Red Scorpions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Scorpions

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Red Scorpions

Hi, well first off I really like the look of the Red Scorpions and the new Red Scorpions specific minis from Forge World.
    Which leads me to wanting to know as much about their fluff as possible (Combat Doctrine, preferred units, Special Characters - and the best "counts as" for them, etc, etc)

Also, would it be total heresy to switch the yellow in their paint scheme for gold/bronze?

Can anyone out there help me? Links and stuff (I've already read the Lexicanum page)

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

All the fluff and special rules for them is contained in Imperial Armor 4: The Anphelion Project.

About the color scheme, it's your army, you can paint it as you like? You can say its a different company if you like, but nobody's going to mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Welcome to the world of Red scorpions! I started this army just like you are now, searching for information haha. Well i will help you the best i can.

First a few links!

Commander Culln Rules

My Red Scorpion WIP (Red Scorpion WIP)

Red Scorpions as far as i have seen stick to the codex fairly well. Although they have diverted with "Purity Above All" in order to keep their gene seed pure. To ensure this happens they use Apothecaries in their tactical squads(Rules found in Imperial Armour 6).

Current rules can be found in Imperial armour 6, but fluff and army composition can be found in IA4 and IA6. I would consider buying these or finding someone who has them so you can do a little reading in there. After pouring over the internet for a few weeks i finally went out and bought the first book(IA4) and found that so much more usefull than anything on here.

As far as the book goes they seem to use a lot of Tactical squads with rhinos, Dreadnoughts, and of course Apothecaries. Missile Launchers and Plasma Guns are in the Tactical squads that they show in detail which is how i equiped mine.

So far i have seen the color of 3rd company and 6th company i believe and they both apear to use the same color scheme. Instead of mixing it up with different trim for different companies it looks as though its all uniform. But i do not see a reason why you could not go for a gold/bronze look, would look pretty nice. other than that they are a dark gray. Quite a plain chapter actucally but i love the models.

Ill have more info for you later. gotta get back to work.

Nox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Welcome to the world of Red scorpions! I started this army just like you are now, searching for information haha. Well i will help you the best i can.

First a few links!

Commander Culln Rules

My Red Scorpion WIP (Red Scorpion WIP)

Red Scorpions as far as i have seen stick to the codex fairly well. Although they have diverted with "Purity Above All" in order to keep their gene seed pure. To ensure this happens they use Apothecaries in their tactical squads(Rules found in Imperial Armour 6).

Current rules can be found in Imperial armour 6, but fluff and army composition can be found in IA4 and IA6. I would consider buying these or finding someone who has them so you can do a little reading in there. After pouring over the internet for a few weeks i finally went out and bought the first book(IA4) and found that so much more usefull than anything on here.

As far as the book goes they seem to use a lot of Tactical squads with rhinos, Dreadnoughts, and of course Apothecaries. Missile Launchers and Plasma Guns are in the Tactical squads that they show in detail which is how i equiped mine.

So far i have seen the color of 3rd company and 6th company i believe and they both apear to use the same color scheme. Instead of mixing it up with different trim for different companies it looks as though its all uniform. But i do not see a reason why you could not go for a gold/bronze look, would look pretty nice. other than that they are a dark gray. Quite a plain chapter actucally but i love the models.

Ill have more info for you later. gotta get back to work.

Nox
    Thank you very much for Commander Culln's Rules! They look great!
    and i've already been keeping an eye on your WIP, your minis were actually what prompted me to look into the Red Scorpions!

I'm thinking with starting off with:
    1x 10man Terminator Squad (including Commander Culln)
    2x 10man Tactical Squads w/ Apothecaries and 1x Razorback and 1x Rhino
    1x 10man Assault Squad
    1x Land Raider Helios (can these transprt Terminators?)

would it be more fluffy to have Vanguard Vets in place of the Assault Marines? I'd love to be as fluffy as possible.

should all the marines have those cool helmets? (the ones on all the Forge World Red Scorpions models)

thanks heaps Isao Nox! And I'll be sure to grab those copies of IA as soon as possible!
    Last edited by luke.noorda; November 5th, 2008 at 17:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Technically the bodies and heads that forge world sells are for veteran squads(sternguard and command squads i supose) but i wanted to be a completely different army at my store and use them as tactical squad bodies. They sell the shoulder pads so you could buy those and a normal tac squad and be done. The way im going will cost you a good 70 dollars per squad.. But IA4 and IA6 both show just regular SM bodies, doesnt have to be the FW models.

Helios: Looks so cool IMO. I have the upgrade just need the landraider haha. And with the machine spirit rules its so much better. I dont remember the rules(they are in a different IA all together!)(so you would need three books) but i wanna say its capacity might be less..

Other than that what you are wanting to get looks good. I would keep them regular assault marines unless you want vanguard(models are cool for red scorps), just for points sake.

*If you need a more clear cut answer to your Questions just ask. At work so i kinda have to walk away from this and then come back in the middle of sentences*

Nox

EDIT: Just found the helios rules. You can download them on the same page as Culln on forgeworlds site. Its the book above him with the drop pod
    Last edited by Isao Nox; November 5th, 2008 at 19:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

thanks heaps Nox! great info.

i heard that they go heavy on Tactical Squads and Drop Pods, is this true? i always prefer to represent fluff in my force.

any other nifty pointers i might need for my soon-to-be army?

Cheers!

oh, and could you please post a link to the Helios' rules? i've looked high and low but for the life of me i can't find them anywhere.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Ya sure here ya go, top of page 5. This is from forgeworld.com's dowload page for IA updates.

IA2 PDF update

In my book they have all Tactical Squads, Rhinos, and Razorbacks. Heavy on both the transports. Havnt seen anything on drop pods yet, but i only got a peek at the new IA6 book.

Plasma gun and rockit launcher are the only weapons in the tactical squad profile that are mentioned in the way of spec weapons. dreadsnought are used. The one they sent to fight tyranids died as it killed a carnifex(pretty nice story in the book).

The only tip i have is to make the models look very nice. Try out conversions and get nice looking weapons for them(deathwatch bolters for sternguard?). Also, the veteran squad pack from forgeworld comes with 11 bodies instead of just 10. The 11th is for a sergeant but i used it to make a couple HQ units.

As for gameplay tips, i use rhinos all the time. That combined with FNP is amazing. But also make sure to ask if it is alright to use your FW rules in a game. Tournaments are almost never aloud, so standard marines is the way to go.

Nox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

okay, so with tactical squads and dreads in mind i got a new list:

Carab Culln
    Dreadnought
    Sternguard Squad, in Rhino
    Tactical Squad, in Rhino
    Tactical Squad, in Razorback
    Tactical Squad, in Razorback

the only problem is i don't really know what Carab Culln is doing. should i also pick up a terminator squad for him?

as for modelling, i'm thinking give the Sergeants and Sternguards Mk IV armour and special looking weapons. i also might pick up the Van Vets as they just look awesome.

and i am also looking to get a reasonable force on the table top, so does this look alright?

thanks heaps for all your input, Isao Nox!!

caio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Ya looks good to me. Sounds good for the sergeants and vets. Like that. As for the vanguard, yes they look awesome! Costly(points and $)... But awesome.

Ya I would pick up one terminator squad for Culln. They send them in first to eliminate threats, then the tactical squads to hold and bulk fighting.

Nox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

thanks heaps for all the valuable advice, Nox. as soon as i have the time/money to collect such a force, i'll start a WIP, so you can see how i'm faring and give me a few pointers.

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread