The new SM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new SM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new SM

Wanted to see what everyone thought of the new codex?
    Pro's and cons. Changes etc.
    I haven't had a chance to check it out yet as I am at sea (work on a yacht) but is at home waiting for me (counting the days). Looks like we get some cool new landraiders!

Everyone is corrupted by Chaos, myself more than others!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just the idea of 6 venerables made my day i read that and said yep know what im doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was really, truly impressed with it. Lets put it into perspective.

I walked into the store, set on buying some Chaos Marines and a Chaos codex. I planned out several possible army lists and was preparedI just skimmed through the new SM codex because it was on display, and proceeded to buy around 850 points of SM in one go.

The "Combat tactics" system is what caught my eye the most. Standard SM have a rule called combat tactics which gives them certain advantages when it comes to morale. The special characters all have rules that overide combat tactics and give your army a different bonus. Raven Guard armies can get an army-wide fleet, White Scars can outflank, ect.

The new Land Raider variant, Redeemer, is really nice. Especialy for my Salamander army. Its got Flamestorm cannons for sponsons, which are effectively super-flamers. Other than that, it works just like a crusader.

Vanguard Veterans are kind of unimpressive in my opinion, but worth mentioning. They work just like Assault squads but they have more attacks and can assault on the turn they deep strike.

Sternguard Veterans however, are just crazy. They use bolters or combi weapons that can fire normaly, or use one of 3 special ammo types. One of them allows them to fire 30", which is nice. On top of that, they're okay in CC, and with the right HQ they're scoring units even though they're Elites.

Tactical squads were probably the most changed. They can only take special/heavy weapons if they're full 10-man squads. I don't find it too limiting though, because you can combat-squad them down into two 5-man groups. Give one group a missle launcher for support, and give the other group a powerfist and a flamer then shove them into a Razorback and have fun.

Overall, I'm impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

meh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If GW kept the rules for scoring units the same as they were in 4th ed, that all units are considered scoring. Then this Codex would be completely overpowered in my opinion and I play SM. But since only troops choices are scoring that does a good job of keeping the whole thing in balance because if you don't take enough troops your screwed. So while there is a whole lot of new shiny powerful units, You should only be taking a few of them for competitive playing.
    The only bad thing that I see happening in the future with the new codex is that most people will think of it as the standard for 5th ed codexi, but probably it's going to be the only one that is that big or well done.

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

I miss traits.
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Get ready for some reading!

Just a quick rating of my opinion on the codex! Let's try and hit all the cool lil categories!

Composition: Like the recent new codeices (eldar and ork), the book is set up similar to Warhammer Fantasy Army Books. Reading front to back, I found no errors that I can think of! Which is always nice... There are a couple of questions that pop up in need of a FAQ, mainly having to do with deep striking and the effects of locator beacons and the new Land Speeder's special ability.

But there's always a question or two, right? So I'd hand it a straight 10/10

Fluff: Okay, as an Ultramarines player, I am happy of so much dedication to the boys in blue! HOWEVER, I do wish there had been a little more amount on the other chapters, namely Crimson Fists, Imperial Fists, and the Salamanders! I'd really like to know mroe about the sons of Dorn! 44 pages of fluff is amazing, and that's not counting the fluff page for each unit one can take!

That said, some of the fluff is a little over-the-top, even for genetically enhanced super humans in the 41st Millenia =P Occasionally I will see something and feel embarassed to play Ultramar's finest. For instance, it says that (of course not a direct quote) "it is said that an Ultramarins Honor Guard has been given more medals and commendations than an entire company of marines from any other chapter." Another example, after mentioning the White Scars and Imperial Fists, it states "but these chapters can never be Ultramrines as [they have a different primarch]." That sentence seems completely out of place, not only in the paragraph, but in the entire fluff of the universe!

So, aside from a few of these awkward moments, where I felt like I'd be hated for playing UM, I enjoyed the fluff! Again, a lot of it was focused on Ultramarines, and sometimes a little over the top in so doing, but I give it an 8/10.

New Stuff:

As stated before, Tac Squads have the new limitation imposed that they must be full strength to house special weapons. Make of it what you will, I'm not complaining for the reasons in the previous post!

HQs (in regards to Librarians and CHaplains... Masters of the Forge is next!) have had their stats changed a little, making them into more supportive roles. Example being a Librarian is not a CC monster anymore, but they have some really sick powers!

The Master of the Forge is a newly introduced HQ. First off, he has this badass weapon that gets stronger the farther the target is away! Apoc lovers rejoice! Second, if taken, he allows you to have dreads as Hevay Support, letting you get that 6 Dread army one may adore.

And speaking of Dreads, there's a new one to check out called the Ironclad. He has slightly better armor, and is built to rock face in CC. I haven't really sat down to check him out, and I am happy with my dreads currently, but there has been some excited ppl for it.

Other experienced warriors (I know... it's starting to sound like a bad GW writeup lol!) take the field in Vanguard and Sternguard Squads. While both are good all arounders, they excel in CC and mid-range fire respecively. I don't care what they say, I really wanna play out some Vanguard! Sternguard I ahven't tried either, but I played my friend who used some... There various ammo types are cool in utility, but one must remember that they die just like other marines.

On the other end of the spectrum, the fresh recruits (I know, it sounds worse and worse! I don't work for them I swear!) have some new toys. Scouts get new vehicles in the form of a Land Speeder variant that can actually haul them around, and new scout bikes. The bikes look absolutely amazing on paper, and have new rules (rather than just being scouts on bikes like in the old dex).

Finally, as far as new units go, there is a new LR as mentioned above, and a new Artillery piece called the Thunderfire Cannon. I like the rules of the cannon a ton (3 types of ammo like a whirlwind and sternguard), and it can be dropped in a pod, but like many new stuff, I haven't seen it in action yet.

Finally, my favorite thing, also mentioned above, is the new Chapter Tactics system. Zygh explained it perfectly, and it really is an awesome idea!

And to take advantage of it, there are the special chars. There are 4 UM special chars, 5 from other chapters, and 2 that are given as UM but can really be represented in any chapter. The codex actually encourgaes players that don't have theoir chapter represented to use the stats and rules for the premade special characters with a new name. Just as a preview, you have the UM Leaders (Calgar, Tiggy, and Cassius), the UM 2nd CO Captain, CF, IF, WS, RG, and Salamanders characters. The last 2 I mentioned is a Scout Sergeant that replaces a squads leader to bring some pretty cool abilities, and my favorite in concept, a tank commander that can dodge out of his exploding vehicle!

The chapter traits alone is worth 10 IMHO... 10/10 for cool new stuff!

OPness: Now this is the hardest part to rate, and I'm not sure I can do it properly. Meh makes a good point with the Troops being a necessity, and to make one's troops well equipped they have to field a full squad. There are a few things where I feel "WOW..." but again, I haven't gotten to try out all the new gadgets yet. So I'll levae this to other people to discuss. ??/10

IMHO, this codex was awesome. And not like everyone says "awesome" for like a cherry coke. This codex rocks.

And I promise I don't work for GW!

EDIT: And it has really pretty pictures!

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by VTSvsAlucard View Post
    (3 types of ammo like a whirlwind and sternguard),
    Sternguard actually have 5 different types of bolter ammo, Regular and the 4 different flavors of awesome.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Haha I guess they technically have 5 Grey2321 but why use the normal one ever? The only way I can see you using normal rounds is if you bought storm bolters and wanted the assault 2.

Anyway, one thing I'm very disappointed about in the codex is no iron hands rules. They could have made an awesome master of the forge character with a cool combat tactic, something like feel no pain but on a 5+ or 6+ instead, of regular FNP and slow and purposeful, or add 15 points to the tac squad and the sgt's get termie armor for free.

Also it would be cool if you could buy the traits as an upgrade for your captain or chapter master
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey2321 View Post
    Sternguard actually have 5 different types of bolter ammo, Regular and the 4 different flavors of awesome.

Actually, that quote's in reference to a Thunderfire having 3 types of ammo, like Sternguard and Whirlwinds have different types of ammo. And since it was brought up, whirlwinds have 2 types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey2321 View Post
    wrong again, read the special issue ammunition section in the codex (page 63), it doesnt state anything about using 'regular' ammo, it states that the special ammo replaces it.

Enjoy!

CR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast