which one to take Rough riders or Storm troopers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Rough riders vs Storm troopers

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rough Riders

23 45.10%
  • Strom troopers

28 54.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which one to take Rough riders or Storm troopers

Well now i've got an poll for you guys. Basically which one do you think is better to use. (If you want you can use doctrines.) Rough riders are the fast horse-riding cavalary of the imperial forces and the quickest infrantry of the inperial guard. Were as the storm troopers are able to deep-strike or infiltrate. Have a better save but still have the problem that they are pretty slow and are hopeless at close combat.

Personally i like rough riders as they are very fast but the choice is yours vote away players

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Rough riders are actually better bescause stormtroopers are overpriced...However there are situations where rough riders will do horribly, and stormtroopers will perform well, keep this in mind.
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I wholeheartedly prefer roughriders to stormtroopers. That's as the option of grenadiers isn't there - scoring troops, with a BS of 4, better armour save, and good ranged weaponry.

rough riders are a great one shot assault unit.

It's like comparing carrots and a grapefruit really, different uses and personal preference will rule.

(Do you want you fast attack slots for hellhounds? Elite slots for hardened vets etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

from an 'almost no guard experience' point of view, I'd choose rough riders. Storm troopers don't seem that much better than a normal squad to me, while the riders adds something different (plus gives you something to kill terminators )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an"elite"choice Stormies underwhelm.

As a troop choice Grenadiers are not bad and in 4th ruled the world.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stormies all the way. rough riders are only a one hit wonder (literally) and they have a worse save and for a smaller squad of assault troops without a transport 5+ just don't cut it.

stormies have a better SV, BS, and the little used targeters (and they are pretty cool) while they aren't tailored for up-close and personal work their Veteran Sergeants can take a power weapon in case things get dicy, and they all have frags and kraks standard. and they can take a transport, infiltraite, or deep strike.
    "War is crulity. It is of no use trying to reform it. The cruler it is, the faster its over." William Sherman

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Storm Troopers for me. Get them behind enemy lines and start making havoc, especially against vehicles, artillery and all-gun no-CC units like Devastators. I admit they performed better in the last edition, when there wasn't the emphasis on troops and holding objectives, but still they usually perform well enough that I'm glad to have had them in my list. Rough Riders are better only if the enemy invests heavily in a Death Squad-O-Doom (ex. Blood Angels) and they manage to get the charge with most of their model count.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2 cents

i voted for rough riders for 2 reasons

1) if you want the deepstriking plasma or melta death take a veteran squad as you get 1 mor special wpn

2) rough riders are one of the 2 imperial guard ynits that can perform well in combat if they charge and have lances.

but with out knowing your list and your playing style it is hard to tell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

An 11 point model that can knock down a 'fex in one turn(if you roll decent), sign me up for that. Rough Riders all the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think roughriders are better even if they are a one hit wonder that one hit can easily turn the game in your favour. But from a personal point of veiw i prefer stormies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast