Topic of the Week: Orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Topic of the Week: Orks

Sorry that I skipped a week between topics guys! Had a lot on this past few days.

But here it is, the new topic! And a doozy it is too.

The new ork codex has been out for a little while now, but people are still trying new methods to smash you with their green horde!

I've overheard many people talking about how they could possibly be the best tournament level army out there at the moment (I certainly know a bunch of people who will be crying Waaaagh! at the upcoming Arcanacon tournament here in Melbourne).

But I still think a well played, well thought out IG army should be able to take on any opponent, feel-no-pain nobs on bikes and equal point for point ork VS guardsman notwithstanding.

So. What have you guys seen these shifty opponents field? What tactics? And what would you recommend to take them on?

So yeah - you know the drill! Let's start theorising, quoting, referencing, telling tales (tall or not), and writing army lists! And if any greenskin reads this thread, please, don't hesitate to add a comment or two!

Only one rule this time around: Try and avoid complaining about stuff. Let's make this constructive!

"Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hellhounds are nice against orks but also nice against other races.

RRs beat bikes hands down if they can get the charge.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

As an ork player I regularly field 6-9 kans with grotzookas, 2-3 squads of 7 lootas, 2 force field meks and the rest of the points in boys squads, 30 strong. Left over points are usually taken up by grotz squads. I often field 200 ish models at 1500 points. While I have not lost with the list so far I can give you all pointers as an ork player.

1. As you are likely fielding a fair few guardsmen it pays to take out ork template weapons. Orks can field quite a few so be familiar what can have them.

2. Biker nobs do have a weakness, lascannons. Seeing as how guard can field more than anybody else it might pay to have a few. Melta weapons are also good, but you will probably want the range. Demolisher sheels are more efficient so they might be a good idea.

3. Facing horde orks? Shoot the squads with the force fields first. It may take a turn or two but you would be surprised how many 5+ cover saves can be made by your opponent (orks are well versed in rolling 5+ with their BS after all!)

4. Lootas. If you don't have armour 13 or less he will target your troops with 4+ saves (I know I do!). Kill them first (Overrides all other points!) because I have taken out 3 vehicles a turn with just 21 lootas against guard.

5. Avoid all ork infantry like the plague. Rob them of the charge if you have no other choice. Hit them with at least 3 guard to 1 ork where possible, that is a good assurance that you can make them break (fearless is not their friend if they lose a combat.)

6. Don't rely on ordinance. In my experience it scatters that little bit too far a bit too often and if my force fields are up, I will pass more saves than you would like. A note on kustom force fields, flame templates negate them. They are after all a cover save. Hellhounds will serve you well, just don't let lootas get to shoot them. Hold them in reserve so you have time to take out his lootas before it hits the table.

Thats about all I can think of right now. If I think of anything else I will post it later
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Ahh...the Ork.

I've laughed, I've cried, I've cackled maniacally while playing them. First, a couple experiences:

Kommandos are scary. I've had them come waltzing on the board directly behind my gunlines far too many times, and the only thing that stopped them from wreaking too much havoc was my chimeras and hellhound coming on the board the next turn directly behind THEM. Flame templates=massive orky death.

Kans are an easier take-down, great for a sentinel to whet it's appetite on.

Lootas: KEEP ALL ARMOR AWAY FROM THEM. I had one group of about 12 or so roll a 6 for shooty, so I had about 36 rounds all pounding into one of my tanks side armor. Swiss russ, anyone? And its worse when the mob gets all spaced out, so that arty makes less of a difference. Maybe a deepstrike team to tie them up in CC? Hmmmm....

Trukks make me cry. I had two "Vehicle Annihilated" rolls on the Ord table back in 4th ed, one right after another. Each trukk was able to drive off and drop its infantry. If I could have destroyed them outright like the rolls said, I could have turned the battle effectively. Gotta engage them far out so that the infantry have to hoof it.

Warboss on a Wartrakk: Vanquisher + LOAD SABOT! AIM FOR HIS FACE! No drift + Ordinance = dead boss. Though I do have to admit, I shot him up a little before that. But definitely want to take that guy out right away.

