Space wolf OBEL question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space wolf OBEL question

My space wolf scouts will be OBELing (operate behind enemy line) and i would like to know if they can move and assault on the turn that they arrive? I understand that one cannot move/assault when deepstriking but it does not say in the rulebook that OBEL is deepstriking. Please take in consideration that I am still using the 4th edition rule.

Thanks
    Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

Nobody plays space wolfs on this forum or is my question too difficult to answer?
    Any help will be appreciated.

meh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I think that you need to remember that everyone is here by choice and helps out when they can. It's a sunday night so a lot of last minute things that need to get done for Monday are being done right now. BTW I don't play SW so I can't help you with this. And where did you find the obel rule? I have never seen it before, so please reference where you found it so I can read it.

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

OBEL is NOT deepstrike. It's an entirely differnt type of entering the game, depicted by the wolf scouts running in from your enemies table side.

As far as game mechanics go, OBEL scouts are treated as reserves for which the rules can be found in the rulebook. The only thing you should interpret differently is the side they come onto the table from. This would be the table edge that you're enemy deployed at following the Space Wolves codex.

Nice to see more Space Wolves players.

Cheers,
    Wulf
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

count as moving on from a board edge, as defined in the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apologies if I sound a bit impatient. Its just that reaction on the forum are usually faster from my experience. I don't have the SW rulebook so I can't give the page in which the rule is on but it basically states that 1 unit of Sw scout can deploy in the enemy deployment zone using the reserve rule.

Thanks Wulfbanes for your reply. From my understanding, I can basically place my Scouts anywhere on his deployment zone using the reserve rule. My question is can I move and then shoot/assault also on the turn that they arrive just like the beginning of a game.

Any strategies are gears that I should us with OBEL. I will be facing IG in my next game and I plan on taking a max squad with a WG. They will all be equiped for close combat with a Meltagun/ bomb for armoured vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Falamin's post went on pretty much the same time as mine so I'll look up the moving from boards egde rule.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Aye coming off the board edge there is no restrictions to movement or shooting or assaulting besides you can't be within 1" of an enemy unless your assaulting

So I'd suggest a melt and anyone who can take a plasma pistol so you can get some deadly rear armor shots off if the opportunity presents itself.

Also something you could do that is very situational is if your opponent is deploying in a long line (and not butted up against the back edge, giving you room to deploy behind their line) spread your guys out as far as you can in a straight line and multi charge several of his units. This will be decimating to a gun line as it won't be resolved in one combat (most likely) and it'll tie up several of his units. If your going this route though than it might be best not to shoot as you want to make sure you charge. You don't want to kill all the target unit off or make them retreat or anything. again this is very unlikely to work out to your advantage as far as deployment and distances and such goes, but it's something to keep in your mind.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

Well, seeing I'm probably the only Space Wolves player who ties three units in from 750 points up I guess my strategies won't work too well if you're only getting one unit..

The thing with OBEL is, how cool it may sound, infiltrate can be so much more worthwhile, seeing that OBEL is unreliable as it depends on a roll. Now, in my army I can afford 1 obelling unit and 2 infiltrating units, but if you field only 1 scout unit, I better hope you have something else that can whip up tanks, against IG.

Best thing to do with scouts against IG is, IMO: 4 scouts: Meltagun, 2 plasma pistols.
    Against real armour, those three shots really count. Besides, afterwards, you're enemy either has to spend resources shooting this very cheap unit. (something that destroys a tank the instant you see it makes it quite the gun fodder), or they'll have to ignore your scouts, and pay for it the turn after when they charge a platoon. In melee against something weaker than a marine, scouts don't die. Besides, it's not hard to get to run down entire enemy platoons with a bunch of scouts if they're IG.

My other two scout units are commonly 6 man with plasmagun against IG. The plasmagun gives so much tactical advantage (tanks ignoring scouts get side/rear armour shots) and the large number of scouts makes them durable enough to assault your enemy's scoring units, delaying them, and when left unattended, running them down.

Cheers,
    Wulf
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

Just as additional clarification…Wolf Scouts using OBEL enter play via your opponents table edge (the one where their reserves enter play from). Reserves enter from your own table edge, according to P.94 of the BGB. Your own table edge is defined on P.88 of the BGB as the long table edge behind which you deploy. I mention all this so that you keep in mind that OBEL only works to deploy along the long table edge, not all the table edges of your opponents deployment zone. Also Spear Head missions you can still deploy along the full long table edge, but not at all along the short table edge in your opponents table edge.

Hope this helps some.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast