command Squad (when I find the points to crowbar them in) geared for close combat, as I hate wasting the awesome WS and I of the commander himself. I'd most likely take at least one Meltagun just so I have a gun with decent punch to shoot with then charge in and hack things up, or be on tank-busting duty when needed. A powerfist would definitely be my option for one of the veterans, just in case I charge/get charged by one of those super-tough eldar/DE units.
    Iron Swords 3rd Company - We are the swords which reap the bodies of our foes.

Train of thought will be terminating at.. edible murder weapons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I agree with Tsele. It is nice to have some models to lose.

I was tempted to give one a storm shield just to put that lascannon (and like weapons) shot on someone aside from the leader (iron halo) or champion (combat shield).

I don't think the leader is protected in CC since he can leave the command squad so the enemy will probably focus all his attacks on him once in an assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I see the logic in assigning deadly wounds to expendable characters, but I am really considering fully kitting out my squad. When they get into CC, the extra points paid could really pay off, could they not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your desire to kit them out, as i have done so to mine. what i did was gave the 2 untitled members of the squad melta guns and i run them in a razorback for a unit that can pop any tank and get stuck in as quickly as possible. good for taking on transposts and charging their cargo afterword.
    "All of the tainted shall fall before me".

Mississauga/GTA - PM and lets set up a game!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I'm a fan of giving them all power weapons/fists and bikes. Longer range, extra toughness, good CC punch. If I've got extra points, I like the Storm Shield for the invuln.
    Dark Angels WIP (completed) | more pics
    Guess this explains why I like my Dark Eldar so much...

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

In a command squad I rarely run a standard bearer unless its 2k+ mainly because I find I usually don't need the reroll in smaller games and I rarely use the champion.

I normally run a flamer, a powerfist and a guy with 2x LC that leaves me with one bolt pistol/ccw marine and the apothecary. My line squads are usually the ones geared for shooting so my command squad is usually always assault oriented.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for all your replies guys. I think what I'll do is buy another tact squad, and use all my leftover parts (melta guns, plasma guns, heavy weapons, powerfists etc) on the entire squad (with a couple of bolters left over probably), thus creating a unit of reserve marines which I can switch into any squad as the mission/opponent requires - meaning I will deck this command squad out!

+ Reply to Thread