I dont know what to pick - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know what to pick

I havent played 40k in a long time and when I did I played Space Marines, IG and Eldar. But now after playing fantasy for years I'm thinking of getting back into 40k. The armies I like are Space Marines, Orks and Eldar. I cant make up my mind on which one to choose. I like them all.

All the armies have things I like. SM with all the tanks and the thunderfire Cannon. Eldar with the grav tanks, walkers, harlequins and wraithlord. Orks because you can field alot.

I just cant decide which one.Please help me decide. All I have is the small rule book a friend let me have.

PS I dont have any 40k army.

Last edited by pietaster; November 16th, 2008 at 19:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by pietaster View Post
    I havent played 40k in a long time and when I did I played Space Marines, IG and Eldar. But now after playing fantasy for years I'm thinking of getting back into 40k. The armies I like are Space Marines, Orks and Eldar. I cant make up my mind on which one to choose. I like them all.

All the armies have things I like. SM with all the tanks and the thunderfire Cannon. Eldar with the grav tanks, walkers, harlequins and wraithlord. Orks because you can field alot.

I just cant decide which one.Please help me decide. All I have is the small rule book a friend let me have.

PS I dont have any 40k army.
    Being an Imperial loyalist, I'd advise you to take SM. Being able to field both a large number of men in a 1000point army and being so flexible in their deployment, you can hardly go wrong mate.

Do let us know what you decide on in the end though.

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy Black Reach box set. That way you can get orks and marines, 500 pts each.
    And its very cheap.

After play testing each army you can decide which army you want. If you choose orks, go find someone who brought Black Reach aswell and trade youre marines for his orks
    Desolation Fists - 600pts

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by 1939away View Post

After play testing each army you can decide which army you want. If you choose orks, go find someone who brought Black Reach aswell and trade youre marines for his orks
    Or vice-versa if you like the marines!

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by 1939away View Post
    Buy Black Reach box set. That way you can get orks and marines, 500 pts each.
    And its very cheap.

This!

Pretty good advice, really. The new black reach mini's are actually fairly decent, in the past I would've been loathe to grab one of the starter boxes, but this aint too bad a deal.

As for Eldar, well, many GW's have store built showcase armies - your local store may have an eldar army they might let you borrow for an in-store game. Maybe. If they look over your shoulder a lot.

Just tell them you are stuck between the 3 armies, and after surviving the 'buy the black reach box, buy the black reach box' assault, tell them you'd like see how Eldar run first. Just keep in mind that the store army probably isn't a very balanced army - it will be a showcase, and thus probably doesn't run too well in a real game. But it might still give you an idea of how they work, if they let you use them.

This might work for marines and orks as well, depending on what showcase armies they have on hand. Well. They will have a marine showcase, that much is just about guarenteed.

My strongest piece of advice, however - go with the mini's you think LOOK the best. This is important - you will be spending a lot of time modelling and painting these things, and you could lose interest if you choose something that you think plays the best but doesn't look cool enough. Also, if you choose something that you think looks awesome, you'll probably take more pride in each mini, and have more fun when you field them on the table.
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; November 17th, 2008 at 02:29. Reason: grammar gramar garmar grammar
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie View Post

My strongest piece of advice, however - go with the mini's you think LOOK the best. This is important - you will be spending a lot of time modelling and painting these things, and you could lose interest if you choose something that you think plays the best but doesn't look cool enough. Also, if you choose something that you think looks awesome, you'll probably take more pride in each mini, and have more fun when you field them on the table.

thats what i do/did
    thats why i went with space marines even though everyone is like "ah EVERYONE goes with space marines, and they are so overpowered blabla new codex blabla only new players blabla blabla etcetc"

you get my drift ^^
    its also why i've got an orcs and goblins army in FB, even though they are a pain to play with lol
    MEAT IS MURDER, And murder tastes pretty good! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

My advise is if you are not set on space marines, don't go space marines. They are great and fun, but people will like you more if you are the ork guy or the eldar guy more.

If you plan on eventually getting a second army I would buy two black reach sets and then play Orks, and hold on to the marines so once your Orks are done you can start them, but your gaming community will apreciate it if you diversify the army pool before you take marines.

+ Reply to Thread