Sternguard Conversion Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Sternguard Conversion Ideas

Basically the title says it all; I got a few ideas myself, and would like to see what you all think of them.

But mainly I was hoping to start a thread where you all post up your own ideas, so I can steal them if I think they are better than mine!

Anyway, couple o' my ideas:

1) Use Terminator ammo stocks (pretty standard, seen it used a fair bit, looks good)
    or
    2) Have kind of "mini Heavy Bolters" with a belt going from a small ammunitions box, attached to the Back Pack, to where the original magazine is.

3) Maybe widened and/or elongated Boltguns. Not too sure on this though, do any of you think it'd look good/bad?
    4) I had the idea of creating a second handle at the end of the gun, instead of the reloading thingy.
    5) Add silencers (like the one on Telion).
    6) Put a scope on every Boltgun and file down the little sighter bit which sticks up at the end and top of the gun (like tintin's hair, lol)

Any ideas of your own?
    Should I go with converting a Tactical Squad? (I'd rather not buy G-W Sternguard Models, although they do look really great).

Thanks heaps for any/all comments, criticisms and your own ideas regarding anything remotely to do with Sternguard Veterans.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine are a work in progress for Crimson Fists

Tactical Marines as the basis

Terminator Honour Shoulder Pads
    Crimson Fist Pads and Backpacks
    Power Fist from Assualt marines and 1 from Dev's (i have 2 squads of 5 stern)
    Liturgies and purity seals. Sights on all bolters and a magazine from the side of the normal marines bolters to represent the ammo but remain understated.

Makes them stand out but not like a "this is a conversion look at me" level
    I came, I typo'd, I editted
    Orc / Empire / Deamon WFB (indecisive)
    Crimson Fists approaching 10 undefeated at 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

hmm...
    so did you move the bolt-clip from the belly of the weapon to the side? as I was thinking of doing something along those lines for my Vanguard Veterans' Bolt Pistols to make them stand out a little... care to post some pictures? it'd be interesting to know how that style turned out.

And I have heard (and seen) a fair bit of Sternguard conversions based on the robed Dark Angel figures and Black Templar minis, but was hoping to go in a different direction. I am hoping to have it as so they look like an elite Tactical Squad, rather than the very gothic, monk feel some people have opted for. what do you think?

Cheers! and EVERYONE post your ideas now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont have a camera atm as dad is zealous in his refusal to let me near his digital stuff. When he relents (christmas chocolates tend to work ) ill show u how ive got on
    I came, I typo'd, I editted
    Orc / Empire / Deamon WFB (indecisive)
    Crimson Fists approaching 10 undefeated at 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a box in, but I'm using the Dark Angels Veterans as my basis for all my Sternguard that and their sword shoulderpads are a perfect fit with the theme of my army. ^^ As for the bolters, I was going to cannibalise a bunch of bolter clips, and glue them to the side of the bolters where the casings would be ejected :x Haven't got enough terminator storm bolters (or otherwise) lying around to make ammo drums unfortunately. >< Robes, sword shoulders, extra clip bolters, maybe some purity seals, and done

Looking forward to converting some combi-weapons though >:3
    Iron Swords 3rd Company - We are the swords which reap the bodies of our foes.

Train of thought will be terminating at.. edible murder weapons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Look at the total cost of your conversions. Two boxes of Sterns are $70 retail, and if you get the 20% off... they are not that expensive for 10 metal guys... I was looking at Deathwatch conversion pack on top of Tac squad box, bitz from TheWarStore and other sources, but it all came close to the original cost of Sterns... Too bad I ordered shoulder pads on-line already, because, after all is said and done, unless you need your Sterns to be UNIQUE, getting the actual models makes most $$$ sense...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

A lot of the conversions that are floating around the tubes use the clips from the vehicle storm bolters and not Terminator ones.

I plan to cannibalize my Commander box set when I start making Sternguard. There are several good shoulder pads in there, two combi weapons, and lots of little seals, parchments, and doo-dads to spice up some normal marines.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

thanks for the great info guys! and i'm not too worried about spending money, I got a good job, and nothing to spend my money on haha! and so am more interested in the UNIQUE-ness factor, so what does everyone think about my "mini Heavy Bolter" idea? any tips or advice? as I think that kind of conversion could look pretty cool (if I manage to pull it off!).

also, the army which I will be doing the Sternguards for is my, as of yet in the planning stage, Red Scorpions. So I will be ordering a Red Scorpions Tactical Squad from Forge World soon (the one with the super-cool Sergeant Haas!). Any advice or concerns regarding the converting of resin models?

are there any more ideas/conversion that any of you have seen/heardof/made up?

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
    I was looking at Deathwatch conversion pack on top of Tac squad box
    Same idea here, and the sternguard special ammo is very similar to Deathwatch ammo. The Deathwatch upgrade kit on GW's web-site (scoped bolters, heads, shoulder pads) ain't cheap, but it's enough to convert 10 plastic marines and make them look pretty slick.

Since the bits for combi-meltas become cost prohibitive, i green stuffed 5 snausages of combi-melta to the end of some old bolters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a huge bunch of those old bolters that have the shoulder stock in the back that are too small for todays guys. I only have enough guys to make 5 sterngaurd at this point so my idea will work. I have cut off the ammo mounts from the old bolters and added one to each side of the good bolters to represent each type of ammo. Also I have added the scopes to the bolters. And of course I am using fancy shoulder pads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast