Librarium Online Forums banner

Best Tatic you know

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Grey nut 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm just wondering if you guys have some awsome tactic that makes people cry cheese when they realise it.(just to help me and others in games.)

#2 ·
Totally remove a whole squad

I like to totally remove my opponent's most forward unit on the first turn. Not just shoot at it, but totally remove it from play. I'll use every psycannon shot, every heavy weapon, everything I have and just completely unload. Because I normally play SM, this means taking out a tactical squad that was deployed too far forward. When playing Eldar, it's usually a Banshee squad or a squad of guardians that was accidentally deployed within range of my psycannons.

The psychological effect is huge. Most players see an entire unit go down and only see the destruction of what they thought was a survivable unit. They overlook the fact that you didn't touch the rest of their army. It really screws up their game for a turn or two.

This tactic will not work on horde or IG armies. They expect to loose whole units at a time. It also won't work on an optimistic, the-glass-is-half-full type of player. They will only look at the lost squad and say "well, at least I still have this other unit".

It works best on the fatalistic pessimist player - which WH40K seems to attract.

#3 ·
Inquisitor Lord + Sage + Plasma Cannon + Mystic.
I've taken out like 7 space marines from 1 shot of the plasmacannon once, and thats a free shot!
Ermm I can't think of much cheese in Daemonhunters funnily enough.

#4 ·
I have a tactic that is rather useful for a group of DCA or an eversore. you have them hide about 8 inches behind a corner, wait for a squad to go past the corner(normally they think that they will have you in LoS for that dev squad right behind the bait) After you charge the bait squad and eventually win consolidate back behind the corner.

Ermm I can't think of much cheese in Daemonhunters funnily enough.
Too true we have sadly no cheese. Most of the cheese you will find a daemonhunter uses will be able to be done by just about every other army in the game.

#6 ·
I think the only real cheese I can think of using DH is actually using them as the ally army.

3 Demolishers w/plas cannon sponons and Hull HBolter
1HQ Inq. with 3Mystics and Psychic hood
1Elite Inq. with 3Mystics Emperor's Tarot
2 Land raiders (transports for Inquisitors)
Grenadiers doctrine
2 Grenadiers units.

it's cheese. it's incredibly mean army that gets free shots at Deep Strikers. Free DEMOLISHER Shots at Deep Strikers.

#7 ·
I think the only real cheese I can think of using DH is actually using them as the ally army.

3 Demolishers w/plas cannon sponons and Hull HBolter
1HQ Inq. with 3Mystics and Psychic hood
1Elite Inq. with 3Mystics Emperor's Tarot
2 Land raiders (transports for Inquisitors)
Grenadiers doctrine
2 Grenadiers units.

it's cheese. it's incredibly mean army that gets free shots at Deep Strikers. Free DEMOLISHER Shots at Deep Strikers.
It's not really, people will just DS somewhere else.

#8 ·
You can make tyranid players cry with your grandmaster. Especially if the player insists that your storm shields aren't 3+ invuln and your assault cannons aren't rending or heavy 4, then you pull the remove-from-play force weapons to kill hive tyrants, carnifexes, and whatever else you want in single hits!

#9 ·
I'd unfortunately like to say a pure daemonhunters, in particular Grey Knights have some cheese tactics, but the closest I can think of is the standard move and shoot away from assaulty units, which may get you called out for being a coward.

Allied on the other hand can result in some moderate cheese, particularly the aforementioned Leman Russ/Land Raider spam, in conjunction with a drop troop army laden with plasma, melta and demo charges can be particularly nasty. Throw in some Terminators and you've got yourself some Cheddar.

Some folks may call the PAGK spam cheese, after all you're plunking down 50 or so PAGK, which may outnumber some Space Marine armies. This'll usually come from players that have little experience with Grey Knights (All they've probably heard is how badass a Grey Knight is in comparison to a Space Marine) It's unfortunate, as this is the most competitive way to play them after all.

Other players who are more experienced with Grey Knights will probably understand though.

#10 ·
I dunno if this would work but you could have a GM+retinue of 1 Terminator and then go into assault, then only take out the Retinue before the GM can take hits, taking all the hits on the retinue. Then use holocaust

#11 ·
I dunno if this would work but you could have a GM+retinue of 1 Terminator and then go into assault, then only take out the Retinue before the GM can take hits, taking all the hits on the retinue. Then use holocaust
With the new retinue rules the Grandmaster is treated as an upgrade character for a retinue, rather than as an independent character hiding in a squad, so you've got no excuse to not put wounds on him with the change in how wounds are allocated in an assault.

Besides, I can't really call it cheesy, as you've just killed off a terminator (Or the rest of the squad) just to deny base to base contact with your Grandmaster just so you can use holocaust. Not much of a trade off in my opinion.

Now, having a Brother Captain with Holocaust standing next to a combat but NOT in combat, casting holocaust. I think that might earn a few cries of cheese.

#12 ·
something from the "Water list" Grey Knights: Using a hell lot of Land Raiders, and guys with flamers in them. Use some tanks to move over units and to get them lined up, then flame them. Will make a lot of casulties, and the flaming units is pretty well protected because of the Landraiders parked around, blocking LOS.

#13 ·
This works well for horde footslogging armies. Take your GM w/ holocaust + retinue in a LRC assault a big squad of orks that is close to another squad dont enter assault with both but instead just put your GM really close to the other squad after you kill a chunk of the first squad drop holocaust in the squad next to it. Since it says holocaust kills add to the total for combat you can really force squads of orks or gaunts to take lots of extra saves for being fearless / synapsed.

I do this against and ork footslogging list all the time and he hates me for it. I assaulted a 30 man mob before killed 13 with my attacks, lost 2 gkt then dropped holocaust into the mob next to me killing 9 causing me to win the combat by 20 so his remaining 17 orks had to make 20 saves for being fearless. (only one ork and his nob who took a wound survived) My GM and 1 gkt ended up surviving the charge from the 2nd squad and cleaned them all up in the next round. Got to say that GM and 5 GKT squad were my MVPs that game.

Something fun to do atleast to me is at 2k points just field a GM w/ hammerhand and some GKT + Stern with some GKT and then spend the last like 1400 points on PAGK squads. Effectively you will know most games if you will win or lose at the start as any tank heavy army will be next to impossible for you to kill but any infantry army you will just pwn.

#14 ·
callidus

so here is a simple one :
i use "a word in you ear" to move a heavy wep. squad out of cover into LOS of as many units as i can.
Depends on who's going 1st of course .
if i get to shoot 1st turn i move the unit closer and try toast that unit
or if not i move them behind something and that way at least i make them move back into cover/ or LOS -so they skip a turn of shooting.

(in 4 th edition i used this ability to position HQ or special characters so they were the only thing i could shoot ...so i could then pick off special models)

ps.
do u thiink it would be possible, with the present rule set, to move an independent character out of coherency with the squad he is attatched to when using this ability(ie more than 2 " from the rest of the squad)?
so that u could target him.....mmmm prob not but what do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.