havin problem fighting SM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

havin problem fighting SM

I go up against SM all the time and man do i hate it. So i was wondering what advice can someone give me about fighting an SM army. I fight the same guy all the time and he has an army built to counter my army. he fields a whirlwind with two tactical squads each squad has a heavy bolter and then he has an assault squad with all power weapons. Kills my tank all the damn time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be able to outnumber him unless you're trying to take him on with all tanks. You should be able to get enough heavy weapons to get a bead on the WWs with several LCs or MLs. Kill them first. If his troops are in vehicles, kill them next. Make his boys walk across the table. Target the Assault troops next. Finally back to the walking troops. You may only have flashlights and not shoot real well with them, but you should have a boatload of them. Make him take as many saves as possible. A flashlight will kill a marine. Given sufficient saves to make, he will fail them in time.
    Yes, there are female marines and my Sunhawks will let you know in a major way.

Not all the Emperors Children turned coat. We will redeem our name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

He seems to be focusing solely on anti-horde firepower. This means you should be able to use Leman Russes as SM killing machines, and he'll have to assault in order to have a decent chance of killing your armor. Keep in mind that a Leman Russ or a Basilisk can function as reasonable anti-tank weaponry as well, so if you have a bassie, it might be a good idea to take a potshot at his whirlwind while it's still out of range to shoot at your troops.

Most importantly, find cover and hold it.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

How many points are you playing? I'm assuming a large game, 1850-2000 with my advice, but the concepts can be applied to smaller lists.

As a marine and guard player I can say marines will have a tough time dealing with multiple leman russ's. Use 3 and it'll be a nightmare for him, take multiple lascannons yourself and any small amount of armor he can field will be dead before you know it. Screen you tanks with your infantry that way if he drop pods any guys they may be out of melta range due to your infantry and you should have a cover save.

Those fancy assault troops he has will die really quickly after they massacre the first unit, keep your units close enough together to rapid fire once he's done butchering a guard unit but far enough that he can't multi-charge, shouldn't be a problem considering how few troops he has. That being said, make sure you take plenty of bodies. 2 platoons of at least 3 squads each and his 2 tactical will have a hard time to deal with them and the tanks.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you.. I will try these things. cant believe i did not think of this myself but thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alos one more thing. his assault guys can jump over my infantry and what not he told me. so will that putting my infantry in front of my tank really work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

while on the topic; i'm encountering a similiar situation; my main problem is killing their special characters, in my case, namely Sicarius with his artificer armor, iron halo, and feel no pain.

most times, he'll attach sicarius to a 10-man terminator squad, which is then itself used as a cover shield for the rest of his guys running across the board (aside from a missile devastator squad and w/e tactical combat teams are holding objectives in the rear).
    in addition to whether he put a squad infiltrating/outflanking from sicarius' abilities.

once sicarius gets into charge range, he's pretty much safe and killing a squad or two per turn.

though currently, i've regrouped after losing practically all my games against him with my all-comers airborne drop troops regiment. and my current scheme is in our campaign game scheduled tomorrow, i plan to blind side him with 2 LR's, a LR demo, 4 lascannon sentinels and every grenade launcher and flamer upgraded to plasma; he's never seen me play a different list so he hopefully shouldn't see the anti-meq hammer list coming.

i just need to beat him twice, and he's held me off 7 times previously; draws go to him as defender... the shame is, we've ended up doing annihilation most of the time, he has 8 killpoints to my 25; and those terminators tend to end up hidden in some corner with the sole purpose of living since i have to completely 'annihilate him off the board to win most times.

an upcoming game against a vulkan-themed army and another against pedro kantor are also in my not too distant future. (luckily no one's showed with lysander's 2+armor/3+invuln eternal warrior dilemma)

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

3 russes and plasma spam is the way to go.

Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Most space marine armies have a hard time defeating IG armies.

Most common remarks from their point of view:
    -IG outshoots SM. Same amout of points so many more heavy weapons!
    -So many of them, impossible to finish killing them all in 6 turns!
    -Hard to rout them by shooting. (standard bearer, iron discipline)
    -Leman Russ tank tough as nail! (Missile Launchers need 6s to glance)
    -Overwhelming fire power, 1,000 points can kill average 10 marines a turn even with 3+ armour saves considered.
    -Battle Cannon killed my whole squad that just came out of the drop pod!

Conclusions:
    -Heavy weapon squad spam
    -Infantry/Conscript spam
    -Leman Russ Tank firepower sponge
    -Standard bearer and iron discipline for officers (You can regroup squads under 50% too!)
    "Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read up on the jump infantry rules, but he should only be able to jump your guys if he can start and end in open ground. If you keep your guys in base contact with your tank, he shouldn't be able to jump them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast