Librarium Online Forums banner

Paint Scheme! Help me Brainstorm!

629 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Cheetahfurry 
#1 ·
Alright, I know everyone says paint scheme is something you have to choose well honestly I can't decide and could use some ideas. All I know is I want it to be resonably easy to paint as I have very little skills with painting. I also want it to be semi-unique (Not ultramarines!). Could someone help me decide?! Please shout out any colors you think would look good! This would help me a lot.

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
For starters, what chapter are you doin? Your own? One from the codex?

I can list off blue, purple, green, red all day but nothing will make the army yours unless we know what your going for.

So, what is the name of the chapter? Or even what is your favorite thing about the Space Marines? This could make for a color scheme thats goes with what you like. For example; tank heavy could be red for the Mechanicus, Green with flames(salamander) if you like melta guns and crisping your enemy with a good flame thrower shot, Black if you think they should stick to the shadows(raven guard).

Nox

#3 ·
With the new spray gun out any painting is easy, you can make an army completly red in a matter of an hour instead of 40 hours base coating them all. So when you get one of them the painting world is easy. If you are not very good I suggest a main black army, such as Black Templars or something, the most part is just a basic chaos black spray and them when you make a mistake cover it up in more chaos black. For any real paint begginer I would suggest balck armour, even if its black with green shoulder pads or blue shoulder pads and knee pads, given a good base (flock is super simple and fantastic looking) you flat colour model turns out pretty nice. To give your model a professional touch I like to paint the rim of the base in a brown instead of leaving it black, makes it look much more earthy...

#4 ·
well if you are doing a DIY Chapter then these go well together (in my opinion):

Grey with Bronze heads and shoulder pad rims.
Dark Blue with Silver forearms and backpacks.
Quartered Light Blue and Crimson

for an already existing chapter you could go with Iron Hands as they are easy to paint and are Dread-heavy (my favourite!)

cheers!

#5 ·
I may go my own chapter but I am looking for something that would look nice. Let me be a little more spefic. I would love to have either a Jungle chaper, a City chapter, or a snow chapter. The colors can be anything from there. I like earth tones and I am trying to make it uniquie. I love lukes suggestions as they are unique and I am thinking about them.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Cheers! Glad I could help!

anyway this wasn't my idea as I saw it in a White Dwarf magazine once, I think, but I thought I'd mention it as I like it a lot:

all shoulder plates segmented (like those on the Company Champion), with the lowest segment and the helm painted a dark blue, with the rest of the armour painted bone/white. the weapons' casings were also dark blue.

Have you done a test model yet? post it up if you have!

Cheers!

#7 ·
Lol, I thought you said you were a bad painter! I was going for easy options not unique ones, a snow chapter would be awesome, I vote for that one! (white can be a bitch to paint right though, but it would be cool!)

#8 ·
Personally, I'd choose my favorite looking shade of foundation paint as my main color - well something close to that so you can paint and then highlight.

I don't have any experience with the spray gun, I may need to look into that as well since I'm also just starting with the painting.

#11 ·
Good choice! If you can get the blue in a nice balanced consistency that could look great, what colour would you be doing it? I'm not sure what light blue citidel paints brings out...But the spray gun could do it! Oh yeah.

#12 ·
Well how about ice blue with some lighter blue hightlighting with a mix of ice blue and white? Is there a better color for an iceworld scheme? What about the veicles will they look good with the iceworld colors?

Oh, and how do I flock snow onto them to make it look good but not overdone?

#13 ·
Buy some citidel ice flock, I'm sure they will sell it somewhere? And if you make it more of a whiter blue than a deeper blue, then it will look better, so maybe 1:1 skull white and Ice blue, just to get a snowy ice look as apposed to a blue look.

#14 ·
I love the idea of the blue. What would you think about a 2:1 mix of White:Ice blue with some snow flock. Anyone have any idea how to make it look good to put flock on the guys such as dreads and tanks? I am not sure what or how to make it look like it's snowing and there is some on the tanks etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.