Stormboys die pretty easily, just make sure you get a chance to shoot at them. And they can be defeated in Hand to Hand by a small squad of Guardsmen.

And that's pretty much what I've faced. Again, flamers, flamers, flamers. Those are ork killers. Mortars are effective as well. The infantry gunline can do a number, and its even better when you've got Grenadiers or Stormtroopers supporting the line; lots of orks won't even get a chance, unless they've got cover. Taking out transports as soon as possible is a wise move, and aside from that, do the best you can to keep the stormboys from getting too close. And those are all my musings for the moment.
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

To reiterate, Hellhounds do great against Orks. Their weapon's range, strength, and AP mean that it does terrible damage against the green tide. Flamers are a little more difficult to use, but a few JO command squads with Flamers could cause real damage if they get a chance to shoot.

Ideally with a gunline, against Orks I'd like to mix in Heavy Bolters and Missiles for my line squads, with JO command squads bringing mortars, Hellhounds and Leman Russes for armor, and a few Fire support squads with autocannons. Heavy Bolters would provide a good rate of fire in key areas in order to keep the longer ranged weapons firing. Missiles can work both against transports and especially tough Orks, with the frag missile being a good option against densely packed, infantry heavy armies. Mortars can hide out and still allow the JO to keep troops in line, while Hellhounds and Leman Russes put down excellent Ork killing templates. Autocannons allow for first turn shooting, and the high str/AP makes wounding and killing much easier, as well as having the ability to consistantly pop transports.

Mechanized IG is generally riskier than gunlining it, and against Orks the story is no different. Yes, Orks have horrible aim, but they do have the ability to shoot a LOT of missiles at you. I would consider dismounting from transports very early in the game and moving grenadiers around to objectives while allowing the rest of my armor to roll together. After thinning their numbers out, a fun tactic to use is just tank shocking the heck out of everything you see. I do this using Sisters of Battle Rhinos all the time, though SoBs get the advantage of having Laud Hailers.

In any case, I've never had the fear of Orks that a lot of players get, though I have only played a few games against them with the new codex.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somthing funny that happened to me a few hours ago, a ork killa kan penatrated my chimera, it exploded and in a chain reaction exploded the kan killing it and unit of nob bikers.
    Last edited by major moss; November 19th, 2008 at 21:04.
    If Slaanesh is the god of the Perverse, why does Nurgle have all the filth?

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by major moss View Post
    Somthing funny that happened to me a few hours ago, a ork killa kan penatrated my chimera, it exploded and in a chain reaction exploded the kan killing it and unit of nob bikers.
    That is pretty funny! Although I don't see how it managed to hurt the Kan, I don't think an exploding tank could actually manage to damage another vehicle under the new rules.

Meh. Well done for the sacrificial chimera!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddy who uses Orks takes so many different lists that it's hard to know what to prepare for... But he really loves his bikers, masses of boyz in trukks, and Old Zogwort to turn enemy Independent Characters into squigs . I find that lascannons, autocannons, and heavy bolters work well to divert the trukks, and template weapons work wonders against the boyz that come pouring out.

In my experience... Firepower, firepower, and more firepower is usually the key against Orks.
    Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by NovaJohn View Post
    2. Biker nobs do have a weakness, lascannons. Seeing as how guard can field more than anybody else it might pay to have a few. Melta weapons are also good, but you will probably want the range. Demolisher sheels are more efficient so they might be a good idea.
    Remember that most of the time there is a Warboss in the unit for them to dump Lascannon wounds on so no Nobz get inta-killed. Demolisher shells are really the only way to get around this (as they insta-kill the Warboss as well).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those trukks give me more hell than i can stand. I try to focus on all their troops first, trying to take those burna boyz my opponent loves. Then it just seems like his trukks just do not want to die.

Kommando's also give me hell, my bassilisk rarely makes it out alive

Overall I dont have a problem since i am usually sneaky when i fight them. I take plenty of pie plates, kill loota's (first priority), i wont hesitate to take my flamers in line squads along side missiles, then my rear line takes grenade launchers and missiles.
    Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast