Soo... Legion of the Damned... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soo... Legion of the Damned...

Is it just me. Or do these guys really seem I dunno... substandard. I love the concept behind them, and I played them before back in third ed. when they had their Chapter Approved rules. If I remember correctly.

But in this book they just seem so... meh. The 3+ invulnerable is nice, but no savvy opponent is gonna lock himself in combat or waste much on them unless they just use normal marine killing tactics. (Make them roll a bazillion armor saves.) And with being slow and purposeful it's really easy to get around them or avoid them.

All in all they pack the same punch as a normal tactical squad, (which imo kinda defeats their fluff where they just appear, own face, shooting hellfire and brimstone, then leave again) and are a bit tougher to get rid of. Weighing in at their hefty cost plus upgrades. I really see no point in taking them over any of the other elite squads really. Except for fluff reasons. =/

I dunno am I missing something maybe?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are good in combat with guys that would normall waste them. Imagine them going against say Eldar Banshees. The INV will save while a normal marine would be diced. I know this is a single instance but a 3+ save vs no save. it is also good against items that negate saves such as an AP1 weapon. You can march them todwards it with without fear where even terminators would be a ltitle worried due to their worse inv save. VERY niche though, I don't see them being very useful much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

well i am painting up 5 of them for my army, and giving one of them a plasma cannon to boot... I can see them as being great because they will scare the crap out of people
    I mean a squad of marines dropping into enemy lines will definately draw alot of attention and will give the rest of your army time to get into position... So I see them as being very useful....
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their okay and have nice fluff but I really dont like the flames and bones they are a bit to retro in a modern 40k world
    If Slaanesh is the god of the Perverse, why does Nurgle have all the filth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

the old models are awesome and new models are awesome, who really cares if there good or not on the field

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is I wish you could make a whole Legion of the damned army. Make an army with them as the main troops and allow only some heavy weapons which could deepstrike. I would love to make a Legion dread! Imagine that a dread covered with bones etc!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

you guys have gotta be kidding me. this unit has amazing potential. You could DS a unit of vehicle slaying monsters for 190 w/ plasmagun and missle launcher, who will take the most brutual beating and still keep blowing stuff up. Not to mention if you want to really throw some points into these guys.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I am going to use a unit as heavy infantry with plasma cannon and plasma gun.
    Lets go massacre something

I am a sexy shoeless god of war!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
    the old models are awesome and new models are awesome, who really cares if there good or not on the field
    New models?! I haven't heard of this O.o

As for the models in games, I've made up 7 of my spare marines into "Legion of the Damned" (chaos armour mixed with loyalist, and bullet holes through their bodies) with a heavy bolter and meltagun, not the best configuration but they were the first weapons I found lying around. >.>

Only used them in one game so far though, dropped in, shot, my opponent thenthrew two mobs of CSM at them. They promptly got wiped out (invulnerable or not, they're still 3+ saves -_-). Too expensive for usual games (prefer Sternguard with a pod over these guys) but for fun, hell yes.
    Iron Swords 3rd Company - We are the swords which reap the bodies of our foes.

Train of thought will be terminating at.. edible murder weapons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mesi View Post
    And with being slow and purposeful it's really easy to get around them or avoid them.
    Does mean that they can move and shoot heavy weapons though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